FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Downrigger rods for trout/salmon??  (Read 6367 times)

Maine Trout Whisperer

Downrigger rods for trout/salmon??
« on: May 11, 2015, 08:59 PM »
I need to get 2 rods to run on my downriggers for lake trout and salmon up in Maine. Any suggestions? I have tried a few that I had kickin around but most seemed too stiff to really load up on the rigger. The 5 foot 6 ugly stik lite worked best, but I wish it was longer. What are people using for rods? Thanks.

jeffmac85

Re: Downrigger rods for trout/salmon??
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 09:38 PM »
8'6" Medium Heavy Okuma downrigger rods on Lake O. here in NY.  Not sure the size of fish you are getting in your neck of the woods but those rods will handle even a 30+ lb king.   Could go with Medium action rods if you are dealing with smaller size fish but in my opinion Okumas are the best bang for your buck

pieman1998

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2015, 04:44 AM »
order combo kit cabela' i have 8 rods ans reels run abouit $80

Maine Trout Whisperer

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2015, 06:33 AM »
Yeah they aren't too big of fish could possible get something in the 30in range but that's pretty rare on this lake. Mostly 10-22 inch fish

JDK

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2015, 07:04 AM »
I like the 8'3" Ugly Stick downrigger rod.  We also use Shakespeare Agility rods but I'm not sure they still make them.

# SAND

Maine Trout Whisperer

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2015, 09:28 AM »
Walmart had some 7foot UL rods.. Might try one of those. Just want something semi cheap and reliable. Just don't know if that's too noodley

gamefisher

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2015, 10:04 AM »
The old 8" Starfire 407's are some of the best downrigger rods ever made for Maine salmon and trout.  Hard to find now but still doable with some effort, they are either stamped 4-8# or 6-10#.  Great sensitivity but can handle anything Maine has to offer. 8)

Maine Trout Whisperer

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2015, 10:09 AM »
Should find some on eBay. Is an ultra lite rod what I would want Ya think?

Thor

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2015, 10:31 AM »
You might want to try searching the Internet for trolling rods designed to catch Kokanee Salmon.  Trolling for Kokanee seems to be popular out west, and there are some good-looking rods designed for this purpose that would probably be great trout/smaller salmon rods, too.

Cabela's used to have a Kokanee-specific trolling rod (I have one but don't see it on their website any more), Okuma does, and Bass Pro might have one.  Other companies such as Lamiglas and Vance Tackle make some decent-looking Kokanee rods as well.  They are designed with trolling and downriggers in mind, but they aren't as heavy as some of the other trolling rods I've seen.

Here are links to a few examples:

https://www.kokaneetackle.com/p-270-lamiglas-cgr762l-jared-johnson-kokanee-special-rod-cgr762l.aspx

http://www.fishusa.com/product/Okuma-SST-Kokanee-Trolling-Rods

JDK

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2015, 10:32 AM »
I agree with gamefisher to a point and have 6 of the Starfires.  Be aware that the rods made in China were junk.  Bad reel seats and handles.

# SAND

Maine Trout Whisperer

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2015, 10:53 AM »
You might want to try searching the Internet for trolling rods designed to catch Kokanee Salmon.  Trolling for Kokanee seems to be popular out west, and there are some good-looking rods designed for this purpose that would probably be great trout/smaller salmon rods, too.

Cabela's used to have a Kokanee-specific trolling rod (I have one but don't see it on their website any more), Okuma does, and Bass Pro might have one.  Other companies such as Lamiglas and Vance Tackle make some decent-looking Kokanee rods as well.  They are designed with trolling and downriggers in mind, but they aren't as heavy as some of the other trolling rods I've seen.

Here are links to a few examples:

https://www.kokaneetackle.com/p-270-lamiglas-cgr762l-jared-johnson-kokanee-special-rod-cgr762l.aspx

http://www.fishusa.com/product/Okuma-SST-Kokanee-Trolling-Rods

Yeah I have Checked some of those out. My main concern is should I go with a L or UL or stiffer? I just don't want to hook a larger fish and have the rod pretty much folding in half trying to reel it in lol. Especially 50ft down.

jeffmac85

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2015, 11:15 AM »
I myself have never fished Maine waters but to me it seems like an UL is far too light.   I would go with a L or M if I were you.   Some of the small kings here fight as much as a 20lbr lol.  But also keep in mind that you will also be moving/trolling while fighting the fish, which even if the fish is dead tired puts a lot of resistance in the water and could potentially snap a rod even in itself.  Here in NY we troll for walleyes 7.5'-8.5' M rigger rods.   Strong enough to stand up to 10-12 lb walleye but light enough to still be fun reeling in a nice 16-18" eater.   And I'm sure even a small kokanee fights more than an 18" walleye.  In my opinion I would not use anything less than a L rod and try to keep it over 7' because once you load up a rod on the rigger with a nice bend in it a 5' or 6' rod may not extend past your rigger boom depending on the rigger you use.  Trust me after about 3 or 4 hours hearing your rod bounce and ding off an aluminum rigger boom is enough to drive you crazy, and can't be good for a light rod 

fishlessman

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2015, 01:22 PM »
the starfires mentioned or somewhat nicer the diawa heartland kokanee rod, both 4 to 8 pound rating, anything bigger and the salmon are no fun

Maine Trout Whisperer

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2015, 02:01 PM »
Right, I want somethig that I can actually feel the fish with. The last rod I used I couldn't tell if I had lost the fish or not.  The guy I go with sometimes uses 5ft ultralites with his DR and 4 lb mono.

fishlessman

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2015, 02:09 PM »
Right, I want somethig that I can actually feel the fish with. The last rod I used I couldn't tell if I had lost the fish or not.  The guy I go with sometimes uses 5ft ultralites with his DR and 4 lb mono.

the starfires have a slightly dead feel but are indestructable, you will see those yellow rods on every salmon lake in maine. the heartland kokanee rods have a great feel but are not as durable when stepping on them. both are getting hard to find. if you catch a laker over ten pounds on either rod your going to be there a while, ;D thats as big as ive ever gotten

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.