FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Large Pond Bluegills  (Read 7497 times)

Neil McCauley

Re: Large Pond Bluegills
« Reply #15 on: Jun 26, 2015, 05:07 AM »
Have you thought of adding a couple large predators like pickerel to the pond? Might keep the smaller fish populations in check.

taxid

« Reply #16 on: Jul 04, 2015, 10:22 PM »
Have you thought of adding a couple large predators like pickerel to the pond? Might keep the smaller fish populations in check.

No reproduction in the pond. Only planted with female yellow perch and male bluegill. I explained it in the first post.

I understand how you missed it. Once a thread gets so long I skim too.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

greenhornet73

« Reply #17 on: Mar 02, 2016, 05:09 PM »
Not sure if this thread is still alive but for what it's worth I have had great success with my koi pond mixing up their food with dog food pellets.  Lots of protein grows them large.  I have some over 22" that I have raised from 2" pet store fish that are easily 4 or 5 lb fish.  I bet those bluegills would grow some shoulders if you did the same.

seamonkey84

« Reply #18 on: Mar 13, 2016, 07:16 PM »
I believe the food he uses is made by Purina, they make food for all types of pets and farm animals. Many trout hatcheries also use Purina trout chow lol.
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

taxid

« Reply #19 on: Mar 27, 2016, 10:55 PM »
Not sure if this thread is still alive but for what it's worth I have had great success with my koi pond mixing up their food with dog food pellets.  Lots of protein grows them large.  I have some over 22" that I have raised from 2" pet store fish that are easily 4 or 5 lb fish.  I bet those bluegills would grow some shoulders if you did the same.

Truthfully you're cheating your fish of the correct diet for fish that has been determined for fish via research if you're feeding them dog food. Dog food is for dogs, fish food is for fish. Protein is only one component of a correct diet. Fish need the correct amount and kinds of vitamins, lipids, minerals, etc., etc. And different species have different needs. Also fry and fingerlings need higher amounts of protein and lipids.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

taxid

« Reply #20 on: Mar 27, 2016, 10:58 PM »
I believe the food he uses is made by Purina, they make food for all types of pets and farm animals. Many trout hatcheries also use Purina trout chow lol.

I'm getting away from Purina and using other brands. Purina has dropped the ball on fish food. In fact there's a good chance it's not even made by Purina anymore even though the bag says so. Purina also regularly has supply problems. No longer dependable.

taxid

« Reply #21 on: Mar 27, 2016, 11:11 PM »
Was only able to make one seine pass on the biggest pond this year as the perch were just about ready to drop their eggs and I didn't want to stress them too much. I also was the only one manning the 180 foot seine and the wind was howling. Only seined half the pond too. My minimum to keep a bluegill is 10 inches and minimum length for yellow perch is 14 inches. The following were kept fish.

The 13 gills went from 10 inches to 10 1/2 on a board and 1 lb. + to 1lb. 7 1/2 oz. (Very stout for their length)

22 female yellow perch were harvested from 14 to 15 3/8's on a board to 2 lbs. 2 oz. (ones in above and below picture)

All will be sold frozen and shipped all over the U.S. to fellow taxidermists. Keep in mind these came from my own private ponds. Not legal in most states to sell fish out of public waters.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.