FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: tracker grizzley 1448 motor ?  (Read 5569 times)

williev18

tracker grizzley 1448 motor ?
« on: May 21, 2015, 07:10 AM »
I have a tracker Grizzley 1448 all weld with a 15hp merc 4 stroke. By myself it gets up on plane and does 20-22mph pretty easy, but if I take a fishing buddy, or even one of my growing boys it realy struggles to get on plane and top speed can drop as low as 15mph. Ive played with different props and added trim tabs with some gains but not much. Ive decided to repower and am looking at the Suzuki 20 and 25 hp motors. I have saved enough for the 20hp but am wondering if it will be enough gains over the 15 or should I keep saving for the 25. Does any one have this boat with a 20hp on it, that can tell me if its worth it or not.

mcully

Re: tracker grizzley 1448 motor ?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2015, 07:30 AM »
What is the boats rated maximum HP? Getting as close to that in your price range will get you the most for your money and resale and should get you on plane with the rated maximum weight load.

williev18

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2015, 08:57 AM »
its rated at a max of 25hp, I would love to go that big, but fishing season will probably be over before I raise to other $600, was hoping some one had this boat with a 20hp could share their experience.

burgerunh

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2015, 09:31 AM »
I would hold out for the 25 hp

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2015, 01:22 PM »
I don't have any experience with that specific boat but I can tell you on my 14 foot StarCraft, I would not want any less than my 25 and it's a light boat. 1 person and light gear will net about 25mph, 2 people and gear it goes to 22, add one more person and it's more like 16-17mph. Especially if you already aren't satisfied with the 15. Nothing worse than upgrading and going through all the effort and expense to see only marginal improvements. I'd suffer with the 15 until you can buy the 25.

Case in point... last year I really wanted to add a fishfinder with GPS and chartplotter capabilities. I really wanted a nice color unit, which was only a few hundred more but I decided to roll the dice with a greyscale unit. This year I sold it for a $150 loss and spent the dough to buy the color unit (so worth it). So because I wanted the instant gratification it cost me a lot more in the long run.

williev18

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2015, 09:24 PM »
Im pretty sure im gonnna wait for the 25, may have to sort through the gun safe and send a rifle or 2 on to new homes  ;)

Yachtzy

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2015, 09:43 PM »
Try experimenting with the trim pin position. I'm not sure if they make a doel fin for that size outboard, but it made a big difference on my boat. Another thing you can try is to have the passenger shift to the front when the boat is trying to plane out. Hope this stuff works for you while your rounding up the dough for the new upgrade :)

Lundin-loading

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2015, 09:47 PM »
I've got a 20hp on my StarCraft, the hull is rated for 25hp. If I did it over I'd opt for 25+. This was after upgrading from an older 14hp hoping for considerably more performance...
Beauty

Mac Attack

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2015, 09:47 PM »
Im pretty sure im gonnna wait for the 25,

good idea

you won't regret it.

If you get the 20 you will always be asking, what if?

Lund sss

• Tight Lines, Steve
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2015, 04:13 PM »
Dump the idea of a 4 stroke and put a 20 hp Evinrude ETEC way more bang for your buck and it's much lighter

williev18

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2015, 07:45 PM »
I looked at the e tech 25, but they are almost a grand more and 20pounds heavier than the Suzuki 25 4 stroke. At 136 pounds and $3500 the Suzuki is going to be very hard to beat. I have some one looking at buying the Merc on the boat this week, hopefully I will be ordering a new motor by this week end.

williev18

« Reply #11 on: Jun 05, 2015, 01:30 PM »
update...... ;D The new Suzuki 25hp came on the truck today, she is all mounted and let her break in for an hour on the hose. Hoping to get on the water tomorrow  8)

Mac Attack

« Reply #12 on: Jun 05, 2015, 01:34 PM »
update...... ;D The new Suzuki 25hp came on the truck today, she is all mounted and let her break in for an hour on the hose. Hoping to get on the water tomorrow  8)

Awesome!

Good luck and enjoy.

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #13 on: Jun 05, 2015, 01:37 PM »
your going to love that motor!   Will run all day, use an unbelievably small amount of gas while doing it, and will start easily every single time.

boondox

« Reply #14 on: Jun 05, 2015, 08:38 PM »
some stuff to think about:

you would think that boat is fine with the 15 hp merc?  we got a sea nymph rated to 75 hp were only running 25 hp on it.. and it gets up to plane, but when you load it down me, dad ,and a buddy it does not get up to plane. i guessing it the same type of problem... i seen that tracker boats rates that at 25 hp max. but is that tiller or a steering system rated 25 hp max rating that one of the things i did not like was the rating on boat some say tiller rating some say hp max rating...

also don't forget that is a flat bottom boat and it is different shaped then say a deep vee boat so loaded down it will not plane as well...  also watch the weight rating of the  boat  i think it said your max person capacity is 425 lbs  now if you get the bigger motor do you deduct for the motor weight?   like some companies suggest...so in the long run i would be losing weight capacity but gaining speed... that why we left are the same as it was when we bought it. it not always about who has the fastest boat  it just about getting out there...

i am guessing what that motor is doing for you is what it is doing.. may not get much better then what we got.... maybe cause it is a tiller motor they put a governor on  it  to govern the throttle? cause to much throttle on a tiller can be a problem too like flipping the boat and steering issues in waves etc .... that if it is a tiller steer model?      ours has a steering set up but still lags when loaded down our is a 17.5 foot sea nymph deep vee just for comparison sake.

we could have  gone for the bigger 35 -40 hp motor but opted out of doing so  cause it decreased weight capacity... our max was 850 with the new motor the person capacity changed to bout 750 with the new motor... which was under what we needed...  for gear etc... etc... some time you just got to stick with what you got ... but of course that new motor will push it faster... but  do you really need it?  i can tell you really want it... but like i am saying  it up to you not me  on what your doing.  me i would look at bigger boats if you got two boys sooner or later they may out weight that max capacity with you in it... heck i weight in at 180 lbs in high school...    me i would save for the another boat my self but that me not you that why i threw this out there just to maybe help you out.           by the way if it is tiller steer your not going to want to go that fast any how..lol's msot of all in rough seas lol's

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.