FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: New Walleye Size Limit  (Read 3303 times)

icecleate

New Walleye Size Limit
« on: May 21, 2015, 05:47 PM »
New Walleye Size Limit of 16" goes into effect north of st rd 26 late this summer. No specific date. I just received an update by the DNR today.

Boomer

Re: New Walleye Size Limit
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2015, 07:19 AM »
If they (IDNR) are going to make the rules harder, why not wait until they publish the new rules for next year?  If people are not informed or not on-line how would they get the info?  I have been on the IDNR fishing reports several times recently (don't know why, like they keep them updated) and have seen nothing on this.

icecleate

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2015, 09:36 AM »
I subscribe to the F&W Rule/Regulations Update from the In DNR. I signed up for this from the DNR Website. I receive my updates by email.

Boomer

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2015, 11:51 AM »
I still own a flip phone - it still works - and my computer and e-mail is all from work.  Many people still have very limited access to the internet. 

How will this rule work on the St. Joe River in South Bend area?

1eyechaser

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2015, 12:01 PM »
Boomer

The 16" size limit will apply to the Joe, my club had Neil Ledet from the IDNR at a meeting recently and he told us then, just not sure as to when.

neonnc3

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2015, 01:02 PM »
Praise the fish gods ,Its a start...asked for a slot on them but this will work......too bad they couldn't get the bluegill limit done ....maybe next year...

wallin

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2015, 07:55 AM »
Most Lakes and ramps will be posted for the size limit.
I like it.
Wallin

rico

• Give me some lovin'
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2015, 08:58 AM »
New Walleye Size Limit of 16" goes into effect north of st rd 26 late this summer. No specific date. I just received an update by the DNR today.

I also think there are a few lakes that are exempt from it.

stinkybaits

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2015, 10:24 AM »
If they (IDNR) are going to make the rules harder, why not wait until they publish the new rules for next year?  If people are not informed or not on-line how would they get the info?  I have been on the IDNR fishing reports several times recently (don't know why, like they keep them updated) and have seen nothing on this.

That makes too much sense Boomer. When does the State do anything that makes sense?

Boomer

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2015, 11:21 AM »
stinkybaits - we always say "if it make sense, do something else."

btw, I never said that it was a bad idea or rule but just the timing.  Would the beginning of the new year or fishing season been that long to wait?

Boomer

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2015, 01:49 PM »
Finally had some time to look up the specifics on this.  First, it still has to be approved by two entities in the state and the article says they will take affect "sometime in the late summer 2015." That is very specific !  Also, not all lakes north of SR 26 are included. Check the IDNR website and see if "your" lake is affected.

bigr

« Reply #11 on: Jun 01, 2015, 05:10 AM »
It won't surprise me if we don't see any changes this yr since there are still signatures to be had. It sure takes time to make changes. I've been told that our walleye fishery is for the most part a put and take that requires stockings by the state to maintain numbers. Very little natural reproduction. Will stocking numbers be cut back or increased with size change? Obviously it is believed that more fish will reach the new limit before being harvested.

MC_angler

« Reply #12 on: Jun 01, 2015, 03:24 PM »
That makes too much sense Boomer. When does the State do anything that makes sense?

In the interest of making sense, I inquired about this to obtain facts :)

After the NRC adopts the changes, they still have to be approved by the Attorney General’s Office and Governor’s Office, then published in the Indiana Register, which can take some time. I was told the changes for fishing will also not be implemented until the new fishing guide comes out next year.

stinkybaits

« Reply #13 on: Jun 02, 2015, 02:46 AM »
Dang that's some hoops to jump through geeze.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.