FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Gardens anyone?  (Read 515024 times)

ActiveTrapChecker

Re: Gardens anyone?
« Reply #1530 on: Aug 06, 2017, 11:15 AM »
Made my first set of refrigerator pickles today. Life delayed the garden from being planted by3 weeks.

3/4ths part white vinegar to 1 part water, sea salt and sugar for the brine.

Garlic, baby dill and dill seed for the average ordinary pickles, which included wedges and sliced pickle cukes.

The fun jars included crushed red pepper, mustard seed and banana pepper juice (trying for the first time)

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1531 on: Aug 06, 2017, 12:28 PM »
You guys that grew your own garlic will be surprised how much more you go through when its right at hand..  ;D
  I will be turning some cucumbers into pickles next week..   And be darn sure I will be using a lot of garlic... ;)
 Last night I put 1/2 cup of olive oil and a whole head (not a clove) of minced garlic in a pan and cooked till brown than put that on summer squash on the grill..... ;)
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1532 on: Aug 06, 2017, 02:51 PM »
There's not enough garlic in the universe to satisfy me.

I peeled a bunch today while I was making pickles. I'll be roasting that batch on the Weber and preserving it in vegetable oil. Another bunch will be minced and preserved in oil...both in the fridge. I'll still have a good bunch of fresh and seed for the garden. I plan on adding a few varieties to the bed this fall.

On another note....today was my last pickling day.

Set up and ready to rock.

The results.

Plus a couple half gallon jars of "Picklesaurus Slices" for refrigerator pickles.

They were way too big to fit in quart jars.

Final count......41 jars of pickles. I'm set for this winter's Sunday card games with my Son ;D

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

bart

• Gone fish'n, not wish'n
« Reply #1533 on: Aug 06, 2017, 03:17 PM »
Final count......41 jars of pickles. I'm set for this winter's Sunday card games with my Son ;D

RG

Sounds awesome!  ;)   Nice looking pickles BTW...
KEEP AMERICA GREAT!  God Bless America!
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau

filetandrelease

« Reply #1534 on: Aug 06, 2017, 03:46 PM »

Looks great RG ,

ActiveTrapChecker

« Reply #1535 on: Aug 06, 2017, 04:00 PM »
Nice work RG

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1536 on: Aug 06, 2017, 04:00 PM »
Thanks guys. Wish you were here to share a beer and some pickles.

Best part is, it was home grown in my own garden. Pickles, garlic, peppers, onions and dill. Enjoying them with my Son and a few friends is a special bonus.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

drowndin dots

• BOAT = break out another thousand
« Reply #1537 on: Aug 06, 2017, 04:14 PM »

Awesome RG. We should have a Pickle and beer get together, perhaps we can find some ice that's a good common ground for a few of us this winter? Or a nice early fall perchfest with a cook out after? I'd enjoy shaking hands with a few of you I haven't met yet, and I'm always up for a big ole Dom hug  ;D

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1538 on: Aug 06, 2017, 04:17 PM »
I'm in for a Fall cook out. Not sure how much ice I'll be seeing any more. You name it and I'll be there ;D

Rg

drowndin dots

• BOAT = break out another thousand
« Reply #1539 on: Aug 06, 2017, 06:24 PM »

I'm open to suggestions, it should be a lake that has good fishing, and a state park where we can gather after. I know Oneida checks all the boxes, but so do a lot of other lakes.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1540 on: Aug 06, 2017, 08:10 PM »
Sure looks good Bob...
Nothing better then eating something you harvested...    :thumbup_smilie: :thumbup_smilie:
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1541 on: Aug 06, 2017, 08:12 PM »
Made my first set of refrigerator pickles today. Life delayed the garden from being planted by3 weeks.
3/4ths part white vinegar to 1 part water, sea salt and sugar for the brine.
Garlic, baby dill and dill seed for the average ordinary pickles, which included wedges and sliced pickle cukes.
The fun jars included crushed red pepper, mustard seed and banana pepper juice (trying for the first time)

Sounds real good.... :clapping:

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1542 on: Aug 07, 2017, 05:19 PM »
Just tasted the refrigerator batch. Very nice. Not too hot, good nose with a hint of basil  and a slight after burn. ;D

Not your average Mount Olive  ;D

Rg

ActiveTrapChecker

« Reply #1543 on: Aug 07, 2017, 06:35 PM »
RG, just one day in the fridge? I've always gone 3, and am curious to see how the spicy ones turned out. Wednesday can't come fast enough...

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #1544 on: Aug 07, 2017, 06:53 PM »

Shrimp tacos with fresh salsa out of the garden and lettuce from the Aero-garden.
Marinated the shrimp in tequila, lime juice, garlic, cilantro, and cuminn then grilled. The dirty rice was cooked with the leftover marinade and all served with a nice cold Margarita. Mmmmm. Life is good today!   ;D
     One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.