FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Trophy Pumpkinseed?? Sprkplug  (Read 5369 times)

FishKing83

• ROLL TIDE - FISH ON!
Trophy Pumpkinseed?? Sprkplug
« on: May 28, 2015, 06:10 PM »
Went across the border today to chase some hawgzilla Pure Michigan gills.  Got exactly what I went after.  Went to 2 diff. lakes and found some really good quality fish at each lake.  Smallest fish of the day was about 8.5".  Sprkplug do you think this pumpkinseed is a trophy?  It was pulling drag like crazy, got it to the boat several times and he pulled drag run after run lol.  Chasing slab panfish on ultralight gear is awesome.  Didn't take any pics from 2nd lake.  Found em stacked up in deep water (20+') and they were biting so fast and furious that I was missing a lot of fish by running 2 rods.  Fished from 9.2-24 fow today.  Couldn't believe the huge school of prespawn fish that were stacked up in the deep water.  Love bringing them in from 20+ fow. 
ROLL TIDE - FISH ON!

sprkplug

Re: Trophy Pumpkinseed?? Sprkplug
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 06:28 PM »
Trophies are in the eye of the beholder, but I would consider that a trophy P-seed no matter what BOW it came from. One of the biggest I've seen in a long time.

Outstanding fish, worthy of the wall!

BIGDADYG

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 08:01 PM »
fishking,  hog is got to be the word. haven't seen one of that class in years great job hope to see more  GRIFF.
FISHING'S HARD CAN WE GO HOME NOW ?

FishKing83

• ROLL TIDE - FISH ON!
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 08:06 PM »
Thanks guys.  It fought like a tank with a bad attitude.  I've never mounted a fish before but have multiple 10+" gills in my freezer wrapped and ziploced.  Think I'm going to pull the trigger and get all of them mounted around a piece of wood or a stringer mount.
ROLL TIDE - FISH ON!

FishKing83

• ROLL TIDE - FISH ON!
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2015, 08:23 PM »
A lot of the 10+" fish I want to put on the mount are gills but I do have several big pumpkinseeds as well.  I think a mix of slab gills/pumpkinseeds on a mount would look really cool.  Here are some of the other pumpkinseeds. 
ROLL TIDE - FISH ON!

stinkybaits

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2015, 09:10 PM »
Nice seed! :thumbup_smilie:

izzy65

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2015, 09:33 PM »
Nice looking fish. Deff wall worthy. Great job.
Satchmo

wally13

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2015, 11:22 PM »
sweet

Boomer

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2015, 07:30 AM »
Trophy?  I agree it is in the eye of the beholder.  I believe that if it leaves a lasting memory, then it is a trophy.  Still remember a 15 - 16 inch yellow bass below Monroe Reservoir that I lost. Doesn't sound like much to most but the memory of that fish still lingers.

Not to start a "war" but a couple of fish in those pics look like redears but do not have the classic red spot on ear flap.  I realize that they will cross with bluegills (right?), do you call it an 'ear or a 'gill? 

neonnc3

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2015, 09:26 AM »
 Good job Fishking.... nice gills.... why is it that someone has to add there comments to detract your post , pictures and great day on the water to make there point.... I don't post often but that's just wrong to do that to you! just my 2 cents worth !!!

Be pro

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2015, 11:55 AM »
Diff a trophy fish King nice pumpkin seeds all the gills look super thick as well

Get_the_Net

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2015, 10:19 PM »
Trophy?  I agree it is in the eye of the beholder.  I believe that if it leaves a lasting memory, then it is a trophy.  Still remember a 15 - 16 inch yellow bass below Monroe Reservoir that I lost. Doesn't sound like much to most but the memory of that fish still lingers.

Not to start a "war" but a couple of fish in those pics look like redears but do not have the classic red spot on ear flap.  I realize that they will cross with bluegills (right?), do you call it an 'ear or a 'gill? 

I don't see any redear in any of those pics.  They are bluegill (some are faded from being in the cooler or livewell before pics) or pumpkinseeds in these pics.  The seeds will have red on the ear.  Sometimes it is bright red and other times faded or barely visible.  Redear also don't have the colors throughout the sides like a seed does. 

pot-belly-pike

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2015, 10:46 PM »
You Done Well    Thanks for Shareing
 :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:   Oh No KIve gotta get fishing    !!!!
Smile it makes others wonder what your up to

~:+)

oh no fish-on i gotta get fishin

stinkybaits

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2015, 08:32 AM »
I don't see any redear in any of those pics.  They are bluegill (some are faded from being in the cooler or livewell before pics) or pumpkinseeds in these pics.  The seeds will have red on the ear.  Sometimes it is bright red and other times faded or barely visible.  Redear also don't have the colors throughout the sides like a seed does. 

X2 It's spot on.

sprkplug

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2015, 08:55 AM »
No redear seen here, either. Great seeds though.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.