FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Wabash river report  (Read 2216 times)

bigr

Wabash river report
« on: May 29, 2015, 08:49 AM »
Conditions are good, river is at a good level and clarity is about right. Bluejeans and tennis shoes is all that's needed with a comfortable water temp. The bite for sauger has been good with walleyes mixed in. Size of fish have been running bigger than in most yrs on both species but the bigger fish are begginning to drop back down river into deeper pools i suspect, still good numbers. Largest eye this yr was a 28" and sauger was a 20". 1/8 oz colored jig heads with 2" Berkley power twister in your favorite color, chart or white is mine with a orange or pink jig head. This week fish seem to be more interested in multi color crank bait. Time of day doesn't seem to matter much. When you hit a fish work the spot for a while, sauger seem to run in packs. Work the current edges just below a ripple. Lets hope heavy rain holds off for the weekend fishing. Good luck all.   

Be pro

Re: Wabash river report
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2015, 11:57 AM »
Thanks for report I finally get a day off tomorrow so I get to get the boat out for the 1st time this year I norm fish 300 days a year iam dieing to stick sum fish

bigr

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2015, 01:19 PM »
This is a great time for multi spiecies on about any type of water. You'll run into all stages of fish. Pre-post-spawning, shallow/deep,top water/bottom. Good luck to you.

Boomer

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2015, 01:31 PM »
Sounds like fun. IF we wanted to do this, where would you suggest putting the kayak in.  Would probably have to put in/take out at same location.

(Hope to meet up again soon  -  before ice season. Say "Hi" to Backus.)

stinkybaits

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2015, 04:17 PM »
How's the jumping Asians doing there?

drine_11

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2015, 04:52 PM »
Fished all around Lagro area today for a few hours and never caught the first fish.  Tried fishing with mepps and twisters in every color I had and still was unsuccessful..not sure what I was doing wrong???

iceon

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2015, 11:55 PM »
Boomer, my buddy and I fish between Logansport and Monticello. There's a small picnic area with a nice launch. At lake Cicott turn south towards river. Theres a deer processing sign on the high way. Haven't been down there yet this year.

bigr

« Reply #7 on: Jun 01, 2015, 04:37 AM »
Boomer i would suggest fishing down stream from the Peru to Logan stretch, fish are slowly migrating back down river. Google earth and find the river roads with access. I like the Peru to lewisburg stretch real well in mid summer.Lots of deep holes with current breaks. Asian carp aren't bad upstream from Wabash but you'll see more and more as you fish down stream and as the summer goes on. Don't laugh at me but if you catch one try eating it. They are very good eating, just very bony.Worse than a pike or sucker. Clean white meat that taste like cod or polluck with good texture. I won't throw one back but only snag one once in awhile.   

wallin

« Reply #8 on: Jun 01, 2015, 07:57 AM »
They have actually built a fish processing plant in IL. for the Asian Carp.
Their very wanted in overseas countrys.
Wallin

bigr

« Reply #9 on: Jun 01, 2015, 08:15 AM »
There is alot of effort to create a market in the US. I think eventual there will good reason to target them. In Indiana a big hurdle is getting some laws changed so the licensed fishermen can catch the fish in a way and area that lets them get the numbers needed to be profitable.

Get_the_Net

« Reply #10 on: Jun 01, 2015, 12:50 PM »
There is alot of effort to create a market in the US. I think eventual there will good reason to target them. In Indiana a big hurdle is getting some laws changed so the licensed fishermen can catch the fish in a way and area that lets them get the numbers needed to be profitable.

Going to be hard to catch them unless you use a net of some sort as they are filter feeders, and rarely if ever are taken on hook and line unless snagged.  They should be netted and fed to the prisoners in our state and federal prisons.  It is a win/win.  We put the hammer down on an invasive species and provide food for those behind bars.  If they had to eat some form of Asian carp 3 times a day they may think twice about committing crimes when they get out.  Now our govt. feeds them better than many law abiding families on food stamps.

bigr

« Reply #11 on: Jun 01, 2015, 01:30 PM »
Good ideal but they should have to clean them and eat with the bones in. Even then they'll be eating to good. I'm thinking road kill would be better. Sorry, i know i shouldn't say things like that but i do and did.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.