FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Learn me on big jon boats  (Read 3047 times)

NJChris

Learn me on big jon boats
« on: May 29, 2015, 01:35 PM »
I'm seriously considering picking up another boat, looking at a jon boat in the 18-20ft range, 80-90in beam. I'd like something with a tiller that's pretty much open all around for maximum fishing room. I'm looking for something a bit bigger than the 16ft mirrocraft I currently fish out of. A lot of the places I fish are restricted to 9.9hp, so I figure the jon boat would be a lot lighter than a similar size skiff or deep vee boat, and might not be quite as slow. I also wouldn't mind something that draws less water for fishing the Delaware. However I'd also like to put it in Barnegat bay for early/late season stripers and blues, my current boat in the bay is a bit too big for fishing alone, and not that friendly for fly fishing which I would like to do more of. Currently, I'm looking at the G3 gator tough jon boats cause I have a local G3 dealer but I'm open to other suggestions. Realistically, how much should I expect to pay (boat and trailer, no motor), and how much motor do I need for it to be fast enough? Also, I've seen them in the bay and they seem to do alright, but if anyone has firsthand experience with how they handle big water, it would be appreciated. I already have a 4 stroke Suzuki 9.9 for a kicker, never used gas tank and hoses and junk, fish finder, trolling motor, batteries, a seat I can mount, and rod holders so I don't need to worry about any of that kind of stuff that I otherwise would need.

youp50

Re: Learn me on big jon boats
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2015, 05:46 AM »
Here is some learning for you...

I own an older Crestliner Jon boat.  16 ft long, 84 inch wide.  When my kids were younger, I had a 9.5 or 9.9 Evinrude on it.  It was considered a baby sitting boat.  Big enough and stable enough 3 or 4 of them could stand on the gunnel (proper way to say gunwale, more learning...) and not ship any water while swimming.  It was slow enough not to worry about them hurting themselves.  A couple of nephews and one son were happiest going faster than safe in anything with a motor.  I imagine it traveled around 8-10 mph for them

I use it now on rivers and smaller inland lakes.  I have a 18 Tohatsu on it.  I suppose I get 20 mph with another angler aboard.  I would not like to power it with a 10 horse, just too slow for me

Lundin-loading

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2015, 09:11 AM »
18-20ft g3 John hulls are rated for 60-115hp outboards, they have a dry hull weight of 700-1200lbs. The hull and trailer alone will probably cost you $5000+. The 9.9 would make a great kicker for those hulls however.
Beauty

burgerunh

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2015, 10:05 AM »
Too big of a boat for too small of a motor unless you want to max out at 5 or 6 mph.

NJChris

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2015, 07:31 PM »
Too big of a boat for too small of a motor unless you want to max out at 5 or 6 mph.

If my original post wasn't clear, I do plan to get a bigger motor I was just asking how big I should go. If I remember right I think most of the tiller boats were rated for 90hp, and I'm not sure if I need to go that big or if a 50 or 60 would be fine. I just want to buy the motor separate because said G3 dealer only sells Yamaha's, and I want a Merc

fontona19

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2015, 09:52 PM »
If my original post wasn't clear, I do plan to get a bigger motor I was just asking how big I should go. If I remember right I think most of the tiller boats were rated for 90hp, and I'm not sure if I need to go that big or if a 50 or 60 would be fine. I just want to buy the motor separate because said G3 dealer only sells Yamaha's, and I want a Merc

And why is that? I don't want to start a Ford vs. Chevy argument, but Yamaha's are bulletproof, and G3 themselves are a Yamaha company.

NJChris

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2015, 10:40 PM »
And why is that? I don't want to start a Ford vs. Chevy argument, but Yamaha's are bulletproof, and G3 themselves are a Yamaha company.
Because 1) the outboards I currently use are mercs and I've never had a problem with them and 2), all of the guys I personally know who are much better at fishing than I am have switched from Yamaha's to Mercury. A handful of them spent more time with their yamaha's broke than actually running. So really its just my personal opinion, if I'm going to spend big money on a motor I'm going to get the one I want

youp50

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2015, 06:24 AM »
Ask your boat dealer what is minimum HP recommendation.  You need to decide how fast you want to travel.  I am old enough to remember the old timers that were happy doing 4 or 5 mph, they were relaxing , smoking a pipe, and NOT rowing.  I have always thought a motor would last longer and be more reliable if it was not at WOT all the time.

Mercury makes and markets reliable outboard motors.  Do a little research and find out which ones they make and which ones Tohatsu make.  I would not pay Merc an extra 800 bucks for a Tohatsu.   Since I purchased the Tohatsu a Merc dealer claimed they were not made to the same specs.  I don't know.  I am happy with the Tohatsu branded outboard.

Keep asking and researching, its a major purchase.  Get it right the first time.

burgerunh

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2015, 06:49 PM »
I have always heard that as a rule of thumb you want a minimum of 75 percent of the maximum recommended horsepower for good performance. 

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #9 on: Jun 01, 2015, 07:26 AM »
I know my little StarCraft has a 25hp and is rated for 30 max and I wouldn't want any less than the 25hp.

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #10 on: Jun 01, 2015, 08:14 AM »
Because 1) the outboards I currently use are mercs and I've never had a problem with them and 2), all of the guys I personally know who are much better at fishing than I am have switched from Yamaha's to Mercury. A handful of them spent more time with their yamaha's broke than actually running.

Its an opinion, but not an accurate one.   There's a reason why almost every single professional and commercial saltwater fishing boat with outboards uses yammies.   Been that way for decades too.

Pliskin1

« Reply #11 on: Jun 02, 2015, 03:28 PM »
I don't care what motors you get, but when you do go to buy the big motor, keep in mind the old saying:  "I'd rather have the power and not need it than need it an not have it".

By no means am I wishing bad, but lets say one day "you" are out there with the wife and kids in the inlet.  Along comes some schmuck going too fast, out of control, doesn't see you, etc. etc.  Nice to be able to have the boat's recommended max HP to move you out of the way.

Or if the weather kicks up.

Or if there were an emergency...

You get the idea.

Good luck on your purchase!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.