FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: I started a new hobby (bowfishing)  (Read 1988 times)

Ice_Mike

I started a new hobby (bowfishing)
« on: May 29, 2015, 10:40 PM »
It all started this winter with my son and I visiting Cabelas for a bowfishing seminar. At the seminar we met a few bowfisherman who have since became friends.
My first real bowfishing experience was entering a BAI/Cabelas tournament May 2ND out of the cabelas in Hammond with a friend we met at the seminar. We bowfished on Lake Michigan and finished 3rd in the tournament.
Since then I have been on Lake Schafer, Lake Freeman, Lake Bruce, Kankakee river, and the Iroquois river.

I'm looking for some new waters within 2hrs of Rensselaer that we can bowfish on.
Our next trip will probably be for gar on Nyona lake, but since we mostly go at night and the lake is pretty much developed. South Mud might be a better option.
I've never been on south mud. Is there public access? Is there gar, carp, or bowfin in the lake?

Thanks for any help you guys can give me,
Mike

RoeBoat

Re: I started a new hobby (bowfishing)
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2015, 07:38 PM »
Great fun, haven't been in a few years.  I don't live over that way so I can't help you with location info.  Most of the rivers and resiviors over here are good.

Hunted deer over your way once, crazy amount of deer over there.  We hunted 1 farm for 2 days and I shot 3 deer with my sidelock ML near the end of the season.  Deer were so thick the farmer had recently hit one on his 4 wheeler.

trophytaker1

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2015, 07:38 AM »
Winona lake seems to have a lot of Carp

RoeBoat

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2015, 09:31 PM »
That's the first time I've ever heard of carp being cleaned out of a lake.

Boomer

« Reply #4 on: Jun 01, 2015, 07:56 AM »
Been awhile for me since I bow fished. Looks like my son wants to start this summer.  IceMike, if you want to try something different with your bow, frogs come in season soon.  They are a smaller target but fun to shoot . . . and eat.  We would just pull out a little extra line and use it as a stringer.

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #5 on: Jun 01, 2015, 08:09 AM »
That's the first time I've ever heard of carp being cleaned out of a lake.

it happens, especially smaller lakes.   We've had a few in NY that got cleaned right out.  Tough for those of us that fish for them...but they are technically an invasive i guess.

turpie

« Reply #6 on: Jun 01, 2015, 11:24 AM »
That's funny that you say to shoot sylvan lake is Rome City.  Was that lake not cleaned out of carp 20 some years ago?  I've been shooting fish for 35 years now and still shoot the same lakes year after year with the same success. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.