MFF US Midwest > Michigan
been a while
(1/2) > >>
boondox:
ya it been a while mostly cause i have been fishing... here is a two man limit of walleyes we pulled last weekend with me and  my buddy... ya i can count i gave a fish to a friend up there already that did not do as good as us, he has a big family so i figure i would help him out make a meal out of the two he got. found out he did not do as good after throwing back five to 6 other smaller fish 14 to 15 inches so they would get bigger... by the way  i got the other two fish one jack king salmon the other a steel head all from shore on the st clair river...  see pictures these were taken in my buddies back yard... ya the walleye is heating up big time out there so if i am not around i there lol's  please enjoy the picture...

rp dog:
Boondox have you ever targeted the perch down there in the summer. Just curious we've done well on the ice just never tried it when it opens up.
Rp
boondox:

--- Quote from: rp dog on May 30, 2015, 08:34 PM ---Boondox have you ever targeted the perch down there in the summer. Just curious we've done well on the ice just never tried it when it opens up.
Rp

--- End quote ---

yep sure have i usually wait till around july to target perch when there on there grass flats for sure  like of that of Detroit river and st clair river, lake st clair ,erie etc ....  you got to find shallow weeds  or grass flats and target them with minnows. The main line i like a tru turn hook small amount of lead and a bobber like big enough to hold it all up... any how you got to move around a lot to get full limits.  kind like fishing in the winter hole hopping.   most of the perch i kept are 8 -10 inches and threw back a lot of dinky ones. 4-5 inchers ..  the area  i target are hardly over 20 foot deep any thing past it is no light penetration and no weeds grow no perch are present that rules out most of the river except a few shallow spots. i would try  harsen island area of lake st clair get a lot of perch like in the western part of  bouvier bay you can find a lot of perch... we target the canals  of st johns marsh early in the year right after ice out and they migrate deeper like in the bays were it 8-10 foot deep. we do this all they way till  it freezes we target the roaming schools... any how best of luck it can be done form shore but to get a limit take a lot of moving around.....
rp dog:
Thanks boondox might be worth the trip down there then. My brother in law is stuck down in the city this summer running a job. Probably be a good way to use up a few evenings for him. The company he works for puts him up all week so he might better have something to do to relax .
 Thanks for the information
Rp
boondox:

--- Quote from: rp dog on May 31, 2015, 07:59 AM ---Thanks boondox might be worth the trip down there then. My brother in law is stuck down in the city this summer running a job. Probably be a good way to use up a few evenings for him. The company he works for puts him up all week so he might better have something to do to relax .
 Thanks for the information
Rp

--- End quote ---

if he not planing to cast from shore get a perch charter.. from what i have been hearing is they been getting jumbos out of a few boats that anchor up south of selfridge air national guard base.  they have been getting ton of big perch like 10-12 inchers  he may need a Canadian fishing licence i don't know who getting them i just heard it...so it word of mouth if he still here in the fall try the canals they load of full of nice keeper perch trick is finding fishing piers with them grass flats  close to them... and knowing were they are and hitting them one after the other for like a hour or two and heading to the next one and just make a day of it putting in hours....

but ya there are quite a few boats headed out fishing catching big jumbos right now....any how we do a lot o walleye and very little perch fishing early in the year when the water temps get above 50 we target eyes then when sick of those we target perch  the upper st clair river water are still cold enough for steel head so keep it in mind.... like on the bottom of the river it 38*F but the top half is 50*F + not as of this week end it probably dipped back down  but next week end it will be headed up in temp  i think lk. st clair temps are about 54 -56*F  so fishing is just getting started there... any how if you need more help pm me but for sure get cracking on checking stuff out...           
Navigation
Message Index
Next page

Go to full version