FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Telescopic Fishing Rod from China  (Read 4338 times)

stripernut

Telescopic Fishing Rod from China
« on: May 31, 2015, 12:32 PM »
So I have a trip to FL this week and I am all set for tackle, but it got me thinking about all those Telescopic Fishing Rods from China that one sees on ebay (most for short money)... Has anyone tried one? I would not expect much and the last Telescopic Rod I had was a crappie rod and it worked fine for what it was... We all know that most stuff from China is junk, so I did not ask this question to start China bashing, I just wonder if anyone has used one and what they thought? Here is a link to a exsample;
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Portable-Carbon-Hard-Fishing-Superhard-Telescopic-Fishing-Rod-Spinning-Sea-Rod-/311331311232?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item487ccace80
I can't buy a good reel seat for that price and that is the whole rod shipped... for under 20 bucks...

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
Re: Telescopic Fishing Rod from China
« Reply #1 on: Jun 01, 2015, 07:52 AM »
I had really good luck- even still have it today- with a 4 piece Ugly Stick by Shakespeare. Just don't like the idea of a telescopic, but don't really know why? The 4 piece broke down small and I could just use a quality small reel. Still does what it's supposed to 15 years later!

stripernut

« Reply #2 on: Jun 01, 2015, 09:15 AM »
I have a few multy piece rods; fly and spinning and am happy with them. It is those telescopic rods from China that I thought some one may have used...

mudchuck

« Reply #3 on: Jun 02, 2015, 11:53 AM »
So I have a trip to FL this week and I am all set for tackle, but it got me thinking about all those Telescopic Fishing Rods from China that one sees on ebay (most for short money)... Has anyone tried one? I would not expect much and the last Telescopic Rod I had was a crappie rod and it worked fine for what it was... We all know that most stuff from China is junk, so I did not ask this question to start China bashing, I just wonder if anyone has used one and what they thought? Here is a link to a exsample;
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Portable-Carbon-Hard-Fishing-Superhard-Telescopic-Fishing-Rod-Spinning-Sea-Rod-/311331311232?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item487ccace80
I can't buy a good reel seat for that price and that is the whole rod shipped... for under 20 bucks...

I'd be leery of using one since I just recently witnessed firsthand my friend trying to pull out of a snag on the river bottom and his telescopic shattered into 4 pieces.
He wasn't yanking hard and all the other snags all of us had no trouble pulling the terminal tackle out of without any trouble, but that pole was flat out junk.
We all have 6# mono for line and were light tackle fishing for stocked browns and perch, so no reason for that kind of explosive failure of his telescoping rod.

stripernut

« Reply #4 on: Jun 02, 2015, 12:27 PM »
Interesting, was it one of those ebay rods from China or was it something else? Agreed that is not a good sign...
Thanks.

tomturkey

« Reply #5 on: Jun 02, 2015, 02:11 PM »
Question about the broken rod.

Was he jerking using the flex of the rod or was he pulling straight off the reel?

My brother had a guy that broke a couple of his custom rods in AK. He came in again with a broken rod. No replacement this time as a friend of my brothers watched him jerking on the rod trying to get loose from a snag. The friend had called and my brother that the jerk would be back in looking for a free rod. NO replacement this time. Plus told not to bother to come back into the shop.

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #6 on: Jun 02, 2015, 02:25 PM »
I've got a couple 5' ones with EVA grips that I use as pack rods. They're probably 20 years old or more, so they may be nothing like the ones on Ebay today. I have like a size 20 spinning reel on each and keep them strung with 4 or 6 lb. test. I've caught an awful lot of fish on them. They're great for small brook fishing and busting through brush, but I've flat line trolled with them and lake fished too.   ;D
     One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

Big Ice Hole

• So many fish, so little time
« Reply #7 on: Jun 02, 2015, 02:29 PM »
I had one that came apart at one of the joints when I went to cast it. ( $5.00 yard sale find).

slipperybob

« Reply #8 on: Jun 22, 2015, 04:32 PM »
I had a Chinese guy that came from China with his Chinese telescopic rod.  He was wondering why I didn't use any telescopic rods.  After he used one of my rods, he understood why right away.   ;D
Slip bobber fishing and ice lounger.

Slipperybob's Wish to Fish and MN Dish...Journal

stripernut

« Reply #9 on: Jun 22, 2015, 04:52 PM »
Did you take a cast with his rod?

perchgypsy

« Reply #10 on: Jun 23, 2015, 11:58 AM »
I had a Chinese guy that came from China with his Chinese telescopic rod.  He was wondering why I didn't use any telescopic rods.  After he used one of my rods, he understood why right away.   ;D
what's the cost of a Chinese guy with a Chinese telescopic rod from china...lol

Mac Attack

« Reply #11 on: Jun 23, 2015, 01:52 PM »
2 Mexicans

Lol

slipperybob

« Reply #12 on: Jun 24, 2015, 01:36 AM »
Did you take a cast with his rod?
Yes I tried, that's all I'm going to say.  I will say, I prefer my ugly stiks 10 X more.   ;D

what's the cost of a Chinese guy with a Chinese telescopic rod from china...lol

No clue...LOL.
Slip bobber fishing and ice lounger.

Slipperybob's Wish to Fish and MN Dish...Journal

Ice Dawg

« Reply #13 on: Jun 28, 2015, 08:47 AM »
My telescoping rod became a five piece rod the first time I set the hook on a large Walleye.  :o
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

stripernut

« Reply #14 on: Jun 28, 2015, 09:35 AM »
My telescoping rod became a five piece rod the first time I set the hook on a large Walleye.

Was it one of those cheap ebay rods?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.