FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Triton trailer - grease cap  (Read 2580 times)

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
Triton trailer - grease cap
« on: Jun 03, 2015, 01:32 PM »
Hey all,

I own a 2005 Triton TR-165 and need to add grease to the wheel bearings. After some searching on the web, most are rubber and can be pulled out with a flat head screw driver. However, my grease cap is plastic and it seems to have a spring around it. Does anyone know how to get this cap out so I can get new grease in there?

One thing I read was to take the rim off and then it should pop off. Anyone know if this is true? Just looking for a little guidance  before I attempt this.
Wicked Wec

SLAYERFISH

Re: Triton trailer - grease cap
« Reply #1 on: Jun 03, 2015, 02:42 PM »
Google and Youtube are your friends-

Mac Attack

« Reply #2 on: Jun 03, 2015, 03:13 PM »
Wheel bearing caps on a trailer WITHOUT a bearing buddy of some sort, (or a lube-type axle) are not typically plastic.
They are stamped sheet metal.
These can be pried out with a screwdriver or flat edge of some sort.

What you are describing sounds like a bearing buddy device though.
The cheaper ones are plastic, but they all use a spring to hold a plunger tight against the bearing.
When the bearings heat up going down the road and you then immerse them into water things contract and this sucks water and dirt into the bearings.
This spring is supposed to counter this.

If you have this type of device, there should be a zerk-type grease fitting in the center of it.
You can add the grease through that with a grease gun.
But there is a procedure.
You just don't pump a ton of grease in there or you will blow out the seals on the back side of the wheel.
Typically, you pump in grease until the plunger starts pushing out a little bit against that spring.

Also, if this BOAT trailer is 10 years old and has not had the wheel bearings checked or greased I strongly suggest you disassemble, clean and inspect, and then either replace with new bearing packed with grease, or repack the old bearings if they are still good and reassemble.  Be sure to always replace the seal with a new seal.  They are inexpensive.

Any further questions please go and take a picture of your setup and post it here so we can properly help you.

Good luck.

Mac

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #3 on: Jun 03, 2015, 03:17 PM »
SLAYERFISH - I tried both and neither showed my set up.

Attack - I will take a look tonight and see what I can do with it. Thank you for your help. Either way, I will let you all know how it goes.
Wicked Wec

Mac Attack

« Reply #4 on: Jun 03, 2015, 03:19 PM »
I modified and added to my earlier post since you first read it.
You might want to reread it and see what I added.

Good luck.

Mac

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #5 on: Jun 04, 2015, 08:47 AM »
Update - Once I took the wheels off it all made sense! There is a screw on the side of the bearing system. Once I unscrewed it oil leaked out. There is no grease ! I let the old stuff run out and filled it back up with new oil. Project complete.
Wicked Wec

Mac Attack

« Reply #6 on: Jun 04, 2015, 08:51 AM »
Update - Once I took the wheels off it all made sense! There is a screw on the side of the bearing system. Once I unscrewed it oil leaked out. There is no grease ! I let the old stuff run out and filled it back up with new oil. Project complete.

You have Turbo Hubs.
These are awesome!!!
Just like semi trucks use.

Here's a link to a video -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rp17WpM-Ixk

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #7 on: Jun 04, 2015, 09:00 AM »
Sweet!

Its almost exactly the same except I don't have that rubber seal. Thanks for your help!
Wicked Wec

Mac Attack

« Reply #8 on: Jun 04, 2015, 11:10 AM »
Sweet!

Its almost exactly the same except I don't have that rubber seal. Thanks for your help!

No problem.
Check the bearings though like I said.

Jack it up and spin the wheel.
Look for play and slop.
Be sure to feel and listen for grinding or unusual noises.
If there is any question if the bearings are any good - replace them!!!
And the seals.

The inner and outer wheel bearings, races and seals, are inexpensive when compared to sitting on the side of the road out in East Wahoo with a spun bearing that has welded itself to the axle spindle.  Don't ask how I know this.

Every year, in the Fall, I clean and repack the wheel bearings on my boat trailer before I put it away for the winter.
It's part of the winterization of the boat and trailer.
Wheel bearings on boat trailers get immersed in water every time you launch and retrieve your boat.
These wheel bearings go through hell with water, dirt and sand getting sucked into them.

Have fun.

Mac

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.