FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Propane outboards  (Read 1966 times)

Yachtzy

Propane outboards
« on: Jun 23, 2015, 02:21 PM »
Does anybody own one? I just saw online West Marine carries a Lehr brand from 1.5 to 15 hp. They don't seem too overpriced, but I'm wondering what are the advantages/disadvantages about them. You still need a good size tank, similar to the size of a gas tank. I would think they're still the same weight, but just quieter.

When is someone going to invent a 15 hp electric outboard, with solar cells to fuel it? They'll be a wealthy person!

fontona19

Re: Propane outboards
« Reply #1 on: Jun 23, 2015, 04:24 PM »
Does anybody own one? I just saw online West Marine carries a Lehr brand from 1.5 to 15 hp. They don't seem too overpriced, but I'm wondering what are the advantages/disadvantages about them. You still need a good size tank, similar to the size of a gas tank. I would think they're still the same weight, but just quieter.

When is someone going to invent a 15 hp electric outboard, with solar cells to fuel it? They'll be a wealthy person!

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/torqeedo--cruise-4-0t-outboard-engine-long-shaft--13146659

Not 15hp, but it says equivalent to 8hp. A bit pricey too.  :D

greensider

« Reply #2 on: Jun 27, 2015, 07:58 PM »
check out the elco electric outboards

Yachtzy

« Reply #3 on: Jun 28, 2015, 09:54 PM »

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/torqeedo--cruise-4-0t-outboard-engine-long-shaft--13146659

Not 15hp, but it says equivalent to 8hp. A bit pricey too.  :D
Just checked out that one fontona, thing looks cool, but wow is it pricey.
check out the elco electric outboards
I checked out these also greensider, look cool too, but even more higher priced. They need more manufacturers competing in the market to drive the price down.

The propane Lehr I saw at golehr.Com are:
2.5 hp= $ 1050
5hp=$1700
9.9hp=$2400
15hp=$3280
25hp=$3,950
These aren't cheap either, but not that far away from the price of gas outboards.

I figured someone on this site must own one seeing there are so many trout and salmon fisherman/women. I'm not to familiar with those species, but I thought I read somewhere that if you have gasoline on your hands you are not going to catch a trout. So I figured this may be the perfect fit for them. I usually fish for bass. I watched a Doug Hannon video where he takes off his gas cap, dips his 10" worm in the gas, casts and catches a nice bass. So it really wouldn't benefit a bass guy that much I guess, and still wouldn't work for electric only reservoirs.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.