FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Smallest boat on lake michigan  (Read 2114 times)

ftwwalleye

Smallest boat on lake michigan
« on: Jun 26, 2015, 07:37 PM »
Bldfrt and I have talked about taking his  v bottom on on lake michigan. Wouldn't go out real far. What's the smallest you would feel safe in the big lake?

Mac Attack

Re: Smallest boat on lake michigan
« Reply #1 on: Jun 26, 2015, 08:25 PM »
really depends on the weather. id do a 12ft if calm.  better watch for big boat waves though.  be sure to check regs too.  a bit different than inland laws i think.

Yup!!!

X10

Boomer

« Reply #2 on: Jun 26, 2015, 09:35 PM »
I have seen some really small zodiacs out on Lake Michigan.  On the right day I would take my kayak out but would rather take out my 15 footer instead.  As you said, watch the weather.

RoeBoat

« Reply #3 on: Jun 26, 2015, 09:48 PM »
I don't know about Michigan but every time I'm on Erie I shake my head at the guys in small boats (16-20).  That water gets rough fast and all you can do in a small boat is hang on and pray.

We were out this spring in a 27' hard top and a storm blew in, you could see it coming but it's just not "real" till it's too late.  One minute your in 1-2's and the next your in 4-6's and its raining so hard you can't see anything but a wall of water.

A 12 footer on one of the big lakes is not for me.  Sorry Chad, don't even think of calling me on that one!  I'm not interested in taking my kayak over the Hosey either!!!

beau

« Reply #4 on: Jun 27, 2015, 01:17 PM »
Life is full of risk, but some places and things are a lot riskier than others.  Lake Michigan is a very risky place for small boats, especially shallow draft boats, boats with only one means of propulsion and boats with no radio.  A typical large cruiser going by at slow speed will easily swamp a small boat.  Storms can build up extremely quickly.  It is less risky during summer because the water is warmer.  It is less risky if you are  in the company of a lot of other boaters.  It is less risky during stable weather conditions.  The kind of weather we have been experiencing this year is not stable.  One can look at weather radar and see nothing threatening, then suddenly here comes a storm.  I personally feel safer out there with a north wind rather than a south wind.  If you have an 18 ft boat with good freeboard, have all the safety equipment and knowhow and stay within a reasonable distance from the harbor you cut your risk down enough to be out there.  Watch the weather and don't gamble.  Wear your PFD. 

iceon

« Reply #5 on: Jun 27, 2015, 03:41 PM »
I had my 16ft. nitro out there. But it was flat calm. By the end of the day though there was waves crashing over the front and I knew it was time to go. I went out a mile. Could have went further but that was my first time on the lake I was chicken.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #6 on: Jun 27, 2015, 04:07 PM »
Been out there in a 12 footer with an 8hp on it, off of Holland.. The swells got so bad every time we went down we couldn't see shore...   ;D
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

northrn-duck-assassin

« Reply #7 on: Jun 27, 2015, 06:29 PM »
Few years ago, i ran a 16' flat bottom with 25 horse tiller from cal park to navy pier. S.w. winds at 3 mph that day though.
its more than catching food, its also catching a piece of mind and integrity within

JimmyD

« Reply #8 on: Jun 28, 2015, 10:06 PM »
  Some years ago I went out of Benton Harbor in a 14 footer , trolled for salmon and trout a few times and perch fished a couple times . Really had to be able to pick your day for it though . I well remember one day starting out through the breakwater , going over a wave and feeling the wind catch the boat and lift it a bit ,,,,,, imediatley turned around and decided the fishing in the river would be better  :D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.