FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Saratoga Bait and Tackle  (Read 3412 times)

Big Tupper

Saratoga Bait and Tackle
« on: Jun 30, 2015, 10:13 AM »
I heard that that bait shop is moving to Schuylerville in the Fall. I hope those poor owners have a different business model plan because if they are struggling now they will get zero foot traffic in Schuylerville. I just hope they can come up with good reason for people to drive down there to buy stuff. I have respect for small business owners but Schuylerville seems less than a prime location. Look how many times that place on route 29 has opened and failed. I am open to giving some ideas that might help.

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
Re: Saratoga Bait and Tackle
« Reply #1 on: Jun 30, 2015, 01:38 PM »
Tim didn't mention anything like that to me, but it has been a few weeks since I've been in the shop.   Where did you hear this?

PeterC

« Reply #2 on: Jun 30, 2015, 02:15 PM »
That would really be too bad. They are good people and the location is really good for me. Unless the rent is driving them out I do see how you could not have a better spot. That said, I do not see enough activity at the shop to justify the great inventory he has. Need to spread the word and help the business. Never really paid attention but are his prices out of line?

Big Tupper

« Reply #3 on: Jun 30, 2015, 02:17 PM »
Its on his website about moving to Schuylerville and I bought a St. Croix Rod that was the same price as listed on websites etc.

Big Tupper

« Reply #4 on: Jun 30, 2015, 02:28 PM »
They are nice people my only complaints is when the lady works the store they count every single minnow and I have found there night crawlers are barely alive and way overpriced. I think that if cash flow is an issue which in a store like that I imagine its inherent. He should open his mind to selling local made products, consignment sales etc. For Example I have tons of used rods and reels I would like to sell old lures, I make ice fishing spring bobbers, walleye harnesses, hand painted jigs, etc. I would be willing to put in a store. He can get a small cut I can get my small cut. He wouldn't have to outlay any cash I wouldn't have to deal with EBAY, Craigslist and post office. Just my 2 cents. I mean he has to man the shop anyway. My buddy makes custom ice fishing tow bars for sleds. I am sure some of you guys have things you can make or invent.

SSmokinn SS

« Reply #5 on: Jun 30, 2015, 05:08 PM »
thats unfortunate. They wont get the action they are looking for moving away from saratoga. Where they are, is their best shot.

I can say that I walk in that store alot with plans to get something, and I walk out with nothing simple because their prices are several dollars on average higher, per lure then anywhere else. I get most of my stuff off the internet, but every once in a while I stop in to see what they have.

I have done several of their tournaments as well. Nice guys.

fontona19

« Reply #6 on: Jun 30, 2015, 06:09 PM »
It is hard enough to compete with the big box stores as it is without being in Schuylerville.

PeterC

« Reply #7 on: Jul 02, 2015, 10:42 AM »
It really is a niche business. I am sure the rent is sky high and they have to make it up with a higher profit margin on the smaller items. That hurts. The volume will never be the same as a box store so location and loyalty are their
advantages. They are losing one of those.

Rugburn

• Camp Dog
« Reply #8 on: Jul 02, 2015, 01:23 PM »
I always try to patronize the small independents, I don't care if they are 50 cents more. When they're all gone is when most realize how much they miss them. Maybe they have a good plan, or perhaps staying isn't an option. Maybe he sold his real estate for a killing, or maybe they couldn't renew their lease. Hard to speculate not knowing. Has anyone on here spoke to them? When they finally have a going out of business sale the line will be out the door, everyone tee he-ing about the great deal they just got. Then we can all continue to b***h about the big chain stores, for ever after.

SSmokinn SS

« Reply #9 on: Jul 02, 2015, 08:29 PM »
I always try to patronize the small independents, I don't care if they are 50 cents more. When they're all gone is when most realize how much they miss them. Maybe they have a good plan, or perhaps staying isn't an option. Maybe he sold his real estate for a killing, or maybe they couldn't renew their lease. Hard to speculate not knowing. Has anyone on here spoke to them? When they finally have a going out of business sale the line will be out the door, everyone tee he-ing about the great deal they just got. Then we can all continue to b***h about the big chain stores, for ever after.

www.tacklewarehouse.com

Thats the only store you will ever need to know.

fontona19

« Reply #10 on: Jul 02, 2015, 09:35 PM »
www.tacklewarehouse.com

Thats the only store you will ever need to know.

If your a bass fisherman that is.

I do like them, but it is fairly specific tackle.

prchslyr

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #11 on: Jul 13, 2015, 06:49 AM »
The internet is crushing small business far worse than the big box ever has.
Keep your $$$ local. You don't always see it happen, but it all comes back around eventually.
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #12 on: Jul 13, 2015, 09:31 AM »
The internet is crushing small business far worse than the big box ever has.
Keep your $$$ local. You don't always see it happen, but it all comes back around eventually.

exactly.   If i can get it locally from my guys, I always do.   I don't mind spending an extra $1.00 on a pack of jig trailers if it goes back to my local tackle shop.

step2jimi

« Reply #13 on: Jul 13, 2015, 03:12 PM »
I try to support the locals as much as possible but its getting harder and harder. House renovations, kid number one on the way, starting my own business etc.  I agree that if its only a dollar or two more then why not. I have been doing some work in Saratoga recently and found my self spending quite a bit a Saratoga bait and tackle. Tims got a great kietech selection and some nice tungsten jigs. The problem I find is im picky about my jigs and his selection is limited and some of the stuff I was looking for was more then a couple dollars over tackle warehouse. He did give my buddy a screamin deal on a lews baitcaster after a little hageling, cant haggle with the computer.

SSmokinn SS

« Reply #14 on: Jul 13, 2015, 05:53 PM »
I try to support the locals as much as possible but its getting harder and harder. House renovations, kid number one on the way, starting my own business etc.  I agree that if its only a dollar or two more then why not. I have been doing some work in Saratoga recently and found my self spending quite a bit a Saratoga bait and tackle. Tims got a great kietech selection and some nice tungsten jigs. The problem I find is im picky about my jigs and his selection is limited and some of the stuff I was looking for was more then a couple dollars over tackle warehouse. He did give my buddy a screamin deal on a lews baitcaster after a little hageling, cant haggle with the computer.

Actually you can...tackle warehouse right now has the halo twilight rods for $99.... That's 50% off.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.