FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: trolling 6 lines tangle free?  (Read 3744 times)

fishwiz

trolling 6 lines tangle free?
« on: Jul 04, 2015, 04:03 PM »
So I'm thinking Tuesday of planning a fishing trip to Oneida lake for my first time for walleye and perch. I only have a 16 foot boat but I plan on possible running 4 to 6 planer boards slow trolling  if jigging didn't work. My question is do I let the outside lines out the furthest behind the boat or the inside lines the furthest to avoid tangles if I happen to catch one? And I'm thinking Shackleton shoals around their for the first trip. Does that sound like a good starting point? And would Fisher bay or Briggs bay be a better spot to launch?

jeffmac85

Re: trolling 6 lines tangle free?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 04, 2015, 04:19 PM »
You're furthest boards from the boat will have the longest leads behind the board.  They will also usually be you're shallowest running lures/leadcore etc.   This helps keep everything from tangling when bringing in fish.  To bring in the outside board over the others just keep your rod tip pointed high and toward the opposite back corner of the boat (if the board is on the port side point the rod toward the back starboard corner of the boat with the rod tip as high as you can or vise versa for starboard boards).  Reel slow and steady and be very careful not to let the line go slack when releasing the board from the line.  Tangles are inevitable when running that many rods, just be ready to cut, handline and retie if need be but it can be done.  My dad, and probably most other people you ask, think I'm crazy but we just ran 7 rods on lake Erie for walleyes this morning, we regularly run 6. 4 planer boards and 2 downriggers but today I added a slide diver between the 2 riggers.  Had a couple tangles but most usually come from bringing the outside board over the top of the inside board,  this can be remedied by clearing the inside rod first

reeleyz

« Reply #2 on: Jul 04, 2015, 04:21 PM »
You want the outside lines out the furtherest.

I have run 4 boards and 2 lead core poles before on my 16' boat. To be honest sometimes less lines leads to more fish for me because I am not wasting time clearing the weeds off the boards. If I am alone sometimes I do well with just 1 or 2 lead core lines straight back. Or if there is 2 of us I only run 2 boards and 2 lead cores normally.

If you are trolling try north of the bouys from 125 and East.

Mac Attack

« Reply #3 on: Jul 04, 2015, 04:28 PM »
You're furthest boards from the boat will have the longest leads behind the board.  They will also usually be you're shallowest running lures/leadcore etc.   This helps keep everything from tangling when bringing in fish.  To bring in the outside board over the others just keep your rod tip pointed high and toward the opposite back corner of the boat (if the board is on the port side point the rod toward the back starboard corner of the boat with the rod tip as high as you can or vise versa for starboard boards).  Reel slow and steady and be very careful not to let the line go slack when releasing the board from the line.  Tangles are inevitable when running that many rods, just be ready to cut, handline and retie if need be but it can be done.  My dad, and probably most other people you ask, think I'm crazy but we just ran 7 rods on lake Erie for walleyes this morning, we regularly run 6. 4 planer boards and 2 downriggers but today I added a slide diver between the 2 riggers.  Had a couple tangles but most usually come from bringing the outside board over the top of the inside board,  this can be remedied by clearing the inside rod first

X2

fishwiz

« Reply #4 on: Jul 04, 2015, 07:35 PM »
thanks guys I appreciate the info we will be starting off jigging and if that doesn't pan out we will try some trolling I imagine the most we will use is four lines but if the fishing sucks I may try to throw 2 more out. Considering its my first time being their maybe ill do some cruising around see what kind of structure I find.

fishwiz

« Reply #5 on: Jul 04, 2015, 07:36 PM »
and do you think leadcore would be a better route then snap weights? im going to get some supplies tommarow and with that im getting a new line counter ill have to spool up

fishwiz

« Reply #6 on: Jul 04, 2015, 08:45 PM »
You don't like lead but it works hmmm I'll see what I can find tommarow I have never used either and have never fished for walleye in more then 15 feet so all that is new to me I'm glad to hear the fishing is great if anything I hope my father lands some so he will go out with me more.

Mac Attack

« Reply #7 on: Jul 05, 2015, 08:41 AM »
and do you think leadcore would be a better route then snap weights? im going to get some supplies tommarow and with that im getting a new line counter ill have to spool up

Answers to this depends on who you talk to.

My buddy Paul hates leadcore and uses only snap weights.
Because he got tired of losing gear from inferior knots he tied.

::)

I like leadcore.

My son Jeff likes leadcore and snap weights.

i hate dipseys, but agree they work.
I simply choose not to use them.
Have them, but won't run them.

I like downriggers and use them all the time.

Answers to your questions will vary depending upon whom you ask.
Find out what works best for you and run it.
Good luck.

Mac

Racer268

« Reply #8 on: Jul 05, 2015, 10:19 AM »
Jason at East Shore Bait & Tackle in Sylvan beach has several new and used lead core set ups.  Really good pricing as well

zaphod4

« Reply #9 on: Jul 07, 2015, 10:42 AM »
As for getting bait down You should check out a weight called tadpole diver.I love these.Use them all the time trolling.Easy to set and the get the bait down.Just takes some dialing in depending on what bait ur running.A rod with a line counter makes it pretty easy to dial in tho.

fishwiz

« Reply #10 on: Jul 07, 2015, 03:21 PM »
I have seen them we used 2 leadcore.and 2 dipsy divers yesterday and 90 percent.of fish came off leadcore with a planerboard. If I have a 20 foot leader between lure and leadcore say the lure is a deep diver 15 foot do I take that into consideration when I'm letting line out.

fishwiz

« Reply #11 on: Jul 07, 2015, 04:55 PM »
It worked for me I went a little deeper than my chart called for along with my leadcore and it seemed to work out I wish I lived closer to Oneida maybe I'll get up their and try ice fishing it this winter

filetandrelease

« Reply #12 on: Jul 07, 2015, 06:27 PM »

I think ice fishing is much easier than soft water JMO

reeleyz

« Reply #13 on: Jul 07, 2015, 08:29 PM »
Did somebody say ICE FISHING? Can't wait.

Mac Attack

« Reply #14 on: Jul 08, 2015, 01:41 PM »
Did somebody say ICE FISHING? Can't wait.

WHAT!

Settle down there mister or you're gonna go sit in the car.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.