FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Age of kids allowed to take there limit  (Read 4723 times)

4wd1256

Age of kids allowed to take there limit
« on: Jul 04, 2015, 05:43 PM »
Just wondering what everyone elses opinion on this , I have 3 boys 11 and 7 yr old twins , they all have there lifetime sportsman license , on the nys dec website it states 16 yr old need a license , I was checked on the water two years ago and I asked the dec officer's and they told me that as long as the kids are doing the work like reeling in the fish its legal and they can take there limit , but some people give me some crap about it , just wondering what other people think about this ? My kids love fishing and I am not going to tell them your fish don't count and have to go back

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Age of kids allowed to take there limit
« Reply #1 on: Jul 04, 2015, 05:49 PM »
Who cares what anyone else thinks. It's legal, let them take their limit.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

KingPerch

« Reply #2 on: Jul 04, 2015, 05:57 PM »
I agree with RG! Tell the critics to take a kid fishing! And, let them see first hand when they crush a kid who caught their own fish and was told to put the fish back in the water! I have two children.....they wouldn't want a response from me! Keep doing what your doing! Keep those kids active with the outdoors. Your doing great! 8)
“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span

rp dog

« Reply #3 on: Jul 04, 2015, 06:18 PM »
Those kids deserve to have just as much fun fishing as the guys that - - - - - about it. Best part about it is there catching fish and if that bothers someone I'm guessing there pretty good at it. I wouldn't ever give this another thought congratulations on raising these young fellas in the outdoors. When my kids were younger they sent a lot of people away mumbling to them selves and even me at times.

ecolt14527

« Reply #4 on: Jul 04, 2015, 06:43 PM »
RG stated that it is legal and he and the ECO are spot on !! The ECO gave you good solid advice, as long as the children are participating in the fishing, they may possess the same limit as an adult. I had two cases where the child never participated in the activity. Both were anglers trolling for lake trout. Another ECO on Canandaigua Lake saw a person take over his limit and when questioned went below in the cabin and brought up a 3 to 6 month child as proof that he could take two limits. Just tell anyone that whines, that is the law and I'm going to continue to do as I have because of it !!
   Retired ECO 1957 to 1991--- Yes I know RG, I'm a old geezer !!

4wd1256

« Reply #5 on: Jul 04, 2015, 09:34 PM »
Thanks guy's , my kids are really into it and they understand how many each of them can keep and the fish has to be a certain size or it goes back , trying to teach them the right way and the main thing is have fun and keep the tip up !

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #6 on: Jul 05, 2015, 04:30 AM »
  Retired ECO 1957 to 1991--- Yes I know RG, I'm a old geezer !!

Yeah, but you're a good old geezer ;D

4w, your kids will remember these trips for life. GOOD DAD!

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

filetandrelease

« Reply #7 on: Jul 05, 2015, 06:18 AM »
Rg
X2 as long as the child has some participation in the act , I don't see a problem   ,

MickeyFinn

• 25" ADK Leaper
« Reply #8 on: Jul 05, 2015, 07:57 AM »
Just wondering what everyone elses opinion on this , I have 3 boys 11 and 7 yr old twins , they all have there lifetime sportsman license , on the nys dec website it states 16 yr old need a license , I was checked on the water two years ago and I asked the dec officer's and they told me that as long as the kids are doing the work like reeling in the fish its legal and they can take there limit , but some people give me some crap about it , just wondering what other people think about this ? My kids love fishing and I am not going to tell them your fish don't count and have to go back

Tell em to go pound salt..

I am curious as to how you got your boys their lifetime sportsman licenses though
We were biting this morning, we were biting this morning, we were biting this morning......

Mac Attack

« Reply #9 on: Jul 05, 2015, 08:37 AM »

Rg

X8

broadhorizons

« Reply #10 on: Jul 05, 2015, 09:06 AM »

I am curious as to how you got your boys their lifetime sportsman licenses though

You can buy them anywhere that sells licenses. You need a parents ID, proof of residence, and kids birth certificate
Captain Andy
Broad Horizons Guide and Charter Service

Deadeyez

• Oneida Lake Diehard
« Reply #11 on: Jul 05, 2015, 06:05 PM »
Keep them fishing and catching their limits! Sounds like some great kids who enjoy the outdoors...people that give you crap when your following the rules are D-bags! Fish on
Nice job findin em

4wd1256

« Reply #12 on: Jul 05, 2015, 06:12 PM »
It was nice that the eyes were turned on this weekend on onieda , best fishing ive ever experienced up ! Kids loved it and can't  wait to go back

MickeyFinn

• 25" ADK Leaper
« Reply #13 on: Jul 05, 2015, 08:32 PM »
You can buy them anywhere that sells licenses. You need a parents ID, proof of residence, and kids birth certificate
Yah, understand all that, but i guess i just assumed that you had to go through the hunter education class to get any type of hunting license , and when i was able to take them i thought you had to be 14.. I guess my question was  has that requirement changed, if so i know a couple youngsters that may want to take the class...
We were biting this morning, we were biting this morning, we were biting this morning......

4wd1256

« Reply #14 on: Jul 05, 2015, 08:43 PM »
They still have to take the  course when they are old enough then you send a copy of the course completion to the state and when they can legally hunt the license will be sent in the mail

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.