FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Longest time you ever kept all the light on your trail working?  (Read 4078 times)

Knot there yet

In. 20 years that I've owned boats I can't remember a single season that I didn't have a light out. I unplug trailer before launch& loading. New boat trailer has "LED" and still half don't work. Waste of time fixing them. Ever gone hole season on one set if lights.

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
Not until I got my last boat with high trailer lights! It's got the original bulbs and has worked for two years solid- MINDBLOWN offically!

I thought these were the dumbest things ever when I saw them, they are super wide and seem vulnerable to damage but they are amazing! They do not get wet ever and I think that is a big difference. Also, my new truck has a factory tow package instead of the STUPID plug and play trailer light wiring harness that I would go through one every year or MORE.

So between my snowmobile trailer, boat trailer and my truck I'm amazed how much easier my life has gotten! No more trailer light issues!!

SLAYERFISH

Got my new rig in 2010.  At least 30,000 miles of towing and not a problem yet!

Knot there yet

Wow those stick out. Like them though. I'm gonna add guide bunks on to my trailer. May lift the lights salt trips reack havoc on them. Blue tooth wireless lights clamp ons do they exist?

lowaccord66

Ironically I have two trailer lights in my carvs cupholder I need to replace  today at lunch.  My middle bar is LED.  Im going to switch the corners to the same.

taxid

I've had lot of trouble with boat trailer and utility trailer lights. The companies that make them go as cheap as possible. Going to have to replace the entire boat trailer harness soon. The plastic coating on the wiring is crumbling away.

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

htc

bought an 08 crestliner last spring all lights have worked non stop 1.5 years but had to replace harness wire wore through inside of frame pain in the ass to find.

-htc

jeffro9023

Try being a duck hunter and towing your boat 6-8 times during the late season which runs right after xmas til jan. 10th ish...the boat motor trailer is caked with road salt  :-[
Where can I catch a crappie? Thanks in advance

Mac Attack

Try being a duck hunter and towing your boat 6-8 times during the late season which runs right after xmas til jan. 10th ish...the boat motor trailer is caked with road salt  :-[

no worse than snowmobile trailers
except yours gets a bath once a trip

LED

Knot there yet

New trailer has LEDs still not all working. Boat completely hides Toyata 4 runner. Old boat (60" beam)you could see truck lights if trailer wasn't working (or not plugged in) you know there not working when you start hearing the beeping. I don't let it bother me anymore. Fix what I can when I can. I see the new trucks have pull out mirrors with turn signals built in. Beam is 90". think I may install LEDs in the transom run plug parallel with winch strap. Keep everything above water line. The lights are made cheap these day and don't like doing jobs twice has kept me from pulling trigger. Kinda amazed that they don't offer as option mounted trailer light on boat. Some day maybe.

taxid

Re: Longest time you ever kept all the light on your trail working?
« Reply #10 on: Jul 14, 2015, 09:38 AM »
A friend from Florida tells me he used two heavy duty outdoor rated extension cords to rewire his boat trailer. One color for each light. Said with shrink tubing it was the Cat's meow. Much better insulation and thicker plastic than the cheap crap the trailers come with. Also cheaper than a new harness.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Fish Farmer

« Reply #11 on: Jul 14, 2015, 11:36 AM »
I bought my buddies boat around 1999, it has a 1985 Calkins trailer with whatever submersible round light they made back then, it was like an upside down cup design. I never remember him unplugging them while launching and I never did when I first had it. One basically corroded to where you couldn't take the bulb out and I think the plastic was really brittle. I probably replaced both of them around 2005. Since then I put on the "submersible" trailer lights available at Walmart which seem to give me problems every year and I seal them with silicone since they just have a gasket around the cover.

lowaccord66

« Reply #12 on: Jul 20, 2015, 09:41 AM »
A friend from Florida tells me used two heavy duty outdoor rated extension cords to rewire his boat trailer. One color for each light. Said with shrink tubing it was the Cat's meow. Much better insulation and thicker plastic than the cheap crap the trailers come with. Also cheaper than a new harness.

Not a bad idea at all!

Knot there yet

« Reply #13 on: Jul 22, 2015, 11:37 PM »
Four new LEDs in trailer today &truck lost turn signal. Always something with trailer lights. Even got call from owner of old boat asking about trailer lights. I'm cursed

lowaccord66

« Reply #14 on: Jul 24, 2015, 10:55 AM »
Four new LEDs in trailer today &truck lost turn signal. Always something with trailer lights. Even got call from owner of old boat asking about trailer lights. I'm cursed

That's terrible!  Are you using an adaptor that goes from the factory output to the 4 wire plug? 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.