FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: The year of the big Lake Erie walleyes!  (Read 3518 times)

taxid

The year of the big Lake Erie walleyes!
« on: Jul 07, 2015, 10:14 AM »
Not trying to brag as there is nothing to brag about, but this had been the year of the walleyes from Lake Erie. If you didn't get out this winter or last, or even in the spring you missed out. As a taxidermist I am still getting in 8 to 12 pound walleyes that were caught in Lake Erie through the spring of 2015 that were in the freezer. I've had several picked up, have about 6 mounted and ready for finish work, and mounting up another 6 in the next week that are skinned out and ready to mount.

Anybody know how long this age class will last? From my understanding these fish are the biggest age class in the lake and were hatched in 2005?

Anybody know?

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

trophytaker1

Re: The year of the big Lake Erie walleyes!
« Reply #1 on: Jul 07, 2015, 10:42 AM »
I hope a couple more winters.Them fish hanging there looked my sled when i came in off the ice on Erie last winter. It was absolutely awesome out there.

JSOKO

« Reply #2 on: Jul 07, 2015, 11:26 AM »
Awesome, put up some finished pictures when completed.

tightliner812

« Reply #3 on: Jul 07, 2015, 12:50 PM »
Here is one that taxid (op) did for me from last year from Lake Erie . He did a great job on it and sill looks great . Thanks for doing a great job Taxid ! Mine was 10#15oz 30 3/4"
Before pic fresh out of the ice and the  finished mount

perchgypsy

« Reply #4 on: Jul 09, 2015, 10:29 PM »
Nice mount taxid....I fish oneida few and far between 8-10# walleye here...nice work

taxid

« Reply #5 on: Jul 10, 2015, 07:39 AM »
Nice mount taxid....I fish oneida few and far between 8-10# walleye here...nice work

Thanks.

Had a charter captain pick up three yesterday. He said the year classe this fish make up was hatched in 2003?
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

perchgypsy

« Reply #6 on: Jul 11, 2015, 06:04 PM »
As far as science ....looking into age to weight they are saying 12 yr old walleye average  just over three pounds and are just over 20 inches....so I'd think them fish you are mounting are older than that....looked this up on a couple sites.....4 yrs is about 14" ...I would think this can vary in different body of water with forage and such ...still great fish being caught ...and no site supports males getting much bigger than 6lbs....my question to you is are all them female?....

taxid

« Reply #7 on: Jul 12, 2015, 10:25 AM »
As far as science ....looking into age to weight they are saying 12 yr old walleye average  just over three pounds and are just over 20 inches....so I'd think them fish you are mounting are older than that....looked this up on a couple sites.....4 yrs is about 14" ...I would think this can vary in different body of water with forage and such ...still great fish being caught ...and no site supports males getting much bigger than 6lbs....my question to you is are all them female?....

All females.

I would bet growth is much faster in Lake Erie. Warmer water and vast schools of shad and perch in the western end and perch and smelt in the eastern end.

Deercula

« Reply #8 on: Feb 21, 2016, 09:58 AM »
This is old info from 2001 (Ohio ) but gives an idea of yearly growth in Lake Erie.......

"According to the ODNR, Div of
Wildlife report cited earlier, in 2001 walleyes caught

averaged the following lengths lakewide:
1+year old walleyescaught=10 1/2"
2+year old walleyes caught=14 1/4"
3+year oldwalleyes caught=17 1/4"
4+year old walleyes caught=18 7/8"
5+year old walleyes caught=20 1/4"
6+year old walleyescaught=21 1/4"
7+year old walleyes caught=22 3/4"
8+year oldwalleyes caught=24 1/4"
9+year old walleyes caught=26 1/4"
10+year old walleyes caught=27 1/2"

Last summer out of Buffalo.......

Deercula

« Reply #9 on: Feb 21, 2016, 11:10 AM »
All females.

I would bet growth is much faster in Lake Erie. Warmer water and vast schools of shad and perch in the western end and perch and smelt in the eastern end.

Don't forget the Gobies! Found these in one walleys belly!

yankmyline

« Reply #10 on: Feb 21, 2016, 06:08 PM »
Looks like that was a hungry eye.

Mac Attack

« Reply #11 on: Feb 22, 2016, 06:25 AM »
Those looked great this morning while I was eating my Cheerios.

:D

Deercula

« Reply #12 on: Feb 22, 2016, 06:44 AM »
Those looked great this morning while I was eating my Cheerios.

:D

Don't knock 'em 'till you try 'em............They might go well with Cheerios..........Or on pizza like anchovies.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.