FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Lets talk top water  (Read 3595 times)

tightliner812

Lets talk top water
« on: Jul 17, 2015, 06:44 PM »
What is your fravrite top water frog or mouse and why ??

Mine is the Snag proof moss mouse in gray I also like the white one . I think the reason I like them the most is because they are what I learned to fish this style of fishing on and know that they work good .I also think that not having the legs lets the fish get ahold of it better . I just pick you a KVD Sexy frog which I have only fish with for about 1/2hour and landed a short and one nice bass on it. I think I will do just fine when I spent more time throwing it . I did trim. The legs about 1" . I also picked up a Booyaw Pad Crusher but have not fish with it yet . I did trim the legs on this one right out of the package on this one too . I like that the body is softer on it too . What do you guys do to your ?

kesdadddy7597

Re: Lets talk top water
« Reply #1 on: Jul 17, 2015, 10:28 PM »
I have never done much frogging.  I have heard good things about Spro frogs though.

Hermdog

• lets go fishing, YEA BABY YEAAA
« Reply #2 on: Jul 18, 2015, 05:27 AM »
Floyds Buzz Bait hands down!! Second would be the pad crasher. I found that fishing frogs on braided line really improves the hook set, no stretch in the line! Plus if the fish gets wadded up in lily pads, you can wrap braided around a rope cleat, fire up the motor and drag um out! :flex:

bigr

« Reply #3 on: Jul 18, 2015, 07:13 AM »
Hermdog, i thought i was the only one that used floyds buzzers. Been on top of my top water list since early 70's.

Teacherpreacher

« Reply #4 on: Jul 18, 2015, 07:25 AM »
Old School here,
My favorite top water baits: Hula Popper, Jitter Bug, Tiny Torpedo, Baby  Zara, and hair frogs that I tie for the fly rod. These aren't much good in heavy vegetation but have caught a ton of bass on them.
Many years ago I put on a diving mask and got in shallow water and got under a number of surface baits. What you see is a silohette, very little color. And at night, no color!! All those pretty colors on surface baits are for the fishermen. When I put eyes on my hair frogs it's for show and the fisherman. ::)
Teach
Do all that you love, with those that you love, as often as you can.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #5 on: Jul 18, 2015, 08:00 AM »
In thick cover I like the Scum Frog, in open water I like a Skitter Pop in fire tiger color...
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

bigr

« Reply #6 on: Jul 18, 2015, 08:38 AM »
Old School? Thats all i have in my box also. Didn't know there was anything else.

tightliner812

« Reply #7 on: Jul 18, 2015, 09:22 AM »
Old School here,
My favorite top water baits: Hula Popper, Jitter Bug, Tiny Torpedo, Baby  Zara, and hair frogs that I tie for the fly rod. These aren't much good in heavy vegetation but have caught a ton of bass on them.
Many years ago I put on a diving mask and got in shallow water and got under a number of surface baits. What you see is a silohette, very little color. And at night, no color!! All those pretty colors on surface baits are for the fishermen. When I put eyes on my hair frogs it's for show and the fisherman. ::)
Teach

Teach I  agree that most of the colors don't matter much but some do to contrast with the sky better on  certain light conditions which help the fish see the bait better . But for the most part I think it is the shape and sound that the bait puts out . A lot of the time I fish the mouse very fast across the pads looking for a  reaction strike . So a lot of times I think the fish never even see what color my bait really is . The main reason I just picked up the frogs is that I was fishing with a buddy one night and he was getting a lot more hits than I was as the light level started to go down I think it had to do with the  silhouette  of the bait being bigger . Live target just  released  this one at Icast this week I'm not sure when they will be on the market but I want to try one for sure .
http://youtu.be/RX-ENg0dZTk

ftwwalleye

« Reply #8 on: Jul 18, 2015, 02:22 PM »
Whatever brand you use I like to add the trailer hook that hooks to the back. It gets a better hook up.

My favorite top water from is a fly popper frog pattern. Took out my fly rod last night and tore it up. Something exciting about hand stripping a fly on top water and a bass jumping out of the water to get it

Yachtzy

« Reply #9 on: Jul 18, 2015, 07:14 PM »
All topwater lures are great, but if I had to pick:

Open water: Zara Spook

Weeds just below and thick, and casting lanes: Booyah black buzzbait with clacker. The lures hook is set back further than most buzzes, making hookup % better.

Heavy pads and weeds: Lunker city salad spoon. It's a rubber lure that can pass for a frog, tadpole, or can be worked on top like a buzz, or let it sink.

I really like the rubber frog/toad lures, but it seems like it is a 1 out of 5 strikes gets hooked and landed, the plastic seems too thick. Sometimes they get knocked up  in the air too. Fun stuff to see though.

Hermdog

« Reply #10 on: Jul 19, 2015, 04:13 AM »
Hermdog, i thought i was the only one that used floyds buzzers. Been on top of my top water list since early 70's.
Yea I got a few left, I don't use them much anymore for fear of a dogfish attack or just loosing them! Last time I bought some I got a whole card, I caught ALOT of big bass on that bait!!

chicagill34

« Reply #11 on: Jul 24, 2015, 12:19 PM »
Love the mice,if you work it like your playing with a cat,they will hit it..lol

rivereddy

« Reply #12 on: Jul 24, 2015, 03:05 PM »
Ain't nothin' like topwater....  Old School

Open water....Something about that pup, pup, pup of a Jitterbug on a hot July night   The wife is partial to a crazy crawler. I've got a couple of
                                Floyd's bucktail buzzers laying around as well. Both have had their tails replaced a couple of times.  Gotta love Zara spooks
                                in all sizes and I once took a 12  pound wiper on a 1 1/2 inch tiny torpedo...
For the slop.... I haven't found anything that I like here.  I'm just not very good at this.I have tried just about every type of frog/mouse soft 
                               surface bait and am lucky if I boat 1 out of 5 hits.  The strikes are awesome, but hookups are another thing.  My buddy has
                               one of them high falutin frog rods and he still releases most of his fish way too soon as well. In pads i do just as well,
                               which isn't too good, snaking a Johnson silver minnow over the thick stuff.  any advice?
Modern times....about spending 15-20 bucks for a  LC S....e - don't get me started.....

fish on,

rivereddy

Hermdog

« Reply #13 on: Jul 25, 2015, 04:12 PM »
Ain't nothin' like topwater....  Old School

Open water....Something about that pup, pup, pup of a Jitterbug on a hot July night   The wife is partial to a crazy crawler. I've got a couple of
                                Floyd's bucktail buzzers laying around as well. Both have had their tails replaced a couple of times.  Gotta love Zara spooks
                                in all sizes and I once took a 12  pound wiper on a 1 1/2 inch tiny torpedo...
For the slop.... I haven't found anything that I like here.  I'm just not very good at this.I have tried just about every type of frog/mouse soft 
                               surface bait and am lucky if I boat 1 out of 5 hits.  The strikes are awesome, but hookups are another thing.  My buddy has
                               one of them high falutin frog rods and he still releases most of his fish way too soon as well. In pads i do just as well,
                               which isn't too good, snaking a Johnson silver minnow over the thick stuff.  any advice?
Modern times....about spending 15-20 bucks for a  LC S....e - don't get me started.....

fish on,

rivereddy

Are you using braided line? Makes a hellava differance on the hookset, it doesn't stretch like mono!!

O

« Reply #14 on: Jul 25, 2015, 09:20 PM »
My favorite topwater is Spit'n Image, I've even caught walleye on it.  I have fun with the frog baits too.  I've also had good luck with Pop-R's, I love letting it sit and sit and sit.....

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.