FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Looking for input on Kicker  (Read 7802 times)

Mac Attack

Re: Looking for input on Kicker
« Reply #15 on: Jul 21, 2015, 06:35 AM »
do not buy a small 4 stroke they do not run well on the ethanol gal stay with a 2 stroke

Not sure how you determined this but there's 100's of millions of small 4-stroke outboards (and other things like generators and lawn mowers, etc.) running ethanol gas in the world without any problems.

I put a 2nd larger water separator/filter on my kicker.
Runs fine.

edit -

I've been using kickers for about 25 years.  Lots of the,  2-stroke and 4-stroke.
I will never run another 2-stroke as a kicker again.  Ever!
Even an E-tec.
Too loud.
Too stinky.
Too much vibration.
Resale these days stinks when compared to a 4-stroke.
And they are also becoming harder and harder to find.
Except used.

A week or so back Jeff and I thought my Honda kicker was starting to sound "funny" after trolling for 4-5 hrs at a very low RPM.
So we decided to use it to head in for a mile or so.
The effort here was to run it at a higher RPM and burn out anything that had built up in the cylinder or on the plugs.
I looked for that all so common, puff of smoke during the first few seconds.
But there was none.
And the motor didn't stumble when we throttled it up as is sometimes the case when a motor is loading up.
I didn't say anything to Jeff at that time or since, but I wrote it all off.
I figured we were wrong and the motor was just fine.
Way back on one of my previous boats, a 1996 24' Trophy walkaround, I had an 8hp Honda 4-stroke.
And it loaded up once.
A change of plugs rectified things.
This was way before ethanol.
I wrote it off as a bad batch of gas.
Back then we trolled a LOT.
6-7am into the evening.
So that kicker was trolling for very long periods of time.
But that Honda performed great.
The fuel savings more than paid for that kicker, not to mention the fact we weren't putting those 1000's of hrs on the main motor.
It was nice and quiet, no fumes, the alternator kept the electronics running and my batteries up and charged, etc.
Drift socks work, and on larger rigs they are oftentimes necessary.
But for trolling, on a smaller boat, I won't use them if I don't need to.
I have thought about getting one or two for drifting while jigging, etc.  But just haven't done it.
They work and are another great tool.
But I simply have enough crap in my boat as it is.

These days, as I get older, I prefer simpler fishing.
I won't go out if it's capping.
Rain and cold temps also keep me home.
Jeff says I'm a girl thingy.
I've done it.............and he knows it more than anyone on the earth.
Except maybe my wife Donna.

To me, the kicker up front, coupled with my 24 volt Terrova i-pilot up front, works awesome.
I pitched the kicker proper down to the lowest available so I can go slow enough for eyes and still have enough bow thrust to maintain control on the i-pilot's auto pilot steering while trolling.  It works fabulous.  But I still wish I could get a little more RPM out of the kicker without having to back off on the bow mount and lose boat control.  Drift socks would work.  But I won't go that route.  This Fall, I'll pull the prop off the kicker and take down to Sandy at Rocky Bottom Prop Shop on Niagara street and have him turn down the diameter of it so it has less thrust.  I spoke to him a couple months back and he says it's only $50 to do this.  About the cost of a decent drift sock or two.  But I won't have to use the socks and/or store them.  So this works for me.

Lots of good info in this thread.
Everyone has different opinions.
Everyone has different likes and dislikes.

Ask the questions.
Read the answers.
Think things over.
Analyze things according to your boat, budget, style of fishing, and personal energy level.
Then make your decision and either live with it, modify it further, add to it, or change or eliminate it.

Like we always say......................YMMV.

Mac

ericmic1

« Reply #16 on: Jul 21, 2015, 08:51 AM »
I ended up ordering the 8hp 4 stroke tohatsu.  Between my Cabelas CC points and the magic of internet gift cards I am only out $1100 on a brand new motor with 5yr warranty....heck I couldn't get a used for that price.

As far as fuel.  I only run Non-Eth in my boat and lawn motor and chain saw and weed wacker...etc  There is a station that sells it next to my work at market price (they don't charge extra) its just 91.

A friend of mine had the same boat as me with a merc 9.9 2 stroke.  He was able to go < 1.2mph easy without a sock and well more than 4.5mph on gps.  But the fumes were tough at times. (his words not mine.

Only issue I have now is waiting 10 days for the dang thing to show up.....I wanted to hit Erie this weekend for walleye without using my big motor...oh well.

Anyways thank you all for the input it helped a lot..Oh one last thing...How long does your wife stay mad when you buy something without "ASKING" first??? ;D ;D ;D

-ericmic1

hunts2long

• Sacandaga
« Reply #17 on: Jul 21, 2015, 09:22 AM »
It usually takes years, but I can't hear her from the boat...Good Luck with your new motor...h2l

filetandrelease

« Reply #18 on: Jul 21, 2015, 10:04 AM »
It usually takes years, but I can't hear her from the boat...Good Luck with your new motor...h2l
To funny lol , my wife is cool about it

Mac Attack

« Reply #19 on: Jul 21, 2015, 11:05 AM »

.How long does your wife stay mad when you buy something without "ASKING" first??? ;D ;D ;D

-ericmic1

Not really sure.
I do this sort of thing so often that my wife stays constantly upset with me.
So things never change in my situation.

;D

Good job on the new Tohatsu!!!

Like my son Jeff suggested, don't wait too long upgrading with the alternator on that new kicker.
You won't regret doing it.

Have fun.
Mac

Jimmy

• "Fish Till Ya' Puke"
« Reply #20 on: Jul 21, 2015, 02:26 PM »
I use an old 1970 Johnson 6hp as a kicker on my little (but heavier) aluminum 14 footer.

It's the most bulletproof motor I've ever owned.   Incredibly smooth (twin cylinder) and quiet for a 45yr old two-stroke, literally SIPS fuel, and is perfect for anything between 1.5mph-4.5mph.

If you find one cheap, they are incredible.  I've owned almost a half-dozen OMC motors and never really like the lack of reliability, but this old 6hp is rock solid. 

Points/Condensers are not nearly the headache people make them out to be.  When properly set, these little motors run like sewing machines...  Mine often runs 10-12hrs a day without issue.

If you're on a budget, it's a great option for trolling.

"Once in awhile you get shown the light...  In the strangest of places if you look at it right..."    -J. Garcia

JSONWATER

« Reply #21 on: Jul 22, 2015, 08:55 AM »
Tohatsu, Nissan and Mercury all the same on recent year models from 30 hp and below, from my understanding.

I have a 2012 Merc 4 stroke 9.9 and love it..  I also have the 25 hp MERC 4 Stroke and love it.  I use it when not on a 10 hp or less restricted lake. They both are extremely fuel efficient...  This is my first post! Hello Everyone..

filetandrelease

« Reply #22 on: Jul 22, 2015, 11:41 AM »

Welcome aboard J

JSONWATER

« Reply #23 on: Jul 23, 2015, 07:10 AM »
Thanks, been lurking for a while, figured I would post something, finally...

ericmic1

« Reply #24 on: Jul 31, 2015, 11:06 PM »
So I got the motor...mounted and 1/2 wat through the break in period.  Everything seems great so far.

I just have 1 question. The base prop is 3 blade 7 pitch and it can't get even close to 5000-6000 rpm on my boat. I talked to support and they suggested I lower the pitch and told me to speak with a dealer.  I spoke with 2 different ones 1 said don't use the 4 blade. Other swears by it for fishing...

I am leaning towards the 4 blade as the guy I spoke to seemed more informed...was talking about all the walleye guys that by that prop from him.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

boondox

« Reply #25 on: Jul 31, 2015, 11:27 PM »
So I got the motor...mounted and 1/2 wat through the break in period.  Everything seems great so far.

I just have 1 question. The base prop is 3 blade 7 pitch and it can't get even close to 5000-6000 rpm on my boat. I talked to support and they suggested I lower the pitch and told me to speak with a dealer.  I spoke with 2 different ones 1 said don't use the 4 blade. Other swears by it for fishing...

I am leaning towards the 4 blade as the guy I spoke to seemed more informed...was talking about all the walleye guys that by that prop from him.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

they say to lower the pitch so it would have to be the 5 pitch I would call a prop manufacture to see what they got to say to see what they suggest??  I would say go with the four blade if it lagging a bit on speed   like one of these... I believe this is the correct motor? see link...

http://www.rubexprops.com/boat-propellers/Tohatsu/?motor=J0080B&ver=a&model=8HP%20MFS%208%204-Stroke%20(12%20Spline)

found you another link..

http://www.tohatsu.com/accessories/prop.asp

perch-hound

« Reply #26 on: Aug 01, 2015, 12:06 PM »

I just have 1 question. The base prop is 3 blade 7 pitch and it can't get even close to 5000-6000 rpm on my boat.
Any thoughts?

Do you need to hit the top end rpm's. You're pushing a lot of weight for an 8hp to hit that kind of rpm's.
I would size the prop so that you hit the 1.0 - 2.0 mph for trolling before worrying about 5-6k rpm's. Just my $.02

Mac Attack

« Reply #27 on: Aug 01, 2015, 01:49 PM »
Do you need to hit the top end rpm's. You're pushing a lot of weight for an 8hp to hit that kind of rpm's.
I would size the prop so that you hit the 1.0 - 2.0 mph for trolling before worrying about 5-6k rpm's. Just my $.02

Exactly!
You want a lot of control and a wide RPM range between 1-2.5 MPH
That's the reason I replaced my prop on my 8hp Honda kicker
And it still doesn't have the resolution I want
My current prop is the lowest pitch available so I'm going to have the diameter of it reduced at a local prop shop

I'm curious how you measured the RPM

Chowdaire

« Reply #28 on: Aug 01, 2015, 02:00 PM »
I know it's about the merc but explains the prop and gearing.

boondox

« Reply #29 on: Aug 01, 2015, 03:02 PM »

have you guys taken a look at his boat yet dry weight I think is around 1,263 pounds standard add gear equipment and people you most likely over 1,500  pounds this might be why he is looking at the four blade... but they are right just like I am you don't want to be hitting 5000-6000 rpm any how.  if you can at 1-2.5 mph you want a rpm range of around 2500-4500 rpm truth fully.. you may not even need the prop have you had it out on the water braking it in ? and it's sluggish like maxes out at 1.75 mph?  when you really want it to max out at 2 .5 mph  that when you want to switch out the prop maybe a four blade 7 pitch would work to hit the right rpms the 7 pitch will have more high end like more mph were the 5 pitch will have more low end torque for pulling a skier out of the water which you probably don't need..  that why you post threw me a tad cause they said to drop it a pitch and you not verifying mph.   that is why I said to call the prop manufacture and see what they got to say they may set him strait.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.