FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: What does your pier wagon look like?  (Read 5368 times)

rivereddy

What does your pier wagon look like?
« on: Jul 24, 2015, 03:17 PM »
Last week's trip for steelhead got me fired up to do a little more pier fishing.  It looks
like I'm going to have to fashion some kind of wagon or carry-all to get my stuff to
where I want to fish.  Looked at some "Store boughts" but it looks like a neat project
to make one from scratch or repurpose, say, a mini-cooper, by chopping the top off.
anyone willing to share ideas, show pics, or make suggestions?

fish on  (it's gotta have a coffee cup holder), fish off

rivereddy

boondox

Re: What does your pier wagon look like?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 24, 2015, 04:27 PM »
i got a little mate decked out but is that what your looking for?  I seen people do some weird stuff like this below...

the  hand cart is a postal cart for mailing boxes etc... and a milk crate with some pvc tubes attached can go  a long way to carry gear.... I like that idea but if traveling I go with the  fold up carts sold at walmarts for $59.99... now if just walking from your house what about a garden cart? I got to get pic of my lil mate it is awesome... 

boondox

« Reply #2 on: Jul 24, 2015, 04:54 PM »
here is a picture of my lil mate pier cart  I dough out...I still have other accessories like the bucket holder and cart liner etc...etc.. even have a leader holder I got to mount for rigging baits...

Boomer

« Reply #3 on: Jul 24, 2015, 04:59 PM »
Nice. Beats my backpack and five gallon bucket. 

boondox

« Reply #4 on: Jul 24, 2015, 05:05 PM »
Nice. Beats my backpack and five gallon bucket. 

yep sure does when you got 50-80 pound of fish in a cooler and all your gear on top..

oh and if thinking of doing what I did in the first  picture get a real hand truck stack the milk crate on a 48 quarter cooler it will work out better... and ratchet strap them all down...  I spilled a 48 quarter cooler full of minnows and water trying to carry it on the first one in the first photo...  you can sit on the milk crate use the bucket for rod holder etc.. etc .. that hand cart in the first photo is flimsy and will spill heavy items real easily...

High Flags

« Reply #5 on: Jul 25, 2015, 12:19 PM »

boondox

« Reply #6 on: Jul 26, 2015, 04:17 AM »
hay high flags what is your buckets filled with to need a hand truck to move them?  would it be easier to fill them with water on seen since lake Michigan is a large fresh water lake? then snap the lid back on?  now if doing what I just asked about the buckets should stack in side each other?  and you got a lot of wasted space ?seem like a cooler and a double wide milk crate would be perfect?  but it is a very interesting idea you got there..... I am sure it could be modified to work to be even more awesome then it is now... I don't fish the mc pier as you guys fish differently  then us east siders.. I am taking notes to cause there are some things I would design differently about your pier cart  but I am sure it suits you just fine... sorry for the questions I  don't fish that pier and was curious on what the buckets were filled with.... 

RIVERRAT2

• live to fish
« Reply #7 on: Jul 26, 2015, 07:06 AM »
some real looking wagons  thanks for sharing
 ;D ;D ;D
RAT                       
try to fish 200 days a year,cut back now,age

dakota

« Reply #8 on: Jul 26, 2015, 11:40 AM »
Here is mine. I made a new axle for bigger wheels to pull through the sand, and it folds flat so it can be thrown into a car if needed.

stinkybaits

« Reply #9 on: Jul 27, 2015, 04:28 AM »
High Flags love the setup!  :thumbup_smilie:

Boomer

« Reply #10 on: Jul 27, 2015, 06:47 AM »
Boondox - When I look at Higflag's set-up I see three buckets.  Each lid on the bucket has a rod holder base. This would make it hard to stack or nest the buckets. I like the set-up and others I have seen.  I, too, am watching closely. Now that I am returning to the area I will need one of these.

Question:  When rods are being transported, do they tip forward too much and slap you all the way to your fishing spot?  Should I angle the rod holder so they stay upright when being pulled to the pier?

(BTW: bigger tires a good idea for the sand)

boondox

« Reply #11 on: Jul 27, 2015, 05:35 PM »
Boondox - When I look at Higflag's set-up I see three buckets.  Each lid on the bucket has a rod holder base. This would make it hard to stack or nest the buckets. I like the set-up and others I have seen.  I, too, am watching closely. Now that I am returning to the area I will need one of these.

Question:  When rods are being transported, do they tip forward too much and slap you all the way to your fishing spot?  Should I angle the rod holder so they stay upright when being pulled to the pier?

(BTW: bigger tires a good idea for the sand)

I was wondering if the lid came off??  if not I know a way to make it so to work it involves ratchet straps and making you own lids thought... which would make more room? and would be a lot lighter to haul out to the pier??  if you need to know just ask how I would do it .. I am sure you can come up with your own ideas too... 

as for rods you need to angle them away from you so there not in your back  or eyes as you walk.   yes bigger rounder tires are good for sand like those sold at harbor freight for 4.99 with hub all the time and you get 20% off with a coupon's  all the times so keep it in mind.... even better for sand are those sold for my pier cart at another link if you need it I can find it there big orange tires but you should not need them... my lil-mate glides with 200 lbs threw sand easily and is in one of the above pictures... 

hounds

• If it were easy !!! Everyone would do it!
« Reply #12 on: Jul 27, 2015, 06:39 PM »
I have seen it in person, and Mark bought the lids I believe they screw on.  I also think he has the lid with the rod holder reinforced with something else.  They are well constructed.

High Flags

« Reply #13 on: Jul 27, 2015, 07:03 PM »
   Thanks stinky,,,,  this was a winter project I did at work a few years back , used to use my sons radio flyer wagon...It worked quite well.  I got that dolly at harbor freight for 30 bucks...The buckets carry all my bait tackle ,gear ..what ever.. the lids spin on and off real easy got them at Menards. like hounds said I fill them with water when I get there, very light weight to pull ,  the rods don't hit me been when hauling but you could angle them slightly, i like them standing straight up.... been using this for 3 years, only need one hand to pull it.     also the rod holders are quick set they fold right back if you get a fish on, plus i use bait runner reels on them..  I also haul fish in the empty buckets.     

I enjoy seeing all different types of pier carts,  fisherman sure use their brains, nice carts by everyone!  ...., I can thank dakota for getting me motivated to build one after I seen his... and my arms were falling off..lol  I knew I wanted one.

tires....these do okay in the sand but bigger is much better

boondox

« Reply #14 on: Jul 27, 2015, 09:20 PM »
thank you for the clarification high flags: it is sad to see some of the dirty tricks people play on others like carrying bucket of sand out to the pier every time they come out .... cause no one told them to fill their bucket full of water. it's stuff like that make me sick...  that why I was wondering some times people make some thing that does not open up to pour it out which is a like a self dirt trick carrying some thing like 10-12 pounds a gallon of water to and from the pier would suck... that is mainly why I asked to save you some trouble...   

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.