FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Vacuum Sealing panfish  (Read 3072 times)

crappie66

• BOILER UP
Vacuum Sealing panfish
« on: Aug 23, 2015, 08:36 PM »
I have read over the years that some use a vacuum sealer to package their fish before freezing.

Can you just put handful of fillets (~20 fillets) in the bag and seal, or do you need to layer the fish neatly?

I am not interested in other methods as I already use other methods, just interested in how those who vac seal do it.

Mac Attack

Re: Vacuum Sealing panfish
« Reply #1 on: Aug 23, 2015, 08:48 PM »
You can do 1 or 20.
Or 200 if your bag is large enough.
It all works.
Been doing it for quite a while.
Good luck.

Mac

Nomis

« Reply #2 on: Aug 23, 2015, 09:03 PM »
You can pack them however you'd like.

Personally, my packages tend to be thin and flat. You'll find they stack better in the freezer, and then they'll thaw faster when you're ready for a meal.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3 on: Aug 23, 2015, 09:06 PM »
Just try and dry them as good as you can...Other wise the moisture will get sucked in to the seal and not work..
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

treepotato

« Reply #4 on: Aug 23, 2015, 09:41 PM »
this is the only way i do panfish anymore, takes alot of moisture out of the fillets and i believe the meat stays more firm. i pat dry my fillets with paper towel then lay them on wax paper on a cookie sheet so none of them are touching each other. then i stack the cookie sheets in the freezer for a couple hours. when i take them out they are frozen solid and are like potato chips. i usually put about 10 in a vacuum bag and run it on my vacuum sealer. then the bags stack nicely in the freezer. when i get ready to fry some up i just float the bag in the sink with water in it and they thaw in literally minutes. then cut the bag open and fix them however you like. works great. by freezing them first you dont have to worry about sucking moisture into your vacuum sealer.........treepotato

Boomer

« Reply #5 on: Aug 24, 2015, 08:37 AM »
Love my vacuum sealer.  I put my fish - any number - into the bag and then let them freeze for awhile before sealing.  Sometimes I will put a little paper towel near the opening end and then freeze.  When I thaw mine I will place them into a bowl of cool or lukewarm water. Once I used really hot water and somewhat cooked the fish.

With that said, I do the same for my sweet corn but when it comes time to cook it I just take the bag from the freezer and place in a pot of boiling water until the corn is hot. You don't even have to open the bag until it is ready.

Good luck.

Boomer

« Reply #6 on: Aug 24, 2015, 01:44 PM »
Just a question:  Do you already have a vacuum sealer?  My wife talked me into buying a more expensive model the last time. Never again. I likethe basic model. I can adjust the size of the bag better and have less waste of bagging material (= less cost). Also, I think it works faster without all the fancy stuff on it. Just my opinion.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #7 on: Aug 24, 2015, 02:30 PM »
Just try and dry them as good as you can...Other wise the moisture will get sucked in to the seal and not work..

Take a rolled paper towel and place it near the sealed end inside the bag then vacuum seal. I've used this method for years to absorb the excess moisture in fish, meats and sauces.

Any more, I keep so little fish, I may freeze a few fillets, but they're gone before I know it ;D

Fish ........eat........sleep........fish.........eat ......sleep.......and the beat goes on ;D

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

crappie66

• BOILER UP
« Reply #8 on: Aug 24, 2015, 06:42 PM »
Thank you everybody for the input. 

Just a question:  Do you already have a vacuum sealer? 

I don't have one yet.  Over the weekend my wife came up with the idea of getting one, so I was looking online at what is available - so many models by each manufacturer.  I figure if it ends up like all the other kitchen gadgets she "needs" I can still get good use out of it.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #9 on: Aug 24, 2015, 06:48 PM »
Your still better off freezing them in zip lock bags filled with water...      ;)
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

abishop

« Reply #10 on: Aug 24, 2015, 07:02 PM »
Your still better off freezing them in zip lock bags filled with water...      ;)

I totally agree. I bought a almost new one at a rummage sale then bought 2 rolls of bags which cost a pretty penny and have never used it. What a waste. I am an old fashioned guy. I still like the freezer bags filled with water. Just make sure you get all the air bubbles out. I have eaten fish that were 4 years old without any freezer burn and they tasted like they were just caught.

crappie66

• BOILER UP
« Reply #11 on: Aug 24, 2015, 08:56 PM »
I totally agree. I bought a almost new one at a rummage sale then bought 2 rolls of bags which cost a pretty penny and have never used it. What a waste. I am an old fashioned guy. I still like the freezer bags filled with water. Just make sure you get all the air bubbles out. I have eaten fish that were 4 years old without any freezer burn and they tasted like they were just caught.

I currently do the ziplock bag with water method, once the freezer gets full I pull the oldest bags out and give to the neighbor.  The bags take up a lot of space in the freezer and it is like playing jinga when I am looking through the freezer.  I am not concerned with the cost of the rolls, they were only ~$10 from what I saw.  If I don't like it I can always revert back to the old fashioned way.

fishcrazy

« Reply #12 on: Aug 25, 2015, 11:55 AM »
Ice tomb is the only way.Never a worry in my house of Fillets getting old . Teenager can smash a few pounds of fish no problem.Usually have to tell him to save some for the rest of us. 

Boomer

« Reply #13 on: Aug 25, 2015, 02:12 PM »
Thank you everybody for the input. 
A friend told me we would use the sealer daily - really?!  We do use ours more than three or four times a week - excluding deer season.  My wife says that we save enough money just on cheese we do not throw out anymore.  Also, the bags are reuseable. We make them a little  longer than necessary and reuse several times.  Need something stored in a water tight container - vacuum sealer! I do this with my boat registration and my wife's fishing license. Keep it on the counter and use it.

I don't have one yet.  Over the weekend my wife came up with the idea of getting one, so I was looking online at what is available - so many models by each manufacturer.  I figure if it ends up like all the other kitchen gadgets she "needs" I can still get good use out of it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.