FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Wabash River report  (Read 2047 times)

bigr

Wabash River report
« on: Aug 26, 2015, 04:37 AM »
The river is finely down to a good level and is running a very nice color,clear. Got out last evening at the mouth of the Wabash and sally and did very well on multi species. Biggest eye was 22" and smallest was 16". Seven different species and alot of missed taps made for a enjoyable hour and half of fishing. Water temp was pleasant but definitely cooler than a normal Aug day. The high water all summer i think has the eyes holding further up stream and getting them on there fall bite early. Chartreuse Berkly twister and chartreuse shad rap was all i used and both worked equally well. Have i mentioned the fact i hate the hooks on the shad raps. They look as if they are turned in to much closing the gap between point and shank. I get alot of missed hits and blame it on the hooks. I know i should change them out but i won't take the time. Should have a good month of good blue jean fishing. Good luck to you all.

icecleate

Re: Wabash River report
« Reply #1 on: Aug 26, 2015, 05:14 PM »
The river is finely down to a good level and is running a very nice color,clear. Got out last evening at the mouth of the Wabash and sally and did very well on multi species. Biggest eye was 22" and smallest was 16". Seven different species and alot of missed taps made for a enjoyable hour and half of fishing. Water temp was pleasant but definitely cooler than a normal Aug day. The high water all summer i think has the eyes holding further up stream and getting them on there fall bite early. Chartreuse Berkly twister and chartreuse shad rap was all i used and both worked equally well. Have i mentioned the fact i hate the hooks on the shad raps. They look as if they are turned in to much closing the gap between point and shank. I get alot of missed hits and blame it on the hooks. I know i should change them out but i won't take the time. Should have a good month of good blue jean fishing. Good luck to you all.
Thanks for the post. It brings back memories of when my grandpa would take me to that spot. I only remember catching bass at that time. This was in the mid to late 60's. I do not know if there was eyes in the river back then. I moved to NW Indiana in '69..

RoeBoat

« Reply #2 on: Aug 26, 2015, 08:31 PM »
Any signs of the fish kill down that way?

bigr

« Reply #3 on: Aug 27, 2015, 04:02 AM »
Not heard of any kind of fish kill but no, no sign of fish kill. River seems much cleaner in that area as far as silt and setiments go. The flushing i think really help clean her out.

gilldan

« Reply #4 on: Aug 27, 2015, 07:51 AM »
RoeBoat the only fish kills that I'm aware of is the one just east of Bluffton and one just past the Wells. co. line near Linn Grove.  Several fish died and one dog from drinking the water.  IDEM suspects the blue/green algae in both cases causing the lack of oxygen.

kesdadddy7597

« Reply #5 on: Aug 27, 2015, 08:53 AM »
Good report!  Are you fishing from the shore or wading? 

bigr

« Reply #6 on: Aug 27, 2015, 11:27 AM »
Wading

Boomer

« Reply #7 on: Aug 27, 2015, 02:10 PM »
Sounds like a good time.  I see on the IDNR website that lake levels are back to or close to summer pool. Hopefully this is the start of some good times for the fall bite.

RoeBoat

« Reply #8 on: Aug 27, 2015, 08:31 PM »
RoeBoat the only fish kills that I'm aware of is the one just east of Bluffton and one just past the Wells. co. line near Linn Grove.  Several fish died and one dog from drinking the water.  IDEM suspects the blue/green algae in both cases causing the lack of oxygen.

Yes, that's the one I was talking about and the areas the fish were found.  Just wondered if anyone was seeing anything else.  Decaturs sanitarian was called out by the DNR and the last I talked to him all of the test results weren't back yet.  I was told the outfall at St. Mary's drains into the Walbash.

bigr

« Reply #9 on: Aug 28, 2015, 06:57 AM »
I think all that water ends up in erie.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.