FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Some neat old stuff  (Read 3261 times)

rp dog

Some neat old stuff
« on: Aug 31, 2015, 08:21 PM »

Found these old reels while cleaning out my moms basement for a living estate sale as we had to put her in a home. I'm not familiar with some of them but they must have been my dads the only one I remember is the Johnson sabre. Pretty neat the little bait caster has ingraving on the side. Any ideas?

IFF

Re: Some neat old stuff
« Reply #1 on: Sep 01, 2015, 09:53 PM »
The Mitchell is one of the newer ones.  The older ones stamped made in Finland, rotate in the opposite direction.  The Johnson I would guess is from the late 50's and 60's.  The bait caster was a fairly common to that time period. There were a lot of makers into that style. Only a guess on that one, an Ocean City maybe ?  Used mainly as a boat reel.  The spinning real in top of picture I would say predates them all.
*¿*  Bud

fishlessman

« Reply #2 on: Sep 02, 2015, 12:07 PM »
any name on the upper spinning reel, i dont think ive seen that reel before

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3 on: Sep 02, 2015, 01:59 PM »
I know the fly box. Good old Perrine. Just sold half a dozen at my garage sale. The bait caster is a Pfleuger Nobby. Probably around 1960 or so.
I have one in my collection.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

fishlessman

« Reply #4 on: Sep 03, 2015, 09:34 AM »
google imaged the top one, its a ru mer surf casting reel, probably late 40's with the half bail

rp dog

« Reply #5 on: Sep 05, 2015, 08:46 PM »
Sorry fellas Been pretty busy. The big green one is pretty neat the bail system has more of a finger on it not a complete wire bail. I'm going to look it over better this week . They will be a permanent part of my collection. Thanks for the information.
Rp

tomturkey

« Reply #6 on: Sep 05, 2015, 09:24 PM »
Them dang little bait casters and all the backlashes level wind or not. What a pain. Still can remember snapping turtles spooling me of the Dacron line.

I bought a Japanese spinning reel that hardly lasted one summer. OH what an in improvement the Mitchel 300 was.

myemmy

« Reply #7 on: Sep 06, 2015, 06:13 PM »
Every fisher person owned a Mitchell 300 at one time or another.

myemmy

« Reply #8 on: Sep 06, 2015, 06:14 PM »
Some of those bait asters were a lot of money in those years!

myemmy

« Reply #9 on: Sep 06, 2015, 06:15 PM »
Sorry bait casters but you knew that.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #10 on: Sep 06, 2015, 06:45 PM »
My rod growing up was a steel shaft bait caster with one of those demon reels and black Dacron line....poundage rating somewhere between 10 and 120 lbs.

But, we would hang a hook and worm off it and a big old plastic bobber above and catch bluegills and bass and perch. Kid fishing at its best.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Mac Attack

« Reply #11 on: Sep 06, 2015, 07:14 PM »
My rod growing up was a steel shaft bait caster with one of those demon reels and black Dacron line....poundage rating somewhere between 10 and 120 lbs.

But, we would hang a hook and worm off it and a big old plastic bobber above and catch bluegills and bass and perch. Kid fishing at its best.

Rg

Ditto
The good ole days Bob
Lol

JerryofWNY

• Get involved with your local club!
« Reply #12 on: Sep 07, 2015, 09:33 AM »

Rg

Oh the memories.
"Most folks are just about as happy as they make up their minds to be."....Abe Lincoln

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.