FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: How do you think the 48yr record for largemouth hasn't been beat.  (Read 3910 times)

xjam721

I was looking at the record list and was very surprised that no one has broke the record in nearly 50yrs. With technology these days, better equipment and better baits hows is this truly possible. 

stripernut

Fishing pressure? If the fish is not there to be caught, it does not matter what you use... Check with a State Biologist and see if they are getting fish in their sample nets that beat the state record, I know they have talked about it with lake trout...

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
Largemouth Bass    25.80"    10 lbs. 8 oz.    Lake Potanipo    Brookline    May-67    G. Bullpitt    NH
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

jibbs

I think it has been beat but some anglers don't want to go through the crap of getting it verified or telling where it happened ..I know a few years ago a bass was caught in late October on squam which would of beat it.:there was a cell phone pic floating around ..I think the large number of bass or fish in the lakes play a part as well and finally like someone said the pressure
Chuck Norris sorts his clothes in three loads.....whites, colors, and blood stains

gbp

I remember a few years ago of one being caught in Horseshoe pond in Merrimack that they got a trophy cert for the length.  May have been a record but it was released.  Think it was caught during the no keep spawn period too though. 
chasingflags on iceshanty

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
I don't think people realize what an impact fishing has on a fish population.  Even when fish are taken care as well as possible, you loose 10%...then you realize that most fisherman treat fish like crap, its pretty easy to see how vulnerable fish can be.     

Dispy

4 large Largemouth over 13 pounds in my home lake...another shattering Smallmouth Record from an un-disclosed Northern Pond..Jibbs is correct....fellow B.A.S.S. angler Rick Lillegard caught multiple 13's as well from our home lake.....
"Meet the new with your ears, eyes and mind wide open, and your mouth tightly shut."

Knot there yet

What about 9.5lbs pickerel record even older than that. We've come close but only through the the ice. I always thought that the record would come through the ice anyways. Ice fishermen don't have livewells to sustain a fish of that size long enough to get weight certified at baitshop. I'd love to see these tournament guys weigh a 13 lbs. even something close. I fished opens for years and 8lbs is biggest fish I've ever seen weighed  in MA. Even the the ice derbies 7-8 lbs. max. My friends and I think something about that record smells fishy and that why nobody submits to break it. Everyone will want pics and  say there fixed. Everyone will want to know where. Then all the people that want it released may have something to do with it. You win but you lose either way you go.

TightLinesMaine

Maine's Bass records follow suit as well.  Neither our smallmouth nor Largemouth records have been broken in over 45 years.  Occassionally 8 to 10 lb largemouth bass are caught in Maine to this day tho.  I would say 10+ is extremely rare...

UglyStik

Found this article on it:
http://www.gameandfishmag.com/fishing/bass/largemouth-bass/10-biggest-largemouth-bass-world-records-ever/

I hadn't realized the record was tied.
Also notable:
one guy has two in the top 10
11 y.o. girl has 7th place
14 y.o. boy holds 8th

Seahunt

• Coffin Dodger @ IS
Great article!  8)
Thanks for sharing.

Mr.Harry

4 large Largemouth over 13 pounds in my home lake...another shattering Smallmouth Record from an un-disclosed Northern Pond..Jibbs is correct....fellow B.A.S.S. angler Rick Lillegard caught multiple 13's as well from our home lake.....

love to see some pics of that

zwiggles

Does anyone know when large mouth were introduced to that lake? I believe when a new species is introduced to a foreign body of water that the first few generations can produce the biggest fish. The idea being that many of the fish breeding and competing in this new body of water don't have the ability or the genetics to adapt well to it. After a few generations the fish with the dominant genes/ skills which thrive in the new body of water have spread there genes to the point where they dominate the lake. Then you have more genetically superior fish in the same lake competing for the same amount of food and the overall size of the fish goes down. Basically more competition = smaller fish.

I could be totally wrong about this as it is purely based off of observation, and I haven't done any research to confirm my theory.

AquaAssassin

Does anyone know when large mouth were introduced to that lake? I believe when a new species is introduced to a foreign body of water that the first few generations can produce the biggest fish. The idea being that many of the fish breeding and competing in this new body of water don't have the ability or the genetics to adapt well to it. After a few generations the fish with the dominant genes/ skills which thrive in the new body of water have spread there genes to the point where they dominate the lake. Then you have more genetically superior fish in the same lake competing for the same amount of food and the overall size of the fish goes down. Basically more competition = smaller fish.

I could be totally wrong about this as it is purely based off of observation, and I haven't done any research to confirm my theory.

Sounds good to me, that has been exactly the case in any smaller body's of water I crappie fish as the years go on
It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

When you’re good at something, you’ll tell everyone. When you’re great at something, they’ll tell you.

Seahunt

• Coffin Dodger @ IS
Sounds good to me, that has been exactly the case in any smaller body's of water I crappie fish as the years go on
Yep, then a lot of those smaller bodies can get overfished and the cycle goes around... ;)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.