FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: BASS LAKE  (Read 3246 times)

abishop

BASS LAKE
« on: Sep 16, 2015, 07:10 PM »
Has anyone caught anything there lately? My last time out I got 1 cat. Want to give it another try soon. Think I will target crappie since I haven't had any luck going after Mr. Walleye.

abishop

Re: BASS LAKE
« Reply #1 on: Sep 24, 2015, 03:13 PM »
Anyone planning on trying it on Saturday?

LundProv

« Reply #2 on: Sep 24, 2015, 08:28 PM »
I spent this past Monday morning on Bass Lake.  I wanted to try some new techniques I had learned from a guide on Lake Mendota in Madison, Wisconsin last week and came back from Wisconsin all fired up.  I got on the water about 7AM and had crawlers and minnows.  I chose to head to the region between Cranberry Point and the old restaurant on the north shore (I think).  I was looking for weeds but never found any.  I did mark a ton of fish and had a lot of surface activity consistently in 14' of water.  I tried crawlers and minnows on lindy type rigs with no takers.  There was only one other boat on the water and they were fishing the deep hole directly in front of the beach.  I did not see them catch but they were pretty far from me.  So, at about 11 am I decided to head to the ramp and go home and thought I would just use a jig and minnow straight out in front of the beach/State park region.  So, I found the 25' hole and slowly navigated towards the ramp with my Ipilot.  A simple 1/8 oz Northern Chartreuse jig with a medium size crappie minnow was irresistible to a 17" walleye.  This walleye was healthy enough, a bit skinny and somewhat grayish in color.  I filled the live well and kept him/her on board to keep me company and stayed another 30 minutes.  No more action and so I let this fish go and he/she swam off happily.  I headed to the ramp and coincidentally the other boat showed up as I was loading my boat.  I tried to be friendly and when I asked them how they did, they kind of grunted and blew me off.  Of course, they asked me how I did and I told them I limited out.  I just didn't tell them I limited out of time as I needed to get home.  A beautiful day on the lake and I learned more about my Lowrance system and one of these days, I will catch a fish or two...

crappie66

• BOILER UP
« Reply #3 on: Sep 24, 2015, 09:30 PM »
I have never fished this lake, but keep reading the same story the past winter and this summer for this lake -- very few fish being caught.

I would assume the walleye population took a big hit after a couple years ago the lake was raped by everybody keeping the little barely legal cigar shaped walleye.

Boomer

« Reply #4 on: Sep 25, 2015, 06:30 AM »
Locals here tell me that Bass Lake is more of a fall/winter/spring lake. once the speed boats get going it makes for tough fishing.  I did really well on the ice at times and this past spring we hit the walleyes pretty good with several days when we did very well.  Never found the crappie this spring.  It is a shallow lake for the most part. There are fish, finding them is the hard part.

bigr

« Reply #5 on: Sep 25, 2015, 08:44 AM »
I've heard it said that Bass is considered a put and take lake for eyes. I think that is why the new regs on size limit doesn't apply to Bass. Dnr survey shows very few large fish because of warm water temps and not so much catch pressure. Dnr stocks Bass with eyes as much as any, I think expecting fish to be caught before they die.

izzy65

« Reply #6 on: Sep 25, 2015, 10:23 PM »
I would have to dessagree. dont no of
Satchmo

izzy65

« Reply #7 on: Sep 25, 2015, 10:26 PM »
sorry computer took a nuts. as i was saying dont no of stocking lately.
Satchmo

icecleate

« Reply #8 on: Sep 26, 2015, 02:59 PM »
sorry computer took a nuts. as i was saying dont no of stocking lately.
I talked to the fish biologist this summer and he stated Bass Lake is stocked every year. The eye growth is not good there and that is why they are keeping the limit at 14".

wallin

« Reply #9 on: Sep 26, 2015, 05:41 PM »
None of the lakes have really been good this year.
I have seen many limits and big eyes taken out of Bass Lake, just not in the last 1 1/2 years. used to be good threw the ice too.
I think its because theres many more boats fishing that lake then there used to be and most of the locals know not to post of fish caught because of the
mad rush of boats that will appear.
We'll see how Big Al does on the ice this year.lol
Wallin

abishop

« Reply #10 on: Sep 26, 2015, 05:52 PM »
None of the lakes have really been good this year.
I have seen many limits and big eyes taken out of Bass Lake, just not in the last 1 1/2 years. used to be good threw the ice too.
I think its because theres many more boats fishing that lake then there used to be and most of the locals know not to post of fish caught because of the
mad rush of boats that will appear.
We'll see how Big Al does on the ice this year.lol
  That is a joke.. HAHA Last year I didn't even get out. I HOPE THIS YEAR IS BETTER. CAN'T GET ANY WORSE. LOL.....

abishop

« Reply #11 on: Oct 11, 2015, 07:24 AM »
Has anyone been there lately??

abishop

« Reply #12 on: Oct 13, 2015, 12:10 PM »
Looks like Thursday I will be looking for Mr. Walleye. Hopefully I can find a few before ice gets here.

Boomer

« Reply #13 on: Oct 13, 2015, 01:56 PM »
I would think with the north/northwest wind today it should be good.  Most boats and docks are out of the water now.  Good luck.

abishop

« Reply #14 on: Oct 13, 2015, 02:27 PM »
In the early spring I have always done good, the windier the better.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.