FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Gliss fishing line review  (Read 2146 times)

stripernut

Gliss fishing line review
« on: Sep 28, 2015, 07:46 AM »
I am reposting my review to help in finding it;

Well, I got in a spool of 24lb Gliss and have made 3 fresh water trips with it. So far I have mixed results. The line is very thin and smooth and it does cast well. I have had 1 unexpected thing happen with it that I will do my best to explain; The line is so light that many lures like a Jitterbug or different wide bodied jerkbaits, helicoptered or flutter much more in the air (during a cast) than is normal (meaning with say 20lb PP Slick) it lost any distance that the thin, slick line gives you and most often made for a shorter distance... It also twisted the lines faster. As many of you know, I fish Jitterbugs often, so this is not a good thing... When I am casting something with little wind resistance the line flies off the spool and does add some distance. I think this will be a great line for chasing to Funny Fish down the Cape!
As for knot strength I had no real problems. I use a Bimini to my Shampo swivel above my floro leader and it held just fine, with the caveat of the line is so slick that the "binding" knot of the Bimini did sometime come undone. The knot still held fast and this is not the first time I have seen this happen with spectra lines. I did tie direct with my scum frogs and jitterbugs and again had no problems. What I used for that is a modified Palomar; to do this, I pass the line through twice when I am making the overhand knot. I do this for all spectra lines and it is very strong and does not slip, it also seems to help with "shock" loads like when hook setting or when a bail pops over in a cast (I am making all my reels manual bailed soon!). So in the end, I think that I will use this line for certain types of fishing (casting hardware at Wachusett Rec or Bonito and Albacore on the Cape), but for the day to day, I think there are better choices. One last note about this line, it float big time, it looks like most of the time it does not even break the surface tension of the water, now that is light!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.