FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Muskies on the fly  (Read 2006 times)

ftwwalleye

Muskies on the fly
« on: Oct 02, 2015, 09:40 PM »
This year I began really trying to target all species that I've ever caught in indiana on the fly rod. Been a pretty successful year and a lot of learning curves and fly tying. I've fished a few times for muskie with bldfrt and have not yet caught one. I know they are the fish of a thousand cast. Is webster even a place to attempt throwing giant flies? It seems like as many times as I have chucked a bait caster the fly rod would be hard with a shorter casting distance and coverage. Anyone caught one on the fly? I guess I was thinking that my first one would be sweet on the fly.

Teacherpreacher

Re: Muskies on the fly
« Reply #1 on: Oct 03, 2015, 08:59 AM »
I caught one on a fly in Canada years ago, just at 30". Was quite a thrill. Was using a hair frog I tied and was fishing for smallmouths when he tore into it. Jumped 3 times.
I would think Webster would be the place. Last time I fished it was in the Fall and my buddy and I had 7 rises but no strikes.
Good luck!
Teach
Do all that you love, with those that you love, as often as you can.

ftwwalleye

« Reply #2 on: Oct 03, 2015, 11:35 AM »
I caught one on a fly in Canada years ago, just at 30". Was quite a thrill. Was using a hair frog I tied and was fishing for smallmouths when he tore into it. Jumped 3 times.
I would think Webster would be the place. Last time I fished it was in the Fall and my buddy and I had 7 rises but no strikes.
Good luck!
Teach
Thanks teach. Figured this is the time and how rewarding would that be.....the largest fish I've caught on the fly was a 30 inch steelhead and that was a ton of fun. Fish on brother

kesdadddy7597

« Reply #3 on: Oct 03, 2015, 11:05 PM »
Talk to Rick out at PTO.  I know he has caught some on flies, and might be able to point you in the right direction.  I don't target them much, but I feel you don't have to go all the way to Webster to have a good shot.  Some of the lakes closer to the Fort have good populations and are not as large. 

ftwwalleye

« Reply #4 on: Oct 04, 2015, 07:09 AM »
Talk to Rick out at PTO.  I know he has caught some on flies, and might be able to point you in the right direction.  I don't target them much, but I feel you don't have to go all the way to Webster to have a good shot.  Some of the lakes closer to the Fort have good populations and are not as large. 
Yeah, rick is the dude. Such a nice guy full of great info. I get all my fly needs at pto!

ryoder

« Reply #5 on: Oct 04, 2015, 08:09 AM »
Come down to FL in June and catch a Tarpon on a fly.  :o
Part time Florida Fisherman - Part time Indiana Fisherman

dsqui

« Reply #6 on: Oct 04, 2015, 11:22 AM »
what lakes closer to fort wayne have em in there

IcEmAn...24/7

• Toad Time!!!
« Reply #7 on: Oct 06, 2015, 07:33 PM »
Believe Webster has the highest density of Muskies per acre.  I know they get a ton of pressure but Webster would be my pick.  October and November is a great time to target them.

DNR started stocking Lake Everett a few years back.  Thought it was great as it is a short drive from Fort Wayne.  However, I have heard of issues with people messing with your trailer and tow vehicale while you are out on the lake.

Good luck!

ftwwalleye

« Reply #8 on: Oct 06, 2015, 08:00 PM »
Believe Webster has the highest density of Muskies per acre.  I know they get a ton of pressure but Webster would be my pick.  October and November is a great time to target them.

DNR started stocking Lake Everett a few years back.  Thought it was great as it is a short drive from Fort Wayne.  However, I have heard of issues with people messing with your trailer and tow vehicale while you are out on the lake.

Good luck!
Ha...bldfrt and I had some hood rat kids Messing with his truck at everette. Now I just need to see if it's worth buying a 12 weight fly rod.....ha

Edge

« Reply #9 on: Oct 07, 2015, 02:15 PM »
After Everett, Loon in Whitley might be the next closest to FW.

bldfrt

« Reply #10 on: Oct 07, 2015, 06:32 PM »
Believe Webster has the highest density of Muskies per acre.  I know they get a ton of pressure but Webster would be my pick.  October and November is a great time to target them.

Good luck!

Ha...bldfrt and I had some hood rat kids Messing with his truck at everette. Now I just need to see if it's worth buying a 12 weight fly rod.....ha

That kid took my gas cap

ftwwalleye

« Reply #11 on: Oct 09, 2015, 11:12 AM »
skinner is another musky lake just up 3.

i never fished them with a fly but i have pike.  i always liked big streamers in hot pike, black, or white. be prepared to catch good bass too.  fly is fun but not as productive as mepps chunkin this time of year.
Thanks fishogger

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.