FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: St Joe  (Read 4013 times)

crappiehunter

St Joe
« on: Oct 08, 2015, 05:23 PM »
Got out on the Joe around Buchanan today. Beautiful day but the bite was tough. A couple small bass. Maybe too nice out!! Any suggestions on the stretch of the River?
Crappie, Bass, Gills, Eyes, Pike, anything that swims!!

boondox

Re: St Joe
« Reply #1 on: Oct 09, 2015, 01:08 PM »
we use to fish the pier heads In the early 80's  for trout salmon and steel but it started getting a tad rough so we stopped going out there... and headed north... I am sure casting cleos on the pier head  or even fishing shrimp or alewifes under a plunked float would get you a salmon or steel but the wind has to be right...got to get that cold water into the pier heads  a lot of guys are plunking with there noodle rods like 3-8 ounce weights triangles and surf claws. then will slide a float down with shrimp, alewifes, or even spawn they use it like  a slide rig   snap swivel at one end hook at other float in the middle ... 8 foot leader total ... four to 6 foot of leader beyond the float if you bobber goes under start reeling in asap they have not locked off the swivel on the weight and are still tying to get free and usually do if you don't get it locked off quick enough...  try glow in the dark foam pellets in the shrimp and eggs bags alewifes slide a glow bead against the hook for night fishing... the salmon will find those glowing items and strike some times... I charge mine with a black lite but that's just me ...put the rod in sand spike rod holders with a bell and sit back and relax....

fishcharmmer

« Reply #2 on: Oct 11, 2015, 02:56 PM »
Hey crappiehunter the river fishing has slowed way down even the coho movement also , walleye slowed don't know if the low water has anything to do with the bites or crazy weather maybe both

crappiehunter

« Reply #3 on: Oct 11, 2015, 05:17 PM »
Thanks for the tips!  I love fishing a river and know I need to put into the time to learn it.
Crappie, Bass, Gills, Eyes, Pike, anything that swims!!

FishKing83

• ROLL TIDE - FISH ON!
« Reply #4 on: Nov 02, 2015, 12:11 PM »
Until we get some good hard rains im not expecting to see much movement of fish into the system.  They are slowly trickling in but numbers are extremely low for what they usually are for this time of year.
ROLL TIDE - FISH ON!

Big Lumpy

• Was that a Rooster?
« Reply #5 on: Nov 10, 2015, 10:16 AM »
any updates. I'm looking to fish near berrien springs dam for walleye.  One of my concerns is that I have a 18.5' fiberglass boat and wonder if I should even attempt.  I'm not familiar with the river and don't want to damage my boat first trip out.  I fished with a guide one day last year and can't remember if the bottom was rock/sand and if it had a lot of timber. thanks.

Mac Attack

« Reply #6 on: Nov 10, 2015, 10:46 AM »
Above the dam in Lake Chapin you should be fine, depending how far up river you go.
Below the d**n you better know the river and be careful.
I've fished both a few times with a friend who lives in Dowagiac and would never attempt below the dam alone by myself.
He's fished there his whole life though.
And we used a light 16' Browning aluminum that doesn't draft too much water.
Also, the boat is old and isn't a big deal if he scrapes bottom here or there.
I do know he trimmed the old Merc up a bit when running to protect the lower unit.
Good luck if you go and post how you do.

Mac

FishKing83

• ROLL TIDE - FISH ON!
« Reply #7 on: Nov 13, 2015, 09:45 AM »
If you are headed up river from the launch at Shamrock Park you should be fine.  Only area with really skinny water is going to be at the top end of the island above the bridge.  When you get towards the dam at the end of the island the water will be pretty skinny there.  If you are going with someone else and its not early or late in the day when they can see what's going on you should be fine.  Hope this helps.
ROLL TIDE - FISH ON!

Big Lumpy

• Was that a Rooster?
« Reply #8 on: Nov 16, 2015, 08:26 AM »
Thanks for advice gentlemen..  I've been looking at lap Chapin as well. I wasn't sure where the closest launch is to get there. Is Chapin where the Crappie fishing is as well?  I'm sorry for so many questions. As I'm in NW indiana I am really looking for a great place to catch fish that isn't bass/blue gill  (nothing against those species just want something different).  Not much in my area and ST. Joe area is beautiful and looks to be a pretty productive fishery if you know what you are doing.  thanks again and look forward to maybe seeing you out there soon!

Mac Attack

« Reply #9 on: Nov 16, 2015, 08:38 AM »
The town launch is on the west end of the dam at the end of Mechanic St. for Lake Chapin.
Decent launch.
Not sure if the dock is still in though.

I don't know of any other launches on the small lake.

Big Lumpy

• Was that a Rooster?
« Reply #10 on: Nov 16, 2015, 10:24 AM »
Thanks Attack.  Any Walleyes in that area?  I apologize for all the questions. I have no river experience.  I assume the walleyes don't use the fish ladder so I hope there are walleyes in Chapin.  thanks again for the help!

Mac Attack

« Reply #11 on: Nov 16, 2015, 01:46 PM »
I've fished the St. Joe from the lake all the way past Constantine clear to Three Rivers.
And I've caught five eyes total in the 40+ years I've fished it.
lol

Yea, there are eyes in that Lake there in Berrien Springs.
But I've never seen any caught.
The entire river has eyes in it.
Best places to fish for them typically is below any of the dams on the river in the tailraces.

To be honest, I have typically fished for cats.
I've caught hundreds of them in that river.
They fight like crazy.
Are almost always biting.
And they taste pretty good too.

Good luck.

Mac

Mondo

« Reply #12 on: Dec 18, 2015, 11:37 AM »
 Find a flat with stumps and rocks and troll Shadraps and you can catch walleyes, that has been my experience.  Used this method from the hospital bridge in St. Joe  back up to the launch by I94 with good success.  Long rods in rod holders 8lb test but have to let them out quit a ways back.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.