FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: 13 fishing ice rods  (Read 6016 times)

dsqui

13 fishing ice rods
« on: Oct 09, 2015, 06:51 PM »
gander in coldwater is starting to set out there ice gear.  they have the new 13 fishing widowmaker series already on the shelves got to check one out they are sweet.  but they should be at 80 dollars a pop

Greg2ha

• Must fish for fun!
Re: 13 fishing ice rods
« Reply #1 on: Oct 10, 2015, 11:15 AM »
Jim at Pro tackle is also a 13 Fishing dealer. Check them out on Lima road.

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #2 on: Oct 20, 2015, 08:12 AM »
80 bucks for an ice rod!!!!???? :o  :o :o people actually buy that stuff?  thats just insane! 

glad i'm not the only one that thinks that

rivereddy

« Reply #3 on: Oct 20, 2015, 09:01 AM »
Just spent all of $ 6.00 for cork rings to make a handle for a top
section off of a broken high end spinning rod.  32", ML action and
I'm good to go....

fish on,

rivereddy

sprkplug

« Reply #4 on: Oct 20, 2015, 08:18 PM »
Maybe it's not always about the price tag, but rather the enjoyment that comes from allowing oneself a splurge, now and again? I say more power to those who enjoy using high end equipment.

pete/ny

« Reply #5 on: Oct 20, 2015, 11:03 PM »
Maybe it's not always about the price tag, but rather the enjoyment that comes from allowing oneself a splurge, now and again? I say more power to those who enjoy using high end equipment.
Well said!

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #6 on: Oct 21, 2015, 11:26 AM »

I guess I'm just not one of those people that would spend $80 on factory made ice fishing rod.    I mean I get it, some people would prefer to spend 60k on a BMW rather than 30k on a Subaru.   Its just that for the money, you can get so much more. 

sprkplug

« Reply #7 on: Oct 21, 2015, 11:43 AM »
Sure, but then again how many of us here are still using the cane pole we started out with instead of a more modern and costlier rod and reel, as our everyday mode of catching fish? That bamboo stick still caught fish, same as that graphite rod. Why did we change?

I don't have a lot of time to fish, so when I go I want to enjoy myself to the fullest extent possible. And I believe a happy angler is a more successful angler. Is the fellow using a Schooley to put bluegills on the ice any happier than the guy with an $80 stick? Should he be? To me it's about enjoyment, whether I'm catching fish or not.

Do whatever makes you happy when fishing, and I think your productivity will reflect that.

dsqui

« Reply #8 on: Oct 21, 2015, 06:00 PM »
i dont see a on 80 bucks i have spent more than that on junk that is in my garage that was the latest and greatest.  and as far as fishing goes whats really the diffreence between hard water and soft water 80 is alot cheaper then some of my summer rods and ild rather be ice fishing

Greg2ha

• Must fish for fun!
« Reply #9 on: Oct 21, 2015, 08:45 PM »
i dont see a on 80 bucks i have spent more than that on junk that is in my garage that was the latest and greatest.  and as far as fishing goes whats really the diffreence between hard water and soft water 80 is alot cheaper then some of my summer rods and ild rather be ice fishing
That's true, you can drop some serious coin on open water rods. As far as $80 for 13 Fishing ice rods, I'm not very familiar with their rods but have heard good things about them. My ice rods are a mixed bag. I have everthing from Schooleys (Which I love) to St Croix and custom rods. It's all what you want and like to use, cost won't play into as much if it's what you want.

lowaccord66

« Reply #10 on: Oct 22, 2015, 01:34 PM »

A high price point does not always equate to something being high end.  Rangerovers are expensive and are also conplete junk (Rangerover owners please save me from posting the stats that statement was based off of!)

sprkplug

« Reply #11 on: Oct 22, 2015, 02:26 PM »
A high price point does not always equate to something being high end.  Rangerovers are expensive and are also conplete junk (Rangerover owners please save me from posting the stats that statement was based off of!)

So I shouldn't purchase a Rangerover to haul my St. Croix rods?

You can get junk no matter the price. However, I still maintain that cost most often reflects the quality.

iceman260

« Reply #12 on: Oct 22, 2015, 08:54 PM »
You guys had me fooled thought I was on iceshanty. ;D

lowaccord66

« Reply #13 on: Oct 23, 2015, 05:35 AM »
So I shouldn't purchase a Rangerover to haul my St. Croix rods?

You can get junk no matter the price. However, I still maintain that cost most often reflects the quality.

I'm not one to tell someone how to burn their dollars.  ;D

sprkplug

« Reply #14 on: Oct 23, 2015, 06:49 AM »
I'm not one to tell someone how to burn their dollars.  ;D

I appreciate that, and in much the same fashion I'll try not to chastise another for portraying their opinion as fact. ;D

Fishing to me, whether ice or open water, is not about seeing how many I can catch. I no longer measure my success that way. Now it's about having time to get out, and making the most of that time by enjoying myself as much as possible. I won't delve into the debate over rod sensitivity when comparing high end models to less expensive sticks, but I've felt both for myself. I know there's a difference, maybe not so much in every make and model, but certainly in some.

If I can appreciate that difference and it brings me enjoyment while on the water (ice), then it's enhanced my experience and it's a worthwhile addition in my eyes. Maybe my skills aren't honed enough to even utilize the rod to it's fullest potential, but if it makes me smile every time I pick it up, that's all that matters.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.