FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: planer board questions  (Read 2265 times)

htc

planer board questions
« on: Oct 19, 2015, 04:26 PM »
forgive me if this has been answered elsewhere but couldn't find it really hoping to post it here in main forum and get more hits than trolling forum.

don't want to put a mast up so will only be using in line boards.

are strike flags worth the extra money?

how do you detect strike with out them?

thanks, htc

Mac Attack

Re: planer board questions
« Reply #1 on: Oct 19, 2015, 07:56 PM »
Yes, I now believe they are worth the money.
By differences in how the board rides and it often gets pulled farther back and in toward the boat.

I have used in line Church walleye boards for years with success.
But this summer I fished with a friend and he had the yellow boards and they had flags.
His flags pulled down when a fish hit.
Way better IMHO.
So they are on my Xmas list and WILL be on my Church boards next season.

YMMV

Mac

fishlessman

« Reply #2 on: Oct 20, 2015, 12:06 PM »
look into a skijigger, it jigs, has a simple release clip, and ties off a cleat or whatever in your boat with a 25 foot light duty yellow rope. easy to haul in by hand while fishing. more money than an inline but alot less hassle and the jigging adds to the presentation. no mast needed and you can add to the rope with planer line if you want it further out

htc

« Reply #3 on: Oct 20, 2015, 02:27 PM »
wow thanks for replies guys. have answered my ?'s completely. will take the winter to mull over options on which way i'm going to go now just talked wife into letting me order the onix on sale at cabelas for HALF price so be a while be for shipping off more $$$. the skijigger gave me some more ideas.

again thanks, htc  ;D

Knot there yet

« Reply #4 on: Oct 21, 2015, 06:12 AM »
Bud divers no roll overs. Google them there simple. Out and down is better than just out.

Moto21

« Reply #5 on: Oct 23, 2015, 09:31 PM »
Fished for years now with planner boards.  Mast systems and inlines. I currently run church walleye boards with the tattle  flags.  In my opinion the worth every penny.  Helps detect small fish and fouled lures. The biggest difference that no one talks about is in strong side winds. A lot of time when wind is pushing you side ways the upwind board won't be as noticeable when a fish hits because of the boat pulling the board. It keeps the board more parallel to the boat instead of falling back. I've had 30" stripers that I would have never know were on the board if I didn't have the flags because of wind. I would also recommend church or offshore boards. I went with church because when I picked up one of each in the store the church were noticeably liter, but both are quality products. Oh and if you don't have tattle flags you just watch for the board to pull back or better yet pull back and then go under.
~Brad  
Tight Lines Every One

htc

« Reply #6 on: Oct 26, 2015, 04:07 PM »
thanks for more insight gentlemen.

-htc

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.