FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Salmon River vs. Oswego River for Steelhead  (Read 6338 times)

Thor

Salmon River vs. Oswego River for Steelhead
« on: Oct 20, 2015, 10:15 AM »
I took my son on a Salmon River drift boat trip last year for steelhead, and I'm thinking about doing another one this year.  I have never fished the Oswego River, but I see some guides seem to do pretty good there, too.

How would you compare fishing for steelhead on the Salmon River vs. Oswego River?  Is the Salmon River generally considered to be better?  Is the Oswego River not as picturesque?

On last year's drift boat trip, the SR was very crowded with plenty of boats and wade fishermen.  Judging from the pictures I have seen from various websites, it looks like the Oswego might not be good for wading, and so maybe the crowds are less.  However, some of the pictures seem to have more buildings in the background, and so maybe the scenery isn't as good(?).  I could live without the great scenery of the SR every once in a while if the fishing is better on the Oswego.  Maybe I would alternate annual trips from one river to another just to keep it interesting. 

I can probably afford about one guided trip per year, and so I would appreciate your experience and advice so that I don't end up regretting my decision.  Thank you.

Clint S

Re: Salmon River vs. Oswego River for Steelhead
« Reply #1 on: Oct 20, 2015, 05:17 PM »
Oswego is about picturesque as a trip though a city, that's where the river is. There is far less river too. I personally think there may be equal fish per mile in Oswego to the salmon, but many more miles in the SR. Better Browns in Oswego for sure. Oswego also few way more water and if you wade you can get kicked out by the sirens at the drop of a hat for no reason.

striperhound

« Reply #2 on: Oct 20, 2015, 06:24 PM »
I take my son up each year with kevin from catch the drift. Very good fishing and kevin is great.

filetandrelease

« Reply #3 on: Oct 21, 2015, 12:39 AM »
Well brown trout is more productive , far as salmon and steelhead I would take the salmon river , more miles and with a little effort one can have some room to fish , but to each their own ,

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #4 on: Oct 23, 2015, 10:49 AM »
steelies in the SR are slightly bigger on average.   Oswego however, is more consistent.   

peddler

« Reply #5 on: Oct 23, 2015, 11:04 AM »
Check out the Catchthedrift website, no better guide in the state. Hands down # 1.

fishinfred

« Reply #6 on: Oct 23, 2015, 03:57 PM »
Kevin is the best guide on any river, no doubt.  The Oswego River is not pretty, but it can be very productive.  The quality of it's fishing is very dependent on the water level which is controlled by a group who don't like fishermen at best and have led to deaths at worst, so you need to be aware of this and wear all safety gear.  Check USGS water levels for the water level and use all possible safety precautions, especially if you are fishing at the dam...

Thor

« Reply #7 on: Oct 24, 2015, 10:52 PM »
Thanks, everyone.  Because of my work schedule right now, I can't book anything in advance.  I'll keep an eye on Catch the Drift's website and Facebook page for any last minute cancellations that might work for me.  I'll also check in with the SR guides that were recommended to me last year.  It might be a case of whichever guide (and River) has an opening.

big_guy_13021

« Reply #8 on: Oct 26, 2015, 02:29 PM »
I think Oswego is better for steelies

RIVERRAT2

• live to fish
« Reply #9 on: Oct 26, 2015, 05:42 PM »
steelies in the SR are slightly bigger on average.   Oswego however, is more consistent.   
2X that, i fish both,but like oswego in jan better
 ;D ;D ;D
RAT
try to fish 200 days a year,cut back now,age

conesusguy

« Reply #10 on: Oct 28, 2015, 01:48 PM »
Under the Float Guide Service, Jason Hamilton is the guy you want. 

peddler

« Reply #11 on: Oct 29, 2015, 06:08 AM »
Under the Float Guide Service, Jason Hamilton is the guy you want. 

I'm sure Jason is a good guide but nobody and I mean nobody is as good as Kevin Davis! End of story.

Rugburn

• Camp Dog
« Reply #12 on: Oct 29, 2015, 07:21 AM »
Kevin Davis for sure!  X10  ;)

fishinfred

« Reply #13 on: Oct 30, 2015, 06:27 AM »
Kevin is the best guide and company by far!

big_guy_13021

« Reply #14 on: Oct 30, 2015, 12:37 PM »
I will just guide myself but the guides are good guys..

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.