FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Another Battery Subject  (Read 2428 times)

robbi

Another Battery Subject
« on: Oct 25, 2015, 12:04 PM »
I'm running Interstate 27 series batteries in my boat.  I've got a 24 volt Terrova and of course electronics like everyone else.  I'm in an old Lund Pro V 1775.  The batteries work great as far as taking a charge and lasting for a couple days of hard fishing.  Then problem I'm having is the lead plates breaking loose inside the battery.  I bought two batteries four years ago, in two years the plates were broke loose.  I bought two new batteries then and here I am two seasons on them and have broken plates.  I'm not interested in AGM's just because as far as I can tell they're not lasting much longer than normal batteries and getting the cost out of them is not really happening.  What I am looking for is anything that people have done to protect there batteries from the shock and pounding they take.  My starting battery in the back of the boat is never a problem.  I think the location of the two Interstates is a problem.  They are located right near my center console, just forward of center in the boat.  When in rough water and traveling just fast enough to keep the front end up that location pounds as you go across the rollers.  Any tricks out there?  Thinking about a stiff foam under the batteries or something similar.......will it work?

lowaccord66

Re: Another Battery Subject
« Reply #1 on: Oct 26, 2015, 01:14 PM »
I run 2 standard flooded lead acid batteries in the back of my alumacraft and have not had any issues other than them being crappy for marine use.  I am going to spend the 400 something to switch to AGM for next season.

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #2 on: Oct 26, 2015, 02:32 PM »
The AGM's in my boat are 6 years old now, they replaced 10 9 year old optima blue tops.    i have a 93' 17' lund pro sport.

Both are awesome.   Only reason I got the AGM's is 'cause my dad got a set of 2 for free.   They are incredible. They just don't die.

My trolling motor battery compartment is up front.    The first couple years we had the boat, we had the same issue as you, broken plates, especially after hard runs. so we spent the extra $$ on the optimas and never had the problem again.    

Never had any problems with the cranking battery which is in the back.   

htc

« Reply #3 on: Oct 26, 2015, 04:01 PM »
i'd have to agree on agm's cabelas has em 150-200 this time of year.

or if winning the lottery these
http://www.lithiumion-batteries.com/lithium-marine-batteries.php

htc

robbi

« Reply #4 on: Oct 26, 2015, 11:28 PM »
Thanks guys.......not what I wanted to hear.......but maybe what I needed to hear......

lowaccord66

« Reply #5 on: Oct 27, 2015, 08:16 AM »
All boat issues are solved with fist fulls of cash.  I came to accept that when I bought mine! It hasn't dissapointed!

Hunter44

« Reply #6 on: Oct 27, 2015, 11:38 AM »
Amen brother cash

fishlessman

« Reply #7 on: Oct 27, 2015, 12:30 PM »
are you storing them in a warm place in winter and maintaining a charge on them off season, when i didnt do that i changed a battery every season.   this season the batteries on the boat were 2008 and 2009 storing them properly. i do need to change one for next spring

slamminsam

« Reply #8 on: Nov 06, 2015, 09:22 AM »
on the battery subject, how long can I keep my charger on them...I believe my charger say it "floats", but does that mean I can keep it on all winter?

Mac Attack

« Reply #9 on: Nov 06, 2015, 12:04 PM »
on the battery subject, how long can I keep my charger on them...I believe my charger say it "floats", but does that mean I can keep it on all winter?

If it's a "float" type charger you can leave it on.
A float type charger actually has the technology to shut off the charger when the battery reaches full charge.
It will also turn itself back on when needed.

A trickle charger is on constantly.
A trickle charger will cook a battery over time.
It will overheat the battery, warping the internal lead plates.
This causes them to short across to each other when they warp and touch.
Fries the battery in no time.

Make sure your electrolyte level in each cell is up to the level required.
Use only distilled water to replace the electrolyte.

Good luck.
Mac

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.