FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Canada border crossing  (Read 3583 times)

Pequod1

Canada border crossing
« on: Nov 13, 2015, 04:14 AM »
This past Wednesday, a couple of my friends wanted to fish the Canada side of the Niagara. They have the proper license and when they called the Can Pass number, they were asked for either an enhanced driver's license number or a passport number. Is this something new?  They and I have fished there numerous times this summer and basically just had to give the boat id number and a few facts about who we are and what our intentions were and what we had on board.
Has anyone else run into this or did the policy change?

chrony59

Re: Canada border crossing
« Reply #1 on: Nov 13, 2015, 06:25 AM »
Fished Wellsley Island in July and we just had to give boat #'s and answer a few questions ..... No passport or enhanced licenses needed !!!

grady95

« Reply #2 on: Nov 13, 2015, 06:35 AM »
Hasn't happened to me yet up on the St Lawrence Jim.  We are always asked the same questions when we call:
Who is on board?
Boat hull registration number?
Make, model and color of boat?
Why are we there, for how long, where on the river are we going to be?
Do we have more than 10K of valuables or money on board?
Any weapons, drugs or alcohol?
I do think that when you call the 800 number, you get someone in a central dispatch though as opposed to getting someone in a branch near the waterway you are calling about.  Depending on who I get, they are either familiar with The River or ask a lot of questions clearly meant to get themselves oriented to where you are.
Anyway, I hope we are not entering another round of antagonism with our neighbors.  I am of Canadian heritage.  These incidents are unfortunate because each time one is publicized, people seem to automatically want to take up sides and start name calling.  Who knows why they asked for more information on that day?  Maybe they were acting on information that we are not aware of?  Anyway, hopefully, on that day for whatever reason, they were just seeking clarification as opposed to just needling you.  I will definitely post here if I find they are doing the same thing up there during Musky season.
Bob

filetandrelease

« Reply #3 on: Nov 13, 2015, 06:39 AM »

Last few years we have crossed the border showed my enhanced license few simple questions and on our way ,

Pequod1

« Reply #4 on: Nov 13, 2015, 10:04 AM »
No problem by car filet, but Grady had all the typical questions asked. Kind of funny when they ask if you have $10,000 on you.  ;D
 I asked my buddies again, and they assured me they were asked for enhanced or passport #'s.  Just fishing in a boat in the Niagara. I have had only one slight problem with one lady once this summer. She was rather caustic on the phone so I hung up, called 5 min later and got someone else that was no problem. Maybe, my buddies got the wrong person on the wrong day?

filetandrelease

« Reply #5 on: Nov 13, 2015, 04:01 PM »

We crossed with a pick up and a 20' trailer for ice fishing the last time , just the usual questions , no problem

hinkydo

« Reply #6 on: Nov 14, 2015, 03:36 PM »
Because you crossed the border by car, what ever, but by boat it is harder to keep track.
I fish out of Cape Vincent, chartering the questions are like grady95 said.
Also no one on board has not had  a DWI.
If they do don't plan on fishing Canada.

filetandrelease

« Reply #7 on: Nov 16, 2015, 05:42 AM »
Why is it when going with a trailer full of stuff really any different ? , and a  passenger that has had a DWI , is it just because we were on land , just curious  ,  thanks

FISHFORPIKE

• Phil
« Reply #8 on: Nov 16, 2015, 06:08 AM »
I am back and forth on the river quite a bit.  Both in a boat and vehicle.  I absolutely hate the idea that those officers have so much power and can exercise it when they "feel like it".  Most times my crossinga and fishing outings are just plain uneventful; but I've had a few where the officer(s) were just being rediculous.
Member - Black Lake Hooks & Bullets Crowd

filetandrelease

« Reply #9 on: Nov 16, 2015, 06:31 AM »
So your saying Phil it is all in what mood they are in at the time , thanks Phil

lowaccord66

« Reply #10 on: Nov 16, 2015, 10:43 AM »
I am back and forth on the river quite a bit.  Both in a boat and vehicle.  I absolutely hate the idea that those officers have so much power and can exercise it when they "feel like it".  Most times my crossinga and fishing outings are just plain uneventful; but I've had a few where the officer(s) were just being rediculous.

My buddy crosses in his vehicle alot.  Wild swing from uneventful to downright rediculous...it keeps me from crossing myself. 

FISHFORPIKE

• Phil
« Reply #11 on: Nov 16, 2015, 05:23 PM »
So your saying Phil it is all in what mood they are in at the time , thanks Phil

You got it, Freddie. 
Member - Black Lake Hooks & Bullets Crowd

joefish1

« Reply #12 on: Nov 17, 2015, 06:51 AM »
OK guys, I cross the border quit a bit by boat or vehicle.  Since I have gotten NEXUS card it isn't a problem.  By boat ( even at night ) you call Canada give them some info, ( boater ID, where you are fishing and your card number and you are all set.  When you are returning you call the US customs 800 number and report in that you are back in the US.  Done deal.  The  NEXUS card is also good for international travel.

Pequod1

« Reply #13 on: Nov 18, 2015, 05:39 AM »
Just applied for the Nexus. Thanks Joe.

grady95

« Reply #14 on: Nov 18, 2015, 07:45 AM »
Nexus probably helps Jim.  I have not actually used that in the normal course of navigating The River but I guess that is a good suggestion.  Maybe next time, I will inquire whether they want my Nexus info.  My wife and I travel enough to have several levels of security including Global Entry, TSA PreScreen and Nexus.  This week's trip through Hartsfield International en route to a week of visiting our son on an Air Force base should be a little more dicey than usual.  I think crossing The River is going to look like a walk in the park!
Bob

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.