FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: SCENT  (Read 1943 times)

RIVERRAT2

• live to fish
SCENT
« on: Nov 16, 2015, 11:47 AM »
i think that fish attractant works here is why i have read a lot of articles from DR. jones,dr.carr, dr.caprio
and guides-mr poe, mr.halscher,mr. richardson and my own use of it
we can brake it up into two sections good smells and bad smells[for fish]
bad smells
gas--some aerosol gas,nicotine,exhaust fumes,and human scent[-L-serine] deet,sunscreen,others
good smells
food[amino acids],orientation,same species,mate,
now to me i use them  for 3 reasons
1-mask bad smells/taste
2-taste stimulants
3-attractant
must be water soluble, most oil base ones  just cover some bad smells and are  neutral tasting most times
 ;D ;D ;D
RAT
try to fish 200 days a year,cut back now,age

Rugburn

• Camp Dog
Re: SCENT
« Reply #1 on: Nov 16, 2015, 01:37 PM »
I do like to throw an omega 3 gel tab down the ice fishing hole.... :o

Yachtzy

« Reply #2 on: Nov 16, 2015, 01:53 PM »
I'm a believer in scent for attracting fish Rat, here's my experience.

Years ago I drifted into a lilypad field on Winni. I look down and there is a 3lb. LM bass just sitting in a little pocket on the outside edge of the pad field. I knew he wouldn't bite because I'm practically right on top of him, and he wouldn't leave his ambush spot. So I sit there with my fluke dancing it on his back, head, tail, everywhere. He just ignored with with an attitude for about 15 minutes. I take the fluke and smother it with the pink smelly jelly, throw it behind him and instantly he turns 180* and nails it. It kind of made me a believer right there. It may not work all and every time, but I think it can't hurt either. I also like to use it because I smoke a lot, and my wife uses fabric softener and dryer sheets, so I'm trying to mask odors.

Now as far as gasoline, I don't know what to think. Many years ago I watched a video of Doug Hannon open the cover of his gas tank, dip a worm in, cast and catch a nice LM bass more than once(older experienced fish). Some people claim to use WD-40, I never have, but that seems a little odd.

Back in the day, when Berkerly just came out with the power worm, they stunk pretty bad but they worked really good.

RIVERRAT2

• live to fish
« Reply #3 on: Nov 16, 2015, 02:17 PM »
I'm a believer in scent for attracting fish Rat, here's my experience.

Years ago I drifted into a lilypad field on Winni. I look down and there is a 3lb. LM bass just sitting in a little pocket on the outside edge of the pad field. I knew he wouldn't bite because I'm practically right on top of him, and he wouldn't leave his ambush spot. So I sit there with my fluke dancing it on his back, head, tail, everywhere. He just ignored with with an attitude for about 15 minutes. I take the fluke and smother it with the pink smelly jelly, throw it behind him and instantly he turns 180* and nails it. It kind of made me a believer right there. It may not work all and every time, but I think it can't hurt either. I also like to use it because I smoke a lot, and my wife uses fabric softener and dryer sheets, so I'm trying to mask odors.

Now as far as gasoline, I don't know what to think. Many years ago I watched a video of Doug Hannon open the cover of his gas tank, dip a worm in, cast and catch a nice LM bass more than once(older experienced fish). Some people claim to use WD-40, I never have, but that seems a little odd.

Back in the day, when Berkerly just came out with the power worm, they stunk pretty bad but they worked really good.
i donot know both are a petroleum based i donot like the smell with only 15,000 as opposed to some fish having over 650,000 taste/smell buds
have not seen or hear of any studys on that but if it works for someone well[donot fix it if it works] to me it is something that fish are not used to????
also a lot of people think and say that pheromones attract, from what i have read they do if you are a fish and want  a girl fish and others but very little
to do with feeding
 ;D ;D ;D
RAT

RIVERRAT2

• live to fish
« Reply #4 on: Nov 16, 2015, 02:21 PM »
I do like to throw an omega 3 gel tab down the ice fishing hole.... :o
WHAT is omega 3 gel tabs???
i put fish feed[sinking type] down the hole
 ;D ;D ;D
RAT

Jim C.

• Up the creek...and loving it!
« Reply #5 on: Nov 16, 2015, 02:22 PM »
Interesting.

I have mixed up and used a scent made up of cod liver oil and the spice anise with good success on trout/salmon.

RIVERRAT2

• live to fish
« Reply #6 on: Nov 16, 2015, 02:28 PM »
Interesting.

I have mixed up and used a scent made up of cod liver oil and the spice anise with good success on trout/salmon.
[/quote
if it works for you why change, what i put up  is just info that may help someone
 ;D ;D ;D
RAT

RIVERRAT2

• live to fish
« Reply #7 on: Nov 16, 2015, 02:33 PM »
in the one article the guide stated that he would have two different egg cures one for salmon and one for steelheads
 and he  said the fish know the difference????
 ;D ;D ;D
RAT

Rugburn

• Camp Dog
« Reply #8 on: Nov 16, 2015, 05:05 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D
RAT
[/quote

They are a dietary supplement containing fish oil, in a soluble capsule.

RIVERRAT2

• live to fish
« Reply #9 on: Nov 17, 2015, 12:42 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D
RAT
[/quote

They are a dietary supplement containing fish oil, in a soluble capsule.
thank you,
rat

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.