FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Long, Stone and Bass recently...  (Read 797 times)

LundProv

Long, Stone and Bass recently...
« on: Jan 04, 2016, 07:54 AM »
Last Saturday night, it was windy, rainy but not too cold and went to Bass Lake with son around 5 PM.  Casted floating Rapalas with no luck for about 4 hours and even though it was mindless, it was very relaxing.  The wind, the rain, the waves, the discussions with my son as to just how nuts we must be to be doing this made the night worth living.  It would have been nice to get a fish or two but not that night.  The next day after church, I headed over to Stone with my little green boat that I bought at Fetla's 100 years ago it seems and using only a minn kota with some feisty wind and cool temperatures, I managed to catch 11 perch with the largest at 8 inches.  No real pattern and I only fished about 2 hours before putting the boat back on the trailer but again, the wind, the waves, the opportunity to have only mother nature sounds for a couple of hours made it all worth it.  Tonight about 3, I launched at Long lake here in Valpo and had to break thin ice to do that.  The west shore of long along the boat ramp is iced with about 1/4" and it was kind of fun to crack the ice out a ways to open water.  So, I went down by the power lines, again in the Felta's boat and anchored in about 15' of water.  Put down two rods with perch type rigs/minnows looking for crappies with no takers.  Sat there for about 1.5 hours and decided it was time to go home.  Really enjoy being outdoors and at times I wish the fishing was more productive.  The good news was I did not have to clean fish.  I do think it is kind of neat to be on a lake by yourself at this time of the year.  Especially at Stone, where there is a road and people drive by the bank of the lake very slowly.  I can only imagine the thoughts/conversations inside the cars as they see some nuts sitting out on the water... enjoy the outdoors

Boomer

Re: Long, Stone and Bass recently...
« Reply #1 on: Jan 04, 2016, 08:09 AM »
I went to Bass Lake (Starke County) yesterday for a drive around.  You could still get out by boat at the ramp but there is a lot of ice forming. The "Pocket" and "Hillbilly Beach" areas are very iced over. South side had over 100 ft of ice from shore. Lake is not entirely iced over yesterday. Maybe soon we can get out on the hardwater. Be careful though to all.

I wish I just had a little bit of time to be out on the soft water in the boat over the Holidays. No go and very little fishing time. How can somebody be that busy?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.