FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: 2015 in review  (Read 1829 times)

bigr

2015 in review
« on: Feb 04, 2016, 06:19 AM »
From my log here is a few final notes. No. of days fished:132. 30 different locations. 31 different species. 2,273 number of fish. Largest fish: 14" crappie,10 1/2" gil,21"lg bass,18" smally,28"walleye,41 1/2" musky,38" sturgeon. Log books are a great way to review whenever your looking for a place to fish at a certain. The more years you get noted down the greater chance you have at locating fish anytime of the year. On these slow winter days when I'm in between ice and open water I like to look study entrees and plan my next location. Seldom do I get skunked and most years I'm right on top of there migrations. The species category is one that I really like, all come from Indiana waters. Most I've ever caught is 34.  Have a great 2016 and start a log, it will pay off over time. Big R 

izzy65

Re: 2015 in review
« Reply #1 on: Feb 04, 2016, 09:12 AM »
I do one also. Was just looking at it the other day.
Satchmo

Boomer

« Reply #2 on: Feb 04, 2016, 12:56 PM »
BigR - is there a species that you still want to get after all these years? I thought that catching a sturgeon looked pretty cool on your list.

bigr

« Reply #3 on: Feb 04, 2016, 01:24 PM »
Since I've been keeping a log,10 yrs, I have not caught any trout or salmon species. I would to break the 40 species list from Indiana waters so I would need to go after them. Since knocking off the musky from my bucket list I'd like to go after another from the list, brown trout.

MC_angler

« Reply #4 on: Feb 04, 2016, 02:58 PM »
Since I've been keeping a log,10 yrs, I have not caught any trout or salmon species. I would to break the 40 species list from Indiana waters so I would need to go after them. Since knocking off the musky from my bucket list I'd like to go after another from the list, brown trout.

better hit up Portage or Michigan City in the next month or so then! You can knock of coho and steelhead for sure, and brown if you put the time in

kfishdoctor

« Reply #5 on: Feb 04, 2016, 05:43 PM »
I got out 21 times last year which is the most ever for me. Made the best of it but that thing called work eats up most of my time. But I did start a detailed log 2 years ago because the brain doesn't remember things like it used to. Will come in handy this year. Goal is to get out 30 times. Fishing for gills, crappie and whites caught us large and small mouths,wallies, carp, channel cats, yellow bass, northerns, pumpkinseed, rock bass, perch, bull head, sauger, gar, gobies, shad, a cross between a gill and a RB,1 flathead, myself once and a flying fish(a stupid sea gull) BigR your log must be a 400 page book that should need a classified level 1 to read it. The info you have is priceless. Lock and alarm it when done reading!!!! Great year and hope many more to come.

bigr

« Reply #6 on: Feb 05, 2016, 04:18 AM »
A simple spiral note book, This will be last year for this one. The more years you get in it the more you can put things together to increase odds and take the luck out of fishing. Like you writing things down helps with the memory. I'll will it off or donate it to a museum when I'm gone. 

Jig_Head

« Reply #7 on: Feb 05, 2016, 04:51 AM »
Sounds like a great year bigr, some impressive numbers in there. I did a log this year for the first time. I didn't total the fish or days but I have all the dates written down and the fish caught. I'd say I got out 100 times. Where did u get the sturgeon?

bldfrt

« Reply #8 on: Feb 05, 2016, 07:47 AM »
Sounds like a good year. I was surprised to hear sturgeon. Didn't know they were in Indiana that's cool

bigr

« Reply #9 on: Feb 05, 2016, 08:37 AM »
Lots of shovelnose sturgeon in the Wabash where I catch mine. I believe there are three species found in the Wabash and I'm sure the lake sturgeon is in lake Michigan. When you fish the Wabash you really never know what you'll hook.

kfishdoctor

« Reply #10 on: Feb 05, 2016, 06:41 PM »
Lots of shovelnose sturgeon in the Wabash where I catch mine. I believe there are three species found in the Wabash and I'm sure the lake sturgeon is in lake Michigan. When you fish the Wabash you really never know what you'll hook.

I have been diving with Bull, Hammerhead, Blacktip and nurse sharks in a feeding frenzy mode when I spear fished in the keys and it didn't frighten me as much as my first encounter with a Sturgeon in Lake MI. We were perchin and I was sitting dangling my feet over the front of the boat when one of those monsters jumped and hit my foot. He came a good 4 feet out of the water and at the time I didn't even know anything that big lived in the lake. Very impressive fish I thought as I peed my pants. Thought twice about my feet being over a boat anywhere anytime after that. 2nd encounter was diving around the perch nets that were in place around that time looking for an airplane that was last seen on radar around that area(which had a 1 million dollar reward for finding it) and one swam through that net like it wasn't even there. I didnt know what that nets lb rating was but it was not enough to faze him. He knocked around 120 dead or dying perch off and that was my best perchin day ever. I must admit I found out why we never had a good perchin day out of Burns, those nets. The amount of fish they caught was insane. By the way the plane was never found. Still to this day I wonder what made it worth that amount of money to find. The good ole days and memory's of them.

Boomer

« Reply #11 on: Feb 05, 2016, 11:11 PM »
BigR - your best bet for a nice brown from shore is coming up soon. Let me know if you are heading to Michigan City and maybe we can meet up and catch a few browns.  Another choice is to go to Brookville Lake Tailwaters after they stock the browns in May (sort of easy then and usually not of legal size).

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.