FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: how about a panfish jig swap  (Read 17263 times)

perchgypsy

Re: how about a panfish jig swap
« Reply #15 on: Mar 03, 2016, 06:57 AM »
That's what I think is neat about a swap we get to see what other prefer
I sometimes use 3/32 for crappie and perch
And smaller for gills...I use alot of bucktail
and some marabou...then sometimes I use bright and flashy or all natural  ;D
I mainly fish oneida and surrounding areas but when it comes to the swap it's a option to get other ideas and see if these work in your fishing spots
so as your making your jig it's what you prefer and we get a chance to see/ use that   :thumbup_smilie
looks like we should have 10 guys in a week or so

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #16 on: Mar 03, 2016, 07:14 AM »
I'll swap some of these.

Just some patterns I'm playing around with.
Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

perchgypsy

« Reply #17 on: Mar 03, 2016, 07:17 AM »
Very cool rg
smaller ones look like they bug the fish to bite
good work

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #18 on: Mar 03, 2016, 08:05 AM »
Yeah, they look kind of buggy ;D

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

IFF

« Reply #19 on: Mar 03, 2016, 09:30 AM »
Oh man I really like your dark buggy ones Rg,   :clapping: :thumbup_smilie:   I think the fish will think so too!
*¿*  Bud

boondox

« Reply #20 on: Mar 03, 2016, 12:27 PM »
Also what size do most prefer?   I think most of what I have tied now are 1/32 oz and 1/64 oz, but I was going to pick up some 1/80 oz and smaller as well

jaffmac85 that was a good idea it don't matter to me I can fish any size... I got no lead laws were I am at and no gape laws .... some states have a maximum is why I say that they can fish and some have minimum weight that they can fish... if there is a problem with weight or hook size let us know asap so we can accommodate you I use size 6 matzuo sickle hook for pans and size 4 for crappie these hook prevent fish mortality better on my lake  and also the smaller fish cant eat it so it weeds them out automatically... say a fish of like 7 inches and less will prevent them from  eating the bend is so big stuff like crappie can get them in their mouth and large gills of 8 inch plus the reason I like sickle hooks is you are not trying to remove the hook on a small gill in it gill rake with a hook with that standard round bend in a  Aberdeen hooks in the size 6 and smaller...

I got shad dart, ball, and tube s  style heads what would every one prefer? all in 1/32 ounce approx..  the ball heads have a rubber worm collar I can remove so they may weight less also have horse heads with spinner blades if all you fish is crappie it is a good option.. gills not so much cause of the bigger profile shape and size of head.. so let me know what you all like the best all mine are 1/32 ounce on a size 6 sickle if that helps? was thinking doing two style if the swap is small like a shad dart and a tube s style two each for every one  or would every one rather a ball style head?           

perchgypsy

« Reply #21 on: Mar 03, 2016, 01:38 PM »
My plan was trying to get ten guys involved in a swap
guys that make there own jigs
and with that see what they use for panfish
Plan was make 18 jigs and send them to one guy who splits them up because (and I'm not saying this will happen)
A fellow might say I'm in and never send a jig at all....
so if we have a deadline and things work as planned I'd say once the guy who is the sender(I have no problem with being this guy)gets all guys jigs involved divides them up and sends thme out to each guy on my original post...(being first ten) should recieve 18 jigs
but I just planned on making 18 similar jigs to which each guy involved ends up with the same outcome from me
I like sickle hooks ..I like any hooks  ;D
sometimes I like playing hookie and fishing with no hook...Dr suess like or what  ;D
but I was hoping you guys had patterns and wanted to share your go to or maybe something different I think if I tell you what I want I prob can tye it myself you know?

perchgypsy

« Reply #22 on: Mar 03, 2016, 01:39 PM »
And also another reason I was thinking of staying with 18 same jig was so all entries get the same package...easier to split..also be neat to see if the same patterns are hot all over...hey any input is all good...like my original post said nothing  is firm

jeffmac85

« Reply #23 on: Mar 04, 2016, 01:32 AM »
I like the way you've designed it.   Seems like it should work well.  I like the "anything goes" attitude too, adds a little variety to the group.  That way everyone doesn't end up with 18 identical jigs that we could've done ourselves.  Sparks a bit of discussion in the forum after the fact too as I'm sure we will all want to pick each other's brains as to designs and materials used.  I'm going to pick up some more materials this weekend so I should be all set with my 18 early next week if not sooner.  I think this was a great idea

perchgypsy

« Reply #24 on: Mar 04, 2016, 08:34 AM »
Thanks for the input jeffmac85
I hear you there  but my thought process is  guy who is the sender
he gets the jigs now if he gets "one" and another doesn't is he a dink...trying to avoid all the middle stuff
main reason for that is because I want this to be successful because this is hopefully one of many bud
reason I started off with panfish jigs
1 it's the season soon
2 price of shipping these for first time swap here
and me saying I could tye it was more say than being cocky
if I came to you as a tyer and said I want you to tye me 18 3/32 round heads with white  marabou and some purple flash....
and you suprise me with 18 jigs you have proven to work on panfish ...I may have never known what they were...which one you think I could tye faster?
can't put it much plain as that
I do see your idea...and we all prob have good ones ...I was in hopes that this would show us what guys are using in new york..michagan...minnesota...indiana...hoping to reach tyres from all over and see these unique patterns....be it for panfish walleye trout ....
my pattern is one of the most sought after baitfish in oneida I'm having a hard time at my vise each one I tye to even give these away because I have only gave these to family and never seen these on the net or in bait shops
I'm thinking even to ask no pics
I hardly ever fish outside the group I have fished with in my life...family mostly
I'm by far not the best tye on here or around my area...but I catch some fish on my patterns...and also I have never used a book ...self taught
you see this jig and you might even laugh get it wet and let me know if it works outside oneida area  ;)

perchgypsy

« Reply #25 on: Mar 04, 2016, 04:27 PM »
Got to be 5 more tyers on this site that could get in on a swap.  :whistling:

SizeMatters

• Shut up and fish!!
« Reply #26 on: Mar 06, 2016, 06:11 AM »
I'm no master at tying anything but I pour a lot of jigs and I'm sure I can get some feathers fastened on a dozen.  Count me in......
Bigger isn't always better but Size definitely Matters!

perchgypsy

« Reply #27 on: Mar 06, 2016, 06:58 AM »
Sounds good bud...wondering if alot of you guys who pour your own jigs do you try to paint them while they are still hot?
also about how much does it cost per jig to make your own?
Got my 18 done already if we don't have 10 guys I know I use them so no hard feelings  :whistling: :whistling:

boondox

« Reply #28 on: Mar 06, 2016, 02:24 PM »
Sounds good bud...wondering if alot of you guys who pour your own jigs do you try to paint them while they are still hot?
also about how much does it cost per jig to make your own?
Got my 18 done already if we don't have 10 guys I know I use them so no hard feelings  :whistling: :whistling:

no if I pour them then paint them it will burn the paint... only cost about 35cent per pound of lead at 1/32 ounce per jig I can get 500 jig at 1/32 ounce per pound of lead 500 jig hooks cost around $11-$15  for the sickle hook for size 6 it cost $18.60 plus postage... just for lead and hooks that $19 then figure on bottle of powder paint per 500 jigs so $5 so $24 at that point for 500 size 6 jigs  you would get less then 100 on e-bay for $25  I buy my hooks from captain hooks discount hook ware house it is a dot com web site so google it... so I would say 5 cent to pour and paint each jig to answer you questions.... then factor in time it takes to pour etc even at $5 a hour it cost you to do them take 3-4 hours to do 500 poured and another couple hours to paint and cure. but if I do it for my friends and my self it only cost about 5 cent a jig to make... if people I don't know asks me you got to figure in the time it takes ....so you don't get screwed on time and money... 

also got my 18 done who getting these jigs and sending them out?  I want to throw in some thing for the swap miser..  either trout flies or some thing they can use just for being the guy that helped get her going... is it rgfixit who is being the swap miser or some one else?     

rp dog

« Reply #29 on: Mar 06, 2016, 06:22 PM »
[/quote
 You can put me in on this if you need me to. I can throw in some vertical style. Just let me know where and when to send them.
  Rp

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.