FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Where and how can I catch carp?  (Read 6509 times)

perchgypsy

Re: Where and how can I catch carp?
« Reply #15 on: Mar 16, 2016, 04:17 PM »
There is a big tournement near me west of syracuse NY ...alot of guys use these little net sacks and make there own "bait"..fill the little sack full and tie it to the hook...Google search it and you will be suprise how world wide carp fishing is...Sadam Hussain was huge into carp fishing ...he would stock them all over middle east ...I'm no fan of his but read a article on it once

Cfopenwater

« Reply #16 on: Mar 17, 2016, 07:29 PM »
You can catch them on the north end of Canyon Ferry during the summer...just drown a worm

Chasing Lunkers

« Reply #17 on: Mar 18, 2016, 01:16 PM »
You can catch them on the north end of Canyon Ferry during the summer...just drown a worm

Agree 100%
Seem to be everywhere early season

trout hounder

« Reply #18 on: Apr 12, 2016, 04:33 PM »
go to the causway and fish the fishing dock toward the shore use corn on a circle hook and i find to take them and fillet them then put them on a plank and put on the bbq then take off the plank throw away the fish and eat the plank haha sorry had to but i bbq them and then use lemon tomato paste on it

RuralMT

« Reply #19 on: Mar 30, 2017, 03:03 PM »
I realize this post is old, but figured I could offer some additional advice regarding anyone's pursuit of carp, particularly on a fly rod.  First of all, DO IT!!!!  I used to turn my nose up at the thought of catching carp, but after figuring them out, I can testify to how fun the fight truly is. 

When I lived in Eastern Montana, I spent a lot of time fishing the lower Missouri, and in the spring, carp congregated in the slower pools and backwater sloughs off the main channel.  The fish swam in a very predictable circuit, roaming the edge of the slough, entering and prowling a shallow bay (where I stood motionless in the reeds), before returning to the main slough.  I could set a clock to their movements, and accordingly, set about ambushing the pods. 

An important thing to note is that in clearer water, carp are extremely skittish  This is stealth fishing.  The slightest of movements above the water, or worse, sloppy line management can ruin a pod.  Accordingly, when it was out of sight, I cast and positioned a small (size 10 hook or so) crawdad pattern across the bay on a long leader.  When the fish swam back into view, I'd strip the crawdad across the bottom, crossing their path in short strips and pauses, and watching for any mouths to open or heads to turn.  The takes can be subtle, but once the hook is set, brace yourself for a violent run, as even the smallest carp I caught put up a thrilling fight on a 5 wt. rod!

bigsky

« Reply #20 on: Mar 31, 2017, 10:54 AM »
RuralMT, I have been wanting to start targeting carp for a long time. I have only caught one on a fly rod so far and it was a blast. I live near the Missouri also. Are there any flies you would recommend other than a crawdad pattern?

RuralMT

« Reply #21 on: Mar 31, 2017, 01:42 PM »
Bigsky, while a brown crawdad was the most productive pattern for me by far, other patterns certainly produced.  I caught quite a few on a brown wooly bugger and, surprisingly, a yellow and brown minnow pattern I tie for pike.  Also, as others have mentioned, carp are fond of cottonwood seeds and mulberries, so when they were blooming, I'd catch some on such imitations.  They do take dries during a hatch, but they seemed to be rather picky, and you really had to hunt for the ones who were feeding in such a manner.  That's another recommendation I'd make.  Study the fish for a bit before you start casting.  You'll be able to tell which ones are actively feeding, and which ones are basically just hanging out (you'll waste a lot of time casting to these guys, trust me).

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.