FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: 6lb line choices  (Read 5488 times)

centerpinjosh

• live to fish forced to work
6lb line choices
« on: Mar 16, 2016, 10:59 PM »
I normally rig up my trout and river walleye rods with either 6 or 8 lb clear stren.. Any other good options in that lb range that would be good ? I was looking for filler spools of 6 lb clear maxima but can't find any big spools only leader line Any where I might be able to find filler spools of the maxima? I tried fish USA and fish 307 with no luck

big_guy_13021

Re: 6lb line choices
« Reply #1 on: Mar 16, 2016, 11:48 PM »
Basspro has it...but if you want opinion on line I been using p line for years mostly 4 lb test for everything.but they have 6lb test in big spools its awesome line.I use for catfish to..try it u mite like it.I swear by it..price is 7.99 for 300 yrds in 2 and 4 lb test and 18.00 I think for 6lb and up 1500 yrd spools I think..the one in the gray box is the one I use or it has grey on the end of the bigger spools .there's different ones but the grey is best..it soft line also cast like a dream...

boondox

« Reply #2 on: Mar 16, 2016, 11:50 PM »
out of what fish usa carries try suffix or even p line in that order... I have had good luck with suffix line also try if going to another store try ande monofilament  clear mono in like 6 lb test... I use the 20 pound ande when fishing for salmon steel head off the wall for my top lead and 30 or 50 #stren  for the bottom leads  if I fish the Manistee I use 6 pound maxima or even red label segar fluorocarbon for leader and use braid for the main line..   if I cant find ande 6 lb test I use the maxima I have been enjoying more fish hook ups on the fluorocarbon just a head up... if loading your spool and don't want it to sink go with mono if it is leader try fluorocarbon!  

big_guy_13021

« Reply #3 on: Mar 16, 2016, 11:54 PM »
Ande line is stupid strong and cheap to I use straight 8 lb for salmon in Oswego I use it in Oswego cause it's cheap other than p line

boondox

« Reply #4 on: Mar 17, 2016, 12:03 AM »
Ande line is stupid strong and cheap to I use straight 8 lb for salmon in Oswego I use it in Oswego cause it's cheap other than p line
x2 and very cheap like said it same as stren or even trilene big game in strength but is more like xl trilene in casting ability not as stiff as the big game version and has a strong mono base to work with... the problem I have with trilene  in light line is it curly ques when stretched funny  and plain and simple is junk that why I don't recommend it for fishing steel or any thing like crappie it has bad memory In the cold too... 

big_guy_13021

« Reply #5 on: Mar 17, 2016, 12:11 AM »
I find that with ande line also it's brittle and cast like poop p line don't really have a stretch to it..and that's floro carbon 99 percent of my fish are caught on 4 lb p line I have out fished ppl next to me using my jig and I still get fish and they can't  get fish then the what kind of line are you using pops up they stren or trilene they ask what am I doing wrong all I say is its your line

wally13

« Reply #6 on: Mar 17, 2016, 12:50 AM »
vanish

boondox

« Reply #7 on: Mar 17, 2016, 01:59 AM »
my stren is yellower then my ande.. ande is  clear in color compared to a lot of other monofilaments I have right now and that after a year of owning it... I think it cast very well but that just maybe me ? have not had the problem with it being brittle even over last winter using the 20lb in January  I had used... I usually used stren and trilene a lot of the casting is dependent on what type of trilene or stren you bought.. if you by the big game a stiffer line  it does not cast half as far as the xl smooth casting trilene wish is a softer line.... it's like buying regular  stren versus high impact same problems..  that were I see a lot of peoples asking question about mono lines and having problems... p line is a premium line so is suffix and ande... the line I don't like are trilene xl, maxima ultra green, and real thin lines like Berkley magna thin or sensi thin lines  in general... other lines I had problem with was Berkley vanish to brittle or two thin like not strong enough for the pound test rating  in 4 and 6 pound and I lost a lot of fish to it... that is why I go for stren fluro cast or segar red label...but every buddy has there quarks and problems with line there is no way to say that suffix is better then p line cause they each have their quarks or problems...       

big_guy_13021

« Reply #8 on: Mar 17, 2016, 02:56 AM »
I prefer the softer line myself the stiff line just doesn't cast as well p line has line that's stiff also I won't use it its more pricy than ande line to stiff line and 6 lb soft line p line ...next..

big_guy_13021

« Reply #9 on: Mar 17, 2016, 02:57 AM »
Ohhhh vanish throw out the window..my opinion on that[/center]

centerpinjosh

« Reply #10 on: Mar 17, 2016, 06:05 AM »
Thanks for the info guys... Only reason I say maxima is I use p line 8 lb on my Centerpin great line... And maxima 6 mono for a leader I have lifted kings out of the water on this set up lol ... Might look into the Andre line as well

centerpinjosh

« Reply #11 on: Mar 17, 2016, 08:47 AM »
Ended up ordering a 6ft ml lightening rod and some 6 lb p line.. Might as well get a New reel for the whole set up was Thinking a pfluger president ... Thoughts on the reel- set up for trout and river walleye?

greenhornet73

« Reply #12 on: Mar 17, 2016, 04:24 PM »
I have been using 6# P Line in soft green for 2 seasons on one of my walleye rods and it has been awesome.  Soft enough for good castability but really strong and durable against nicks. 

greenhornet73

« Reply #13 on: Mar 17, 2016, 04:34 PM »
PS: I love 2 of my pfleuger presidents and have 4 of them.  The other 2 have gear issues that cause them to be not very smooth and inconsistent with the retrieve so now use them for live bait rods only.  I bought a Lew's Speed Spin and I will tell you now, if you used it you would want one on every rod.  I even got a saltwater model for inshore striper's and blue's.  Great value like the President but so far 100% dependablity rate.

boondox

« Reply #14 on: Mar 18, 2016, 12:23 AM »
Ended up ordering a 6ft ml lightening rod and some 6 lb p line.. Might as well get a New reel for the whole set up was Thinking a pfluger president ... Thoughts on the reel- set up for trout and river walleye?

gander mtn has the Mitchel advocate on sale 14.99 I just bought four of them it the rear drag that has more capacity in other words bigger reel... I think it holds 6 pound and 110 yards  and 8 pound and 80 yards of mono... for the price you cant beat it tell you the truth... the presidents are awesome reel so are trions...and other good brands shimano sahara and penn pursuit and penn fierce... for the price how can you go wrong at $15 ?? I got mine for trout fishing with 6 and 4 lb test...   

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.