FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: 6lb line choices  (Read 5489 times)

perchgypsy

Re: 6lb line choices
« Reply #15 on: Mar 18, 2016, 07:36 AM »
I put shimano on all my rods...from my ice rods to my long rods...have their cheapest model and have stradic..I personally don't know how much a president goes for but shimano symmetry ($99)reel is smooth and sweet on my walleye jigging rod..I never had a hard time casting a cheap rod but when you get to your spot and settle in and your reel is all monkeyed up who cares what kind of rod you have at that point..

SizeMatters

• Shut up and fish!!
« Reply #16 on: Mar 18, 2016, 07:44 AM »
President's are about $59 anywhere you go.  I've got about a dozen of them, no complaints.  Great value.
Bigger isn't always better but Size definitely Matters!

boondox

« Reply #17 on: Mar 20, 2016, 12:24 AM »
pflueger pursuit a $79.99 reel on sale for $39.99 on sale right now at cabelas... worth looking in to?

wally13

« Reply #18 on: Mar 20, 2016, 01:27 AM »
VANISH LINE

centerpinjosh

• live to fish forced to work
« Reply #19 on: Mar 20, 2016, 03:20 AM »
I've tried vanish but it seems to fray a lot not bad line but I hated that every so often I would have to cut off 5 ft of line or more to get rid of the fray

SizeMatters

• Shut up and fish!!
« Reply #20 on: Mar 20, 2016, 08:09 PM »
pflueger pursuit a $79.99 reel on sale for $39.99 on sale right now at cabelas... worth looking in to?
Looks like an upgraded President.  You won't go wrong at half price.....
Bigger isn't always better but Size definitely Matters!

WyoMinFisher

« Reply #21 on: Apr 02, 2016, 11:55 AM »
I got two of these Pursuits at half price, was very pleased!!  Put 6 lb P Line on both!

boondox

« Reply #22 on: Apr 02, 2016, 03:54 PM »
Good to hear some one got those pursuits they were a great deal but no more... if I had more money I would have a few more reels to my collection but as they say money don't grow on trees lol's wish it did with the way I spend lols...

Conundrum

« Reply #23 on: Apr 13, 2016, 05:56 PM »
Looks like an upgraded President.  You won't go wrong at half price.....

That's a great real at a great price. I have loved mine.  I will tell you what real I hated.  I think it was called the gsx. 

As I said on another thread, Spider wired stealth braided, and make sure its stealth braided.  I did not like the regular Spider wire.

boondox

« Reply #24 on: Apr 13, 2016, 07:02 PM »
I got one of those gander gsx reels too there complete junk like said... I just picked up a shimano solstice for 24.99 at Cabela's that is if any one else needs a reels? went back to pick up a pursuit and they were all gone....

perchgypsy

« Reply #25 on: Apr 13, 2016, 08:21 PM »
I just got a shimano symmetry 1000...beautiful little real on my new st croix rod...I wish this rod had about 4 more inches on the butt of it for casting...anyway I mainly got it for my daughters first set up...as for six Pound I just got Berkeley nanofil in 4 lb ...stronger than any 6lb mono I ever had with a diameter of 2lb...cast like a dream...Prob start using this stuff on my ice rods next yr...19$ a spool but I'd say worth it so far,most I ever paid for line

boondox

« Reply #26 on: Apr 13, 2016, 09:25 PM »
shimano are great reels with great drags even in their low end like the ir series I had a ir4000x when I was yonger I landed many salmon on that reel it is the gold standard in spinning reels and it only cost about $15 now I got tons of reels from penn , pflugear,  shimano, diawa , abu Garcia ,even stuff by ross, orvis, old florida salt water reels, tibor ,etc..  but by far the low end if it don't have a good drag that can land fish its junk... or falls apart from being cheaply made its junk... shimano's not the only good reel out there... theirs tons of them just not many of them are cheap!   

perchgypsy

« Reply #27 on: Apr 13, 2016, 10:36 PM »
Nope shimano is the only reel out there  ;D...the rest are just trying to duplicate...I have high end shimano and I like my symmetry best so far.I'd say its their mI'd leven reel..also got CI4 stradic it's light bUT does nothing special for $250....as for pfleugger reels I bought one and got my money worth but the parts were made of a cheap plastic  and my line wore into it and would catch and break 😠...bought another(gold supreme) for a light trout outfit and thing broke first hike into a pond about 2.5 miles in...so now shimano reels are on my ice rods to my casting rods...and now on my kids rods...I also never had a shimano gel up on the ice ...just another reason to love them..your not wrong boondox but I will say sometimes them high end reels just about the same as some mid priced imo

Adkrs

« Reply #28 on: Apr 13, 2016, 11:02 PM »
Nope shimano is the only reel out there  ;D...the rest are just trying to duplicate...I have high end shimano and I like my symmetry best so far.I'd say its their mI'd leven reel..also got CI4 stradic it's light bUT does nothing special for $250....as for pfleugger reels I bought one and got my money worth but the parts were made of a cheap plastic  and my line wore into it and would catch and break 😠...bought another(gold supreme) for a light trout outfit and thing broke first hike into a pond about 2.5 miles in...so now shimano reels are on my ice rods to my casting rods...and now on my kids rods...I also never had a shimano gel up on the ice ...just another reason to love them..your not wrong boondox but I will say sometimes them high end reels just about the same as some mid priced imo

Im a shimano guy too, but if you fish outside of a shanty ive had mine start to freeze up. Stradic fj and sienna. The ci4+ never froze up. Thinking the graphite handles the cold better than the metal reels. Played with a new stradic fk and i liked it, but for trout a sahara is plenty. I used to be a budget fisherman. The more ive tried the higher end gear the more im starting to see the light. It's getting expensive  :-X
Young and dumb. But always learnin'

boondox

« Reply #29 on: Apr 14, 2016, 12:56 AM »
perchgypsy lot of good points there.. I have had problem with my Mitchell 300xe broke the bail arm this last winter.. on my reel the part that holds the bail wire on the reel.. had other problems but similar with abu garcia cardinal reels and those gander gsx reels they made like junk there junk is what happens those were mid priced reels that fell a part.. I am sure the same will happen to a stradic or other higher end reels if fish hard enough all a reel is meant to do is hold line next is to protect light leaders or lines from breaking.. and so on....  so it up to the buyer to test them all out best they can... but your not spending $500 to $1000 on one spinning reel so for $60 buy it stop complaining when it dies throw it away is how the company that sold it  looks at it. they just don't make a good life time spinning reel any more or even in the past to many working parts I think is why.... see if some one will slap a life time warranty on a reel... I know its not going to happen..  like said I think the market is geared more towards the mid end reels like $40 -$80.... were the high end is lacking and needs development or a new design to make the $100+ reels worth buying... there is not much the 40-80 range don't cover see why it needs a new design or a new gimmick to make them sell those high end reels... and we have all fallen for it lol's.... but ya shimano make one of the best if not the best reel for the buck is right...but every one has their opinion so no biggie...           

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.