FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Underwater Spearfishing  (Read 4950 times)

Hunter004

Underwater Spearfishing
« on: Mar 21, 2016, 10:59 PM »
My dive buddy and I are looking to plan a Manitoba freediving/spearfishing trip this summer. Looking for any help/info. We will probably use my 16' flat bottom as our dive boat and Kayaks as our dive floats. Hoping to line up a couple lakes with good visibility and fish (walleye, sauger, pike, channel catfish, and/or lake trout). Any help is appreciated!!
Thanks!

boondox

Re: Underwater Spearfishing
« Reply #1 on: Mar 21, 2016, 11:08 PM »
not  saying I know every thing about Canada but check the fishing regulations if their like Michigan it will be illegal to spear fish  for stuff like walleye and lake trout most of the time spear fishing  is a ocean hobby so keep that in mind... most fresh water guys see divers with speared fish the local law enforcement officers will be called.... most of the time there are times it is legal but I have not seen the regs for Manitoba Canada... just encase thought I would say some thing just encase it is not...   some times native Americans get permits to spear salmon, but it is a very rare thing in Michigan...

Hunter004

Re: Underwater Spearfishing
« Reply #2 on: Mar 23, 2016, 09:03 PM »
I looked into the regs for kicks and found out it's legal.  I wouldn't be doing it if it was illegal.  But thanks for double checking.  I wouldn't be surprised if they still get called.  Most people don't know the spearing laws.  Just like they don't know the laws about how far they should stay away from divers, dive flags, etc (myself included until I got into freediving and underwater spearfishing).  Underwater spearfishing is a lot different than above the water spearing.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.