FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Striper Fishing the Hudon in Albany  (Read 10247 times)

iceman260

Re: Striper Fishing the Hudon in Albany
« Reply #15 on: Apr 04, 2016, 06:37 PM »
When I fish chunk bait I usually catch more fish but they are smaller, larger fish come on whole herring. Anyone else had same results.

ship of fools

« Reply #16 on: Apr 05, 2016, 08:47 AM »
When I fish chunk bait I usually catch more fish but they are smaller, larger fish come on whole herring. Anyone else had same results.

My biggest ever on my boat (42.5 inches) came on chunk .... in 41 degree water and fought like a catfish. My biggest (41.5) came on live.

I have always heard that the big cows are lazy and prefer chunks ....  but they chase live baitfish all year to eat so who knows.

I just think changing cut bait on 3 rods every 10 minutes is a PIA  ....  and with the 10 herring limit your day is over quickly too.

soulstream

« Reply #17 on: Apr 05, 2016, 08:14 PM »
We do a lot of chunk fishing on the lower half of the river with great results

Tom Hannock

« Reply #18 on: Apr 06, 2016, 09:07 AM »
I never cared much for fishing chunk but two years ago it made me a believer.  Did far better anchored with chunk that my normal drifting with live for some reason.  I find I get better hookups on anchor with circle hooks than drifting anyway due to the shallower angle of pull on the line versus the line being straight down on the drift.  With the new slot limits and having to release almost every bass I am always looking for ways to avoid the gut hooks and anchoring up with circle hooks seems to work really well for getting all lip hooks.  Hate having to throw back a bleeder from a gut hook which happens sometimes especially with J-hooks. Most of the stripers in the Hudson all seem to be between 28" and 40" except early in the season when you get a few under 28":-\
Friends don't let friends use tipups.

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #19 on: Apr 06, 2016, 09:40 AM »
a quick update from the DEC guys

they haven't been getting any mature stripers moving upriver in the nets or electrofishing

there are herring in some of the lower river tribs, and they have been there for a few weeks now.

bigredfishing

« Reply #20 on: Apr 06, 2016, 09:44 AM »
 With the new slot limits and having to release almost every bass I am always looking for ways to avoid the gut hooks and anchoring up with circle hooks seems to work really well for getting all lip hooks.  Hate having to throw back a bleeder from a gut hook which happens sometimes especially with J-hooks.

See, thats why I'm not sold on circle hooks, I get just as many hooked in the stomach with them as I do regular hooks (even non-offset cricles).

I always carry long handled pliers now, and its pretty easy to unhook even the deepest hooked striper if you go through the gills and pop the hook out at the bend.   This is easier to do with J hooks.

Tom Hannock

« Reply #21 on: Apr 06, 2016, 10:03 AM »
See, thats why I'm not sold on circle hooks, I get just as many hooked in the stomach with them as I do regular hooks (even non-offset cricles).

I always carry long handled pliers now, and its pretty easy to unhook even the deepest hooked striper if you go through the gills and pop the hook out at the bend.   This is easier to do with J hooks.

I have had some gut hooks with the circles also but mostly on the drift with live.  Drifting with the J hooks I like to set the hook immediately and usually hold the rod and as soon as they grab it, wham set the hook and can generally get them in the mouth before they swallow the herring.  I find if you let them run at all it's often a gut hook with the J's.  I will experiment more this season but I was snelling the up eye circles and getting all lip hooks on anchor with live and chunk which is what I'm looking for.  Just couldn't buy a striper drifting two years ago but was doing great anchored which is the opposite of what I normally do ???  One thing that I finally learned is to just stay home during the full moon no matter the tide as that always seems to be a bad time to catch stripers at least during the daylight when I go.  Maybe there's a full moon night bite but never tried that.  Can't wait for spring turkeys, stripers and walleyes ;D

bigredfishing

« Reply #22 on: Apr 06, 2016, 11:34 AM »
One thing that I finally learned is to just stay home during the full moon no matter the tide as that always seems to be a bad time to catch stripers at least during the daylight when I go.  Maybe there's a full moon night bite but never tried that.

So you piqued my interest, I went back through, our very best trips both day and night have been a few days either side of the full moon, or during the new moon.    No fish during the actual full moon though.   Kinda funny though, looking back all of our really really good trips have fallen within a 5 day calendar period.

Tom Hannock

« Reply #23 on: Apr 06, 2016, 11:48 AM »
So you piqued my interest, I went back through, our very best trips both day and night have been a few days either side of the full moon, or during the new moon.    No fish during the actual full moon though.   Kinda funny though, looking back all of our really really good trips have fallen within a 5 day calendar period.

Yes the day of the full moon or a day or two on either side has always been a total bust even with ideal tides and conditions ???  I don't keep records or logs but I remember that very clearly and won't waste my time going to the river then.  I think you're right about the best trips being very close together.  It seems to be short lived on the Hudson up here and when the bite is really on it's only a handful of days or less and then it's done. 

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #24 on: Apr 06, 2016, 01:17 PM »
I know nothing about the  Hudson  but surf fishing  I know  I have  never gotten a  gut hook with a  circle hook  on a  bass or a  blue ...that's  chunking ,clamming or live lineing  bunker .....

i'm tying a lot of  clouser and  surf candy  right now .... I hope they show on the  beaches  soon  ;D
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

lowaccord66

« Reply #25 on: Apr 06, 2016, 01:35 PM »
I know nothing about the  Hudson  but surf fishing  I know  I have  never gotten a  gut hook with a  circle hook  on a  bass or a  blue ...that's  chunking ,clamming or live lineing  bunker .....

i'm tying a lot of  clouser and  surf candy  right now .... I hope they show on the  beaches  soon  ;D

Conversely I've had 40lbers gut hook themselves on plugs...I found I couldnt hook a bass to save my life with a circle hook!

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #26 on: Apr 06, 2016, 02:21 PM »
you don't hook them that's the secret  ;D
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

ship of fools

« Reply #27 on: Apr 06, 2016, 02:49 PM »
So you piqued my interest, I went back through, our very best trips both day and night have been a few days either side of the full moon, or during the new moon.    No fish during the actual full moon though.   Kinda funny though, looking back all of our really really good trips have fallen within a 5 day calendar period.

Ever read the Hungry Ocean by Linda Greenlaw?  She was the Captain of the Hannah Boden which was the sister ship to the Andrea Gail that went down in the Perfect Storm.

She chronicles a swordfish trip and stated something along the lines of 50% plus of her fish over a 20 day trip were caught in a 5 day stretch before and after the full moon but there is no bite to speak of the day before, the day of and the day after the full moon. She also reveals the old fisherman's secret of wearing black underwear because you can't see the stains  :o

Tuna supposedly feed heavy on the new moon. Although i have had lights out days fishing for yellowfin out in the canyon on the day of the full moon.

Catch em whenever you get the opportunity to fish i suppose  8)

lowaccord66

« Reply #28 on: Apr 06, 2016, 02:53 PM »
you don't hook them that's the secret  ;D

I know....I have a hook setting addiction I cant get over  ;D.

Ya know "bow to the cow" didnt come about from the use of circles!!!!  Use of a solid 8/0 octopus coupled with a proficient hook set will suffice.  Also if you do gut hook one it is pretty easy with the right tools to turn the hook put with minimal damage!  

If you use circles and do well my hat is off to you...  

ship of fools

« Reply #29 on: Apr 06, 2016, 02:57 PM »
I know....I have a hook setting addiction I cant get over  ;D.

Way too funny ..... i was going to post "circle hooks my ***" .....  i LOVE to set the hook when i fish   ;D

But figured i might start some trouble if i did 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.