FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Striper Fishing the Hudon in Albany  (Read 10250 times)

lowaccord66

Re: Striper Fishing the Hudon in Albany
« Reply #30 on: Apr 06, 2016, 03:58 PM »
Way too funny ..... i was going to post "circle hooks my ***" .....  i LOVE to set the hook when i fish   ;D

But figured i might start some trouble if i did 

I've tried circles in every facet of my fishing, and scratched them off my list for all applications.   Now this could be due to user error but I suggest they are just not right for some applications.  Stripers being one of them.  Big tough mouth, you need to drive that point home!

tfinn4

« Reply #31 on: Apr 06, 2016, 06:09 PM »
I have always fished circle hooks for stripers. Only been fishing them for about 6 years but I can say I have never lost one that I had a run on. I also only use baitrunner which I think are a bonus feature. Let them run pull out some line ahead of them, flip that switch and wait for them to catch up and hook themself. Also never had a hook get swallowed. Always got a mouth corner shot. Might just be some irish luck but I'm just saying.

Somers

« Reply #32 on: Apr 13, 2016, 09:47 AM »
Anyone aware of any B&Ts or marinas selling fresh herring in the Putnam/Dutchess or Rockland/Orange county areas?  All but one of the Northern Westchester B&Ts don't carry and the one that does is spotty at best and hasn't had any yet this year.

Tired of losing worms to cats and perch.  Thanks in advance.

lowaccord66

« Reply #33 on: Apr 13, 2016, 12:43 PM »
Anyone aware of any B&Ts or marinas selling fresh herring in the Putnam/Dutchess or Rockland/Orange county areas?  All but one of the Northern Westchester B&Ts don't carry and the one that does is spotty at best and hasn't had any yet this year.

Tired of losing worms to cats and perch.  Thanks in advance.

You need cheese cloth and some small rubber bands.  Cut a 3x3" or so square of the cheese cloth, but 2 worms in, bundle them up, and seal the top with a small rubber band.  Smash it a couple of times to get the juices flowing, and hook the bundle below the rubber band through the cheese cloth.  You will catch bass without dealing with most of not all of the bycatch.  Good luck!

Somers

« Reply #34 on: Apr 14, 2016, 09:48 AM »
Thanks for the tip.  That is new to me.

What I should have really said was I'm tired of paying $12.00 a dozen for bloods and would rather soak chunks (my preferred bait) and save some money on bait, but cannot find any herring for sale.

I'm going to expand my search area and make some calls.

LooseEye90

« Reply #35 on: Apr 19, 2016, 07:46 AM »
Anyone been out? Sounds like things are starting to turn on. Hope I can get out Monday and Tuesday next week with the boat after a shakedown trip his weekend. 

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #36 on: Apr 19, 2016, 07:47 AM »
bait is tough, but theres fish around.

step2jimi

« Reply #37 on: Apr 19, 2016, 07:54 AM »
fished all day yesterday. started south and bait was in the usual spots but still hard to get. After a bait tank problem and all the herring we had dieing off we ended in albany fishing chunk for most of the afternoon. Nothing on chunck, got a couple mroe live baits and had a few runs on them landing one 34 inch fish. The guy whos boat i was on was 2 for 3 on sunday. They are diffinitly here but baits not excatly easy right now.

LooseEye90

« Reply #38 on: Apr 19, 2016, 08:43 AM »
Thanks for the update. Hopefully the weather cooperates Monday / Tuesday and the bait is in thicker by then. It will be nice to get the boat out! 8) Likely launching @ HH so if anyone else is out let me know, I'll have the VHF on.

Tom Hannock

« Reply #39 on: Apr 19, 2016, 09:39 AM »
Be interesting to see if that full moon on Friday shuts down what little striper action there is now for a couple days. 
Friends don't let friends use tipups.

lowaccord66

« Reply #40 on: Apr 19, 2016, 09:42 AM »
Be interesting to see if that full moon on Friday shuts down what little striper action there is now for a couple days. 

It certainly could shut things down if your fishing at night.

Tom Hannock

« Reply #41 on: Apr 19, 2016, 10:06 AM »
It certainly could shut things down if your fishing at night.

Never tried night fishing for them but during the day it usually shuts the striper bite down on the Hudson for a couple days in my experience. 

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #42 on: Apr 19, 2016, 10:22 AM »
Never tried night fishing for them

is it 'cause their eyes don't glow?  ;D ;)

Tom Hannock

« Reply #43 on: Apr 19, 2016, 10:38 AM »
is it 'cause their eyes don't glow?  ;D ;)

Can't say I've shined any stripers but haven't been out there to try ;D 

lowaccord66

« Reply #44 on: Apr 19, 2016, 10:51 AM »
Never tried night fishing for them but during the day it usually shuts the striper bite down on the Hudson for a couple days in my experience.  

I know the Hudson fishery is a bit different than others but I gotta say Tom, being a striper addict many times over.  Its all about the night bite ;)

Lance they glow in the river don't they  :P

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.