FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Fish i.d.  (Read 5381 times)

lowaccord66

Re: Fish i.d.
« Reply #15 on: Apr 14, 2016, 03:52 PM »
Im using them for cats, but i can tell ya where we found them   ;D

Tongue in cheek!  I get them around me too, never thought to use them for cats because the pike love them!

Adkrs

« Reply #16 on: Apr 14, 2016, 07:48 PM »
I catch pike and bowfin while fishing for channys with creek chubs(horned pout) so i can only imagine fallfish work well too. I have baitrunners now so ill have to try them live rather than chunked
Young and dumb. But always learnin'

ClearCreek

« Reply #17 on: Apr 14, 2016, 08:27 PM »
Do you have creek chubs in your part of the county?  If so, it could be a creek chub.

ClearCreek

IFF

« Reply #18 on: Apr 15, 2016, 05:50 AM »
Ok, I sent the picture to one of our Bio's and this is what he came back with

Here are some of the details that I was needing to look for:

NO lateral compression: rules out golden shiner, rudd, roach.
Anal fin has 8 to 9 rays: rules out golden shiner, rudd, roach.
Barbel appears to be above the corner of the lip and inset: character of only creek chub, lake chub has the barbel at the corner of the mouth.
Small eye to head length: rules out all of the eastern minnows except creek chub.
47 Lateral line scales (yes, I counted them. It's what I do for work too).

My main concern was lake chub, even though I was pretty certain on creek chub. I still don't know where this specimen was collected, but I'd be pretty certain on it being a Semotilus species if it wasn't collected in Colorado. Assuming IFF isn't fishing out of state, it would have to be Semotilus atromaculatus, creek chub.
*¿*  Bud

Mac Attack

« Reply #19 on: Apr 15, 2016, 06:05 AM »
So it's a fallfish.

8)

big_guy_13021

« Reply #20 on: Apr 15, 2016, 06:28 AM »
Creek chub that's what I call them..we also have the ones with little nubs on there nose hornaday pike don't like them to much but chubs oh boy pike on

Mac Attack

« Reply #21 on: Apr 15, 2016, 07:31 AM »
Can't keep em lit

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #22 on: Apr 15, 2016, 08:09 AM »
Im using them for cats, but i can tell ya where we found them   ;D

I know those fallfish are all over the boquet, ausable and saranac (caught 'em up to 20" in the saranac)

and they do work great for cats  ;)

Adkrs

« Reply #23 on: Apr 15, 2016, 03:14 PM »

I know those fallfish are all over the boquet, ausable and saranac (caught 'em up to 20" in the saranac)

and they do work great for cats  ;)

Good to know. It came out of one of those 3  ;) 20" is a hog! Still looking for a good spot for cats. Everybody ive talked to says the south end of the lake. Gotta find a good public access spot

Fish Farmer

« Reply #24 on: Apr 15, 2016, 04:19 PM »
I'm saying it's a fallfish instead of a creek chub. Based on illustrations in the fish atlas I have, creek chubs mouths extend well under the eye while the fallfish don't. The fins on a creek chub are rounder while the fallfish are pointy. I've kept creek chub in aquariums and the coloration was much different, they had a noticeable lateral stripe and spot at the base of the tail which this fish does not.

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #25 on: Apr 18, 2016, 09:18 AM »
Good to know. It came out of one of those 3  ;) 20" is a hog! Still looking for a good spot for cats. Everybody ive talked to says the south end of the lake. Gotta find a good public access spot

not sure if its closer for you, but i was told the mouth of the Chazy River has some good cats too.

Adkrs

« Reply #26 on: Apr 18, 2016, 12:05 PM »
not sure if its closer for you, but i was told the mouth of the Chazy River has some good cats too.

I usually fish creek mouths. Havent been up that far yet. Maybe ill take a drive. There's always the vt side too. I might grab a vt license

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.