FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Gull Lake, 2016  (Read 3555 times)

smeltbuster

Gull Lake, 2016
« on: Apr 16, 2016, 12:33 PM »
This thread isn't as popular on here, as it is on the "Shanty", but I will still share info about conditions  & other stuff. We finally had our 1st. trolling trip of the year ,this morning. Water temp is 46 degrees. We marked very few fish in the deep water, & had no hits. Trolled shallow water on the north end, 6' -12'  depths & no hits & seen very few fish. I was finally able to try my new Humminbird Helix 5 fishfinder/ GPS combo unit. It is a fantastic unit that is easy to use. I did not get the DI, or SI model , don't really need it for what I do. More reports to come .
Yes I am here, but I would rather be on the Kenai river,fishing for reds!

smeltbuster

Re: Gull Lake, 2016
« Reply #1 on: Apr 23, 2016, 07:56 PM »
Another slow morning of trolling, w/ no hits. Did manage to catch & release 1  very nice Crappie .  Water temp is a Toasty 50.4 degrees.

smeltbuster

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2016, 07:17 PM »
Got out this past Friday morning & fished by myself, not just on my boat, but pretty much had the whole lake to myself !  Seen 1 other boat . water temp was 51.9 degrees. Caught quite a few really nice Pre-spawn Crappies. I was using Pinkie jigs, w/ perch minnows, under a slip bobber, in about 10' of water. Lots of 13" & bigger fish. All were released, as I don't care for eating them, but love fishing for them ! Cant fish the next 2 week-ends, going on a vacation out west, w/ the wifer ! Hoping to maybe wet a line in a Wyoming trout stream. My next fishing report wont be till around the 20th. or 21st.   .  Kind of bummed out about missing some of the BEST Crappie fishing of the year. This week-end & next  week-end , should be pretty good !

Zktaylor

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2016, 07:44 PM »
Congrats on the specs! I've never had any luck finding prespawn/spawning crappie. Never have an issue trolling during summer though. I'd love to get on a good spawn bite. You ever try smeltin during open water? I've been thinking about heading up there in the next couple weeks to try. I just bought a 100' anchor rope and was thinking I'd anchor near the deepest part and see what happens. My mom said her ex has been out there but she didnt say if he was having any luck.

smeltbuster

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2016, 08:45 AM »
Been on vacation ,out west, for the past 9 days, so I have missed some good fishing. Crappies should be on the beds right now. As for open water smelt, we tried it right after ice out this year & did not do well. You need a night with no wind at all. Also, during most of the open water season, we usually mark big clouds of bait (possibly smelt), consistently in 70'-80' FOW. They are usually near the bottom, but do move up higher , during the night. I do have a friend that catches them during the summer, but he says that it is not near as good as winter time. He also says that they very soft & you need to ice them as soon as you catch them. You will need at least 2 anchors to hold your boat in its place. 1 in front, 1 in back.

taxid

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2016, 09:37 AM »
Does Gull have anymore Landlocked Salmon?
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

smeltbuster

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2016, 11:52 AM »
No salmon. There are Lakers & Browns in there, & Maybe some Rainbows, I have caught the Lakers & browns, in the past 2 yrs., but it has been a LONG time since we boated any bows. Lots of big Bass & eater size pike. 

taxid

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2016, 02:21 PM »
No salmon. There are Lakers & Browns in there, & Maybe some Rainbows, I have caught the Lakers & browns, in the past 2 yrs., but it has been a LONG time since we boated any bows. Lots of big Bass & eater size pike. 

What size are you talking for the lakers and browns? Does the lake have cold water forage base as in smelt or cisco?
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

smeltbuster

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2016, 06:31 PM »
All the lakers we have caught in the past 3 yrs. have been between 8- 15 lbs., browns around 3-5 lbs. , & yes there is smelt in Gull & that is mostly what we find in the Lakers stomachs. We have found small bluegills too ! The pike & bass, also feed on the smelt, & during the summer, it is not uncommon to catch them on riggers, as deep as 70' down. Most of the pike & bass we catch, are 35'- 50' down. same w/ the lakers. The state does plant lakers & I am hoping we can catch some smaller ones. The ones we have caught, have been brood stock released fish, most are 25"-31" long.

taxid

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2016, 08:03 PM »
All the lakers we have caught in the past 3 yrs. have been between 8- 15 lbs., browns around 3-5 lbs. , & yes there is smelt in Gull & that is mostly what we find in the Lakers stomachs. We have found small bluegills too ! The pike & bass, also feed on the smelt, & during the summer, it is not uncommon to catch them on riggers, as deep as 70' down. Most of the pike & bass we catch, are 35'- 50' down. same w/ the lakers. The state does plant lakers & I am hoping we can catch some smaller ones. The ones we have caught, have been brood stock released fish, most are 25"-31" long.

Thanks for the information. May have to go up there some day.

As far as lakers you don't want too many even in a lake the size of Gull. They have been know to overgraze the smelt. They wiped out the smelt and cisco in a lake down here.

smeltbuster

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2016, 10:22 AM »
Caught a few really nice Crappies this morning. They are on the beds. Decided to shallow water troll, back to the launch & picked up a 15 incher ! It hit a tiny blue/ silver Rapala, on a flatline.  Water temp is 58 degrees. My buddy could not believe ,that I threw it back. Waiting for at least a 16 incher to go on the wall .

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.