FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Trolling for trout  (Read 6848 times)

ftwwalleye

Trolling for trout
« on: Apr 18, 2016, 11:02 AM »
Bldfrt and i got out to try out my newly remodeled semi v yesterday. We trolled a lake for trout. I hadn't fished them this way before. We had 2 hit a small crank bait and one on spinner. It was fun to watch fish 50 yds back jump when they got hooked. Anyone have any advice for good trolling methods? We had some split shots on to get down deeper. Should I add some small amount of lead core to go deeper? Def a fun way to fish and frees up your hands for more. Eer time

ship of fools

Re: Trolling for trout
« Reply #1 on: Apr 18, 2016, 11:42 AM »
Bldfrt and i got out to try out my newly remodeled semi v yesterday. We trolled a lake for trout. I hadn't fished them this way before. We had 2 hit a small crank bait and one on spinner. It was fun to watch fish 50 yds back jump when they got hooked. Anyone have any advice for good trolling methods? We had some split shots on to get down deeper. Should I add some small amount of lead core to go deeper? Def a fun way to fish and frees up your hands for more. Eer time

I bought a little clamp on downrigger and it works like a charm  ;D   I run one down 28 feet or so use a stacker and run another 18 feet down. I troll stick baits primarily and always start at dawn since the bite dies off once 9 or 10 AM roll around.

gundogwanted

« Reply #2 on: Apr 18, 2016, 11:49 AM »
I use these to get the lure down some, they work pretty good.
 http://www.offshoretackle.com/resettable_diving_weights.html
Equal Billing: Crankbait degrees; Typically, the narrower the bill, the tighter the wiggle; the wider the bill, the wider the wobble.

gundogwanted

« Reply #3 on: Apr 18, 2016, 11:50 AM »
I bought a little clamp on downrigger and it works like a charm  ;D   I run one down 28 feet or so use a stacker and run another 18 feet down. I troll stick baits primarily and always start at dawn since the bite dies off once 9 or 10 AM roll around.

What brand do you have??
Equal Billing: Crankbait degrees; Typically, the narrower the bill, the tighter the wiggle; the wider the bill, the wider the wobble.

Boomer

« Reply #4 on: Apr 18, 2016, 12:39 PM »
A bait shop near Monroe Reservoir sells these "poor man's downriggers". Basically a really heavy barrel sinker on a long steel leader. I used it to get my spoons deep enough to troll for wipers there. I am sure you could make your own and have several different weights for different depths.

(I assume you are not trolling the "big lake" for these trout.)

ship of fools

« Reply #5 on: Apr 18, 2016, 08:02 PM »
What brand do you have??

Cannon Mini Troll - they run around $70

Cabelas sells one about that price by a brand named Attwood.

I've been happy with and and it has led to many browns and rainbows  ;D

staubsaugen

« Reply #6 on: Apr 18, 2016, 08:07 PM »
I trolled this spring with j-5 rapalas in gold, silver, and perch with no added weight.  until about 3 weeks ago i was catching holdover trout in 2 to 15 fow.  since then i have only been catching newly stocked trout. i think i will try this same method again in fall when i know the trout will move shallow again.
definitely interested in the suggestions for trolling deep for summer trout.

boondox

« Reply #7 on: Apr 19, 2016, 12:46 AM »
planner board get some for sure get the lure as far away form the boat as you can  run like 50-60 foot back depending on how deep the lake is and then run the planner board 100 foot  away form the boat... run all on line counter reels  if you have to go to deep diving lures walleye diver , hot n tots, even deep diving rapala's , or stuff like matzuo zander minnows in a deep diver.. there is tons of lures out there fishusa.com  has tons of them... also go by what is in the lake not a 4 inch stick bait when there is 2.5 inch minnows in the lake . match the hatch as they say...could try some light snap weights  or even some three ways and light 1/8 ounce or 1/4 ounce bell sinkers to get them down faster  my choice would be use some live bait and fish them if you can single small size 12 black bird saber tooth  hook... hooked in a minnow nose and trolled like a lure use the three way and a sinker to get it down? oh ya if taking up trolling check out the precision trolling app for the lures you got or might want.... just cause a sinking rapala's with the small bill dive 4-5 feet at 100 feet back does not mean it wont go deeper.. at 150 or 200 feet back all the precision trolling app gives is a general idea of depth  it not exact but very close...cause it is all speed dependent....also remember if it say 150 for were you are you run 150 foot from the planer boards then another 100 foot back...and run as many rods as you can either get down east rod holder or tite loc's each good rod holders...depending on type of boat and mounting ability...           

indianahooker

« Reply #8 on: Apr 19, 2016, 06:06 AM »
come summer, we set up under lights and limit out almost every trip.  slip bobbers and crawlers. it just dont get easier than that.

ship of fools

« Reply #9 on: Apr 19, 2016, 07:19 AM »
come summer, we set up under lights and limit out almost every trip.  slip bobbers and crawlers. it just dont get easier than that.

X2   .....  corn works too.

I had a sabiki rig left on one of my rods from striper season one year and had 5 baits on one rod ... 3 hooks with corn and 2 with worms    ;D

taxid

« Reply #10 on: Apr 19, 2016, 08:26 AM »
Is anyone catching any of the browns that were planted in Oliver last year in addition to the rainbows?

I haven't been up there for a while and won't until I get my downrigger mounts back up and a new 4 cycle motor. My downriggers used to be mounted to storage bunks on each side but it got too cramped so I tore them out.

A killer for holdovers that are more selective, is a small chrome dodger followed by a sewn on shiner. You'll get big trout on that while the hardware gets zip.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

taxid

« Reply #11 on: Apr 19, 2016, 08:28 AM »
X2   .....  corn works too.

I had a sabiki rig left on one of my rods from striper season one year and had 5 baits on one rod ... 3 hooks with corn and 2 with worms    ;D

Just don't get carried away if you chum with corn. I've seen what corn does on the bottom and it's not pretty with fungus and mold.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

staubsaugen

« Reply #12 on: Apr 19, 2016, 11:13 AM »
i have had good success this way in morning and evening too.  what depth do you fish in and what depth do you set your slip bobbers?  do you ever catch the browns? caught one brown two years ago 17 1/2"-- sadly, too small to keep.

ftwwalleye

« Reply #13 on: Apr 21, 2016, 04:25 PM »
Ji made a homemade down rigger. Also ordered some dipsy divers. Let's see how I do trolling next time

indianahooker

« Reply #14 on: Apr 21, 2016, 08:21 PM »
staubsaugen,
  yes we have caught several browns along with the bows.  hog gills also roam the abyss!  depth depends on the fish at the time.  usually set baits 15-30ft down, sometimes over 100fow.  you must have been at oliver, having to release the brown.  i think the biggest brown has been low 20" range.  biggest bow was a 9.7# male.  i try to be gentile with the baby browns and bows and release them.  longing for the good ol days, when the cooler held 30 fish, all from 18-28"!  we will probably never see those numbers again.  :(

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.