FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: boat question  (Read 3157 times)

trout hounder

boat question
« on: Apr 19, 2016, 01:42 PM »
i need help with my trolling motor
 ???

Mac Attack

Re: boat question
« Reply #1 on: Apr 19, 2016, 01:48 PM »
and.........?

JDK

« Reply #2 on: Apr 19, 2016, 02:08 PM »
Red is positive, black negative.

# SAND

trout hounder

« Reply #3 on: Apr 19, 2016, 03:03 PM »
i know that the thing is that when i run it it runs so long than dies and wont turn it has a brand new foot pedal and it pops the fuse so could it be not enough power or a short

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #4 on: Apr 19, 2016, 03:19 PM »
More details... what year make and model of said trolling motor? My 2004 Minn Kota PD50 I just had to buy a new circuit board for. It was doing the same thing you describe. I thought it was the pedal too, turns out its definitely the main board.

trout hounder

« Reply #5 on: Apr 19, 2016, 11:02 PM »
idk the year and its a power drive 2 55 thrust

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #6 on: Apr 20, 2016, 02:42 PM »

trout hounder

« Reply #7 on: Apr 20, 2016, 06:34 PM »
thanks man

Mac Attack

« Reply #8 on: Apr 20, 2016, 06:41 PM »
Yea, I totally agree with Jethro.
Sometimes you just have to have someone qualified look at something.
Especially something like an electric trolling motor.
They aren't cheap as you know.
And trying something could fry it.
Good luck and keep us posted on how you make out.

Mac

boondox

« Reply #9 on: Apr 21, 2016, 01:14 PM »
i know that the thing is that when i run it it runs so long than dies and wont turn it has a brand new foot pedal and it pops the fuse so could it be not enough power or a short

you will need a battery bank to run them that long like 5 batteries in parallel  see the battery is drained to much and the voltage dropped so much that the amprage is up so it blew the fuse  the voltage and amperage is like this if the amp stay steady at say 12 volt you will only drawl the amps needed .. but when the voltage drop you drawl more amprage blowing fuses.. so if you get 5-6 batteries you may be able to troll for a hour or three on that motor...  with out blowing fuses... the fuse is to protect the motor remember that it is doing it job when the fuse blows  calculate what the motor dwrals in amps like  if it draws say 12 amps a hour and you got a 56 amp hour  battery dervided the 56 by 12 amps gives you got 4.5 hours of use see the point there.. then take and calculate how many hours of batteries you need?? then add them in parallel for what you need...as soon as you replace that fuse and charge the battery it works again right??

icejohn

• God, Family.......Fishing.
« Reply #10 on: Apr 21, 2016, 11:19 PM »
If it's a12vdc unit then you shouldn't blow fuses no matter how low the voltage gets.....i had a power drive (1st generation) worked great, but when battery got low the motor just turned slower....after several yrs. i too had to replace the crcuit board.....believe around 50-60$.
icejohn
take a kid hunting and fishing, it's a lot better than leaving them on the streets!!

Mac Attack

« Reply #11 on: Apr 22, 2016, 06:26 AM »
If it's a12vdc unit then you shouldn't blow fuses no matter how low the voltage gets...

This is true even with 24 and 36 volt motors.
They are designed for the eventual drop in voltage as the motor uses up all of the current available in the batteries.
The circuit board is supposed to sense the lower voltage, and resulting higher current, and open the circuit when things get out of range.

As stated earlier, take it to a pro.
Good luck.

Mac

boondox

« Reply #12 on: Apr 22, 2016, 10:50 AM »
just like most motor name plates they give a voltage....like 10 volts to 20 volts for a 12 volt motor...depending on what you got same with drills you run them to long into  a very low voltage  like 9 volts or at locked rotor will burn it up...when the lowest there rated for is 10 volts... that and  locked rotor is when the drill jams on some thing like say ice and the drill is over used  by applying trigger to it trying to get it to move when it is truly locked and wont move.. this is know to weaken the shielding on motors or the insulation on the motor windings  each  is know to do....ya the circuit board is to stop It from running if at to low of voltage...  but it did not and the fuse blew before any thing else like the motor maybe from repeated use??? like said take it to a service center get it repaired then make sure you got enough capacity to the battery bank for the run time you need... 

by the way voltage and amperage are proportional  to each other says watts law... a drop in voltage gives a raise in amperage like volts time amps equals watts...  think of it that way a motor is rated in watts or horse power which is the amount of work it can do.. right??  so if your voltage goes down    to say 9 volts from say 12 volts the amperage has to go up to keep it at say 1000 watts  so at 9 volts you got 111.1111 amps now at 12 volts you got 83.33333 see the point all fuses are rated in amps once you pass that threshold the fuse is rated at from the amps low to high is when the fuse blows...the reason it get so high it has to maintain 1000 watts at 9 volts that creates heat and the shielding on the motor melts.... what I said is true look it up ....

Mac Attack

« Reply #13 on: Apr 22, 2016, 11:04 AM »
just like most motor name plates they give a voltage....like 10 volts to 20 volts for a 12 volt motor...depending on what you got same with drills you run them to long into  a very low voltage  like 9 volts or at locked rotor will burn it up...w

This is incorrect.

Will happen with AC, but not DC.

boondox

« Reply #14 on: Apr 22, 2016, 11:09 AM »
This is incorrect.

Will happen with AC, but not DC.

what's incorrect about it you failed to state facts lol's ??

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.