FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: side finder  (Read 2922 times)

fishlessman

side finder
« on: Apr 20, 2016, 03:23 PM »
does anyone make sidefinder fish finders to look towards shore, under docks etc. all im seeing is side imaging whick on my lowrance is useless in shallower waters. dad wants to set up for bass fishing

appleye

Re: side finder
« Reply #1 on: Apr 20, 2016, 03:48 PM »
I think all of the major manufactures make side finding units. Going to have to spend a little more and have room for another transducer. Have you tried a camera? If the water is clear enough it should work as well and not as expensive.

tjacob

« Reply #2 on: Apr 20, 2016, 04:40 PM »
Hummingbird makes a 360 transducer for high end units.

fishlessman

« Reply #3 on: Apr 21, 2016, 07:23 AM »
Hummingbird makes a 360 transducer for high end units.

those are pretty up on price ;D i did see these but i dont think he wants to pay more than 500 total.

fishlessman

« Reply #4 on: Apr 21, 2016, 07:26 AM »
I think all of the major manufactures make side finding units. Going to have to spend a little more and have room for another transducer. Have you tried a camera? If the water is clear enough it should work as well and not as expensive.

all im seeing is side imaging which has a wide cone angle but still shoots down. they used to sell transducers that shot the beam outward so you could see 50 feet or so out to the left or right

williev18

« Reply #6 on: Apr 21, 2016, 07:22 PM »
I'm not sure what there calling it but garmin is making a front imaging sonar. I'm sure if you checked out there site you could find it, but It's bound to be over $500.

fishlessman

« Reply #7 on: Apr 22, 2016, 10:22 AM »
looks like its going to be a hb helix 5 with the side imaging, atleast he will be able to set way points. i think he would prefer the old side finder that bottom line put out back around 2000, just a fish icon showing the fish 20 foot out left or right. they had it on the upgraded fishing buddy as well. i notice on my lowrance that the side imaging isnt that great if your just anchored, you need to be moving so not sure how the hb will work

htc

« Reply #8 on: Apr 22, 2016, 02:25 PM »
360 imaging is incredible.... mine will pick up a planer board 30 feet from the boat.

-htc

Tilted

« Reply #9 on: Apr 26, 2016, 04:53 PM »
Now this isn't side imaging or 360 degree mapping but it does have side finding ability. Essentially it's a side mounted transducer that you can point at objects. It works extremely well for what is perceived by many as a gimmick. It's made by Bottom Line and is called the sidefinder 1200... Check out the positive review on tackle tour and extremely flexible unit that can be had for short $
Chasin brown fish

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #10 on: Apr 26, 2016, 05:57 PM »
I may be a dumb ads, but what happens if you point the transducer "out" instead of down? The ping is still going out and coming back, just from the side. .. :-[
     One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

Mac Attack

« Reply #11 on: Apr 26, 2016, 07:02 PM »
I may be a dumb ads, but what happens of you point the transducer "out" instead of down? The ping its still going out and coming back, just from the side. .. :-[

:o

;)

tjacob

« Reply #12 on: Apr 26, 2016, 08:07 PM »
looks like its going to be a hb helix 5 with the side imaging, atleast he will be able to set way points. i think he would prefer the old side finder that bottom line put out back around 2000, just a fish icon showing the fish 20 foot out left or right. they had it on the upgraded fishing buddy as well. i notice on my lowrance that the side imaging isnt that great if your just anchored, you need to be moving so not sure how the hb will work
You will find the HB Helix or any of the current side view units will need to be moving to make them work. I have both a Helix 5 si and a Garmin 7 sv and of the two I much prefer the Garmin. Garmin and Lowrance will or do have units out now that are forward looking sonar. They seem similar to the old Bottomline units. They are not cheap, but I don't know of any other manufacturers that have what you seem to be looking for with the exception of HBs 360 imaging.

theron86

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2016, 09:25 AM »

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.